Duplicate posts on mobile

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Siperia

Duplicate posts on mobile

#1 Post by Siperia » 07 Jun 2018 09:18

I've noticed sometimes while replying to a topic on mobile, the posts sometimes tend to get duplicated :thinking:

Anyone else, or just me? :mrgreen:
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: Duplicate posts on mobile

#2 Post by Mohegan13 » 07 Jun 2018 09:50

It's not happened to me, but I haven't been posting on mobile the last few weeks.

Was seriously tempted to intentionally double post this.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Scaniadriver1

#3 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 07 Jun 2018 09:56

Not til now but good to know that maybe possible
Siperia

#4 Post by Siperia » 07 Jun 2018 12:31

@Moh1336; now thats just plain evil. :sob:

@Scaniadriver1; I've had it twice now, but it seems to be rare.. Dunno what causes it :D
supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 24 Aug 2018 13:01

It just happened to me. I typed a post on the forum using the Safari app on my iPhone, and hit the submit button. I only typed this post once, then I clicked out of the thread to read another thread. When I saw that someone replied to that topic, I clicked to read the reply, but I was astonished to find that my post was there twice. Unfortunately, I couldn't delete the duplicate because someone else has already replied to the thread. So I had to edit the post, then report my own post for violating forum rule 2.6. Why did this happen? :?
angrybirdseller

#6 Post by angrybirdseller » 26 Aug 2018 10:03

It to me as well. I just go back and delete the duplicate post
flight50

#7 Post by flight50 » 15 Sep 2018 23:52

It happens to me a lot. I think the reason is because on mobile, it does a preview and post the comment. We think it is just previewing but it publishes. So basically, we hit submit twice. Considering I know it happens a lot, I just go back and delete the last post.
Axel Slingerland

#8 Post by Axel Slingerland » 17 Sep 2018 04:41

Over the last 20 or so years, I've worked on many forums as both a Moderator and an Administrator, using several different forum software packages, some of which are free like PHPBB and some are very expensive, high quality programs like vBulletin and Invision Power Board. The duplicate posts thing happens on all of them, and it has nothing to do with how you post. (Computer, phone, etc.) For this reason, I think it's a PHP bug. Whenever I see a duplicate post or thread, I just delete it. In the case of duplicate threads, if both of them have posts in them, I usually try to merge them. But that sometimes leads to threads that don't make a whole lot of sense if you don't know that the threads have been merged. So I usually add a comment at the end of the first post letting people know that the threads were merged so that they won't think that everyone that posted in it was, you know, like stoned or something... [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
dkasper00

#9 Post by dkasper00 » 17 Sep 2018 05:00

Axel, there's also the bug in vbulletin where it gives longer topics 1 or 2 extra pages. I was an admin at a site that used vbulletin, we had to check the picture threads when they got over 50 pages because that was the beginning of the window for ghost pages. There was also the numerous database crashes vbulletin had.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
Axel Slingerland

#10 Post by Axel Slingerland » 17 Sep 2018 08:05

Yeah, I've heard of that but never dealt with it as I don't care for vB personally. I'm an IPB fan myself. But it has plenty of bugs of it's own. It did have some great mods though. One I particularly liked was "Annoying User". If you had an annoying user, you could turn this mod on in their profile and set it so that a specific number of pages would load slowly, how slowly they loaded, or have the numbers for each randomly chosen on the fly. It was really good. You could get troublesome people to leave on their own with that mod, because of people's natural tendency to leave sites that "don't work". [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”