Cloud Gaming and 4K and whether it is noticeable

Centrino2
Global moderator

Cloud Gaming and 4K and whether it is noticeable

#1 Post by Centrino2 » 13 Dec 2018 07:44

A big thank you for people who have OCD (although maybe it's not really an OCD) and put it to good use:

Although I have watched another review saying that it is good. But not knowing what CPU you will get when you log in is quite a deal breaker. But I guess if you can stream YouTube videos in 1080 or higher constantly and reliably then perhaps this could be good for someone... but I don't trust my current ISP.

And dis bit about 4K Monitors: Can you actually see the difference?

And here is a big 4k TV---- monitor that is good for gaming now if only AMD would do it... although I don't think I would get such a big display.... for now

BIG FORMAT
GAMING DISPLAYS

Anyway, Ondřej Dufek you sir should be the map lead for every and any SCS game, you sir get the fine details (including truck stops, rest stops, service areas yadayada). I am sure I could find something to pick out but it would be very minor (At least to me).

In other news I got a Samsung CF398 to replace the old Samsung TV energy hog. Yes there is free-sync (48-75 Hz), it was on sale for $50 off, I got an AMD R9 290, HDMI, yes it works with Free-sync. Started up Watch Dogs 2 impatiently to see the difference (1080 30-40 FPS when heavy, mostly maxed, shadows medium (frame rate killer)), and I have to say, it feels like I'm playing at 60 fps even though I know I am not most of the time. There is an Enhanced Sync option I had on but the game at one point stuttered like mad at levels I have never seen before so turned it off, and never happened again so far.

Not sure if Free-sync will eat a few frames but my 4 year old R9 290 TriXX has a fan that doesn't spin until enough volts have been sent to it (not normal, started recently). I guess its not a big issue yet as I got two other fans that pick up the slack until the other one decides to work, but this means I will have to keep an eye out for it and the others.... but I definitely see now why a fancy LED system inside the case is somewhat worthwhile (at least on the GPU), hard to see that fan deep in this dark case. I will try to see about fixing it myself if it gets bad enough (and when I'm done being lazy, never done with that), but eh... the newer stuff is better anyway.... but I'm broke. By the way, if I don't screw up an interview... and if someone else doesn't come along that is more attractive then my lazy self, then I could end up becoming a Red Hatter (intern) in the future.

Centrino2
Global moderator

Re: Cloud Gaming and 4K and whether it is noticeable

#2 Post by Centrino2 » 09 Jan 2019 04:21

Good news for those who use NVIDIA GPU's but don't have an expensive G-sync monitor, they will now support AMD's Free-sync, or VESA's Adaptive Sync (however ya see it) so very likely for those who have NVIDIA GPU's but decided to get Samsung's massive 49" Free-sync screen....

Nvidia Admits Defeat, Will Support G-Sync on FreeSync Displays

And that is all, now stop viewing this topic.

TwinShadow

#3 Post by TwinShadow » 09 Jan 2019 07:58

I sorta forgot about this topic for a bit, but here's my opinion.

Cloud gaming is doomed to failure if ISP's in the US don't shape up. Outside of very select markets, the fastest speeds usually anyone can get on average is likely no higher than 25 Mbps, which.. may be fine for some Youtube and other things... but this is also compounded by the fact that we no longer have any sort of oversight that Net Neutrality brought to the ISPs. I won't go too deep in that matter, but without competition here in the states, our internet infrastructure is going to suffer big time.

As a good portion of the community here is likely from countries not the USA, we have very little competition for ISP's. Because of this, we have one, maybe two different companies that collude with each other in markets that drives prices up or have special contracts with certain complexes or with city governments to be the only provider in certain areas or something. And stuff like this will also lead to a growth in bandwidth caps.

Games are getting bigger. I'm seeing games range in 50-80 GB each which will kill those very caps very quickly. Compounded on the fact that these companies also love to release patches that are the same size as the games themselves is only going to kill them further.

Now, perhaps it could work. Who knows. I've only seen one instance of cloud gaming via a video from Linus Tech Tips about it. I'm honestly not keen on the idea because depending on the market in the US, internet can be downright unstable and yet they would be the only company to be "competing" in the area, leaving no incentive for them to fix anything. This is not really going to bode too well for the future of gaming. Plus, I like being able to play my games without an internet connection as it'll give me something to do when I don't have internet. (as is often the case sometimes at night when my internet has a higher chance of just randomly going offline for no apparent reason)

I can't really comment on the whole Free-Sync/G-Sync type of stuff because I couldn't give a crap about this whole "144 HZ OR I NO PLAY" type of crap that gets spouted out of the PC elitists that continuously drives me insane whenever I keep seeing it. I'm personally fine with 60 Hz since I don't play Battlefield, or Call of Duty, or some other game like that because I can't stand hearing (or seeing the text of) 10 year olds thinking they're being cool by the speech they communicate on that I'd never allow my kids (if I had any) to say or they'd get a whopping for it.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 Jan 2019 19:26

@Twinshadow, I learned so much time ago not to argue at all with those "PC elitists" you mention. Most of them use to have no idea about how really a computer neither the human senses work. They are the perfect victims for the artificial hype that most companies need to do to sell some absurdly expensive things (for example, those NVIDIA GSync monitors that Centrino2 mention). So, that people need to believe in what they argue, no matter what arguments could you oppose. Otherwise they will realize the large amount of money they have thrown for nothing. It's a common behavior of humans for anything, not just computers. That's how some companies are surviving right now selling crap hardware; they just need to brand it "gamer hardware" and package it with fancy colors.

What a lot of people seems not to understand is that a video-game must be first "game" and then "video". It doesn't matter at all if a video-game has a giganourmous visual hype (selling a kidney on the black market to afford the necessary hardware, of course). If that "video" then lacks a good "game" part it will last you a few hours and then nothing. The really most successful video-games of all times, not the best-sellers but the ones that lasted in the players memories, use not to be the ones with the best graphics. They can have good graphics, yes, but they have a lot more than that and they don't need too much hardware to amuse their players for tons of hours. That's the important part; in my opinion.

So, everybody can do with their money what they want, but I find unnecessary and even grotesque some degree of boast and proselytism about certain hardware that some people do.

And about the size of some video-games you mention, the flamboyant new Red Dead Redemption 2 recently marketed reached the 100GB size. For the first time in years, one of the best-sellers games of the moment will need more than one media to be stored (two blu-rays). A lot of the people who will play it is so young that they have never seen something similar and maybe even they will be amused by it. That bubble will have to explode soon or later.

Regards

TwinShadow

#5 Post by TwinShadow » 09 Jan 2019 22:08

Ah yes, the good old "gameplay before graphics" bit. Much as I champion this idea, you'll really only see it with indie devs these days in the better cases. Though, Sony still holds to that now and then. (God of War Dad of Boi) But due to a really recent change of headquarters for Sony, I'm less inclined to bother with them too much right now. Haven't even touched my PS4 in some time for that matter.

But yes, the whole gamer hardware thing is probably going to implode on itself eventually. Its just a marketing ploy and although I do have an ROG 1070 that's factory overclocked, I don't just game. I needed a semi-decent GPU for other stuff I do, so a 1070 was the perfect middle-ground and high-end GPU for the tasks I wanted done at the time. Same with the motherboard too, but that's one of those parts you usually shouldn't cheap out on anyway; same with the power supply.

Then again, its not like marketing tricks and ads work on me anyway. I block 100% of ads, and marketing doesn't work on me. If I want to buy something, I already know what I'm looking for, so nothing will change my mind.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

Return to “Public research”