[PR] Where does SCS stand?

derLPMaxe

[PR] Where does SCS stand?

#1 Post by derLPMaxe » 10 Oct 2019 09:02

G‘day everyone,

yesterday night I‘ve stumbled across a thread in the ETS2 Steam forum. It was about the current WoTr event and a request for a similar future event or rather the quick deletion of the original thread.
Since I have not read the original thread, unfortunately, I can only speculate about the reasons for deletion.

I have supported SCS in the past and want to continue my support, but after seeing how seemingly valid suggestions get dismissed by deletion I have my doubts about it.

This is my first post to the forum, I hoped it would be about something else and more light-hearted. Also I don‘t know where else to post this, so forgive me if I posted it in the wrong sub-forum and move it to the right one.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, Max.
Fare thee as well as I fare.

Mohegan13
Beta tester

Re: [PR] Where does SCS stand?

#2 Post by Mohegan13 » 10 Oct 2019 09:11

Steam forum moderators have been deleting some posts/topics as a preventative measure. In the first couple of days there was a lot (and I do mean a lot) of trolling and ugliness hidden behind "gender" and "men cancer" labels, many people were warned and banned. So until it calms down a little they have been deleting topics/posts that might spiral.

As far as similar events go, I think it has been stated that if this goes well they may look into other charity options next year too.
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

derLPMaxe

#3 Post by derLPMaxe » 10 Oct 2019 09:47

Although as a proponent of freedom of speech I do not condone deleting posts of any kind, I understand the situation and am relieved that the deletions where not made arbitrarily.
I'm looking forward for future events and a civilised discussion once tempers settle.

Thanks for your swift and satisfying response.

flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 11 Oct 2019 04:37

@derLPMaxe. Things can get out of hand very quickly on the internet depending on the subject matter. Deleting is about the only way to avoid chaos.

angrybirdseller

#5 Post by angrybirdseller » 11 Oct 2019 05:27

If it causes bad behavior like trolling sometimes the best option to delete to people prevent further problems.

TwinShadow

#6 Post by TwinShadow » 11 Oct 2019 09:33

There is no such thing as freedom of speech on the internet. One can hold the values of it, sure, but it does not exist on the internet.

I've had several posts deleted on the Steam forums, sometimes I wish I knew why, but at the same time, I will admit, it does make me want to post less often there.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 11 Oct 2019 09:43

and freedom of speech is there to save you from the govt. so they cant harm you just because you spook against them. it doesnt mean you have the right to say everything you want
| !!!NO SUPPORT OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Video Thread | Youtube Channel | World of Trucks Profil |

Unknown#

#8 Post by Unknown# » 11 Oct 2019 11:06

TwinShadow wrote:
11 Oct 2019 09:33
I've had several posts deleted on the Steam forums, sometimes I wish I knew why, but at the same time, I will admit, it does make me want to post less often there.
Right with ya there. The forums for the games over on Steam (and forums on Steam in general) is such a toxic environment. It's always best to have alternatives.

derLPMaxe

#9 Post by derLPMaxe » 11 Oct 2019 13:28

To further specify my thoughts on freedom of speech and civil rights in general: I think of civil rights as something similar to a share-alike license. Natural and legal persons (no matter if private or governmental) should grant the same rights they are operating under to other entities they are operating with.
This is more of a utopic vision - or dystopic; depending on your point of view - than reality.
Of course I'm aware that SCS is a company operating under Czech law and that Czechia is not necessarily the place to go if you want freedom of speech and in some instances freedom of opinion. Although in general, it's a fairly free country to most people. As I've already said, at least I'm relieved that it was not deleted arbitrarily at the hand of a single individual but based upon an earlier group decisions (and to some extend in compliance with the laws of Czechia).
Last edited by derLPMaxe on 11 Oct 2019 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mohegan13
Beta tester

#10 Post by Mohegan13 » 11 Oct 2019 13:38

The moderators on Steam are American and British, I'm one of them. ;)

Although there are a couple of SCS staff that monitor, for the most part they don't moderate, too busy internally. So the Steam moderators are, like on the forum here, volunteers from the community.
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

Return to “Public research”