Research: Securing cargo on open trailers

plykkegaard

Research: Securing cargo on open trailers

#1 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Oct 2020 12:33

I have seen some examples in game of securing cargo which was not correctly done
Like all research topics this could be a nice resource with valuable tips, tricks, common sense, regulations and rules related on how to secure the cargo on trailers

IRL you have accidents happen due to improperly secured cargo
Showing a wrong approach in the game does not help at all

Eg this cargo is incorrect secured imo
The walking board support is not ment for this approach and the weldings will break

[ external image ]

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Research: Securing cargo on open trailers

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 30 Oct 2020 12:36

the strap would tear before the weld would ever come of, also this isnt the proper way to use them anyway, they should never sling around and then hook into itself, not with chains and not with straps, this significantly reduces the amount of force they can withstand
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#3 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Oct 2020 13:00

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/c ... ment-rules

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
REDMONSTER

#4 Post by REDMONSTER » 30 Oct 2020 13:00

I think the straps should be applied in an upside down "V" shape. It seems to be a better solution.
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 30 Oct 2020 13:13

For this particular cargo, the load technically has zero shifting support. Irl, that thing would slide right off. The proper way to do this load is run a strap completely over the top and criss crossed. as well as just up and over. It also has no front to rear support. Either way, something has to hold the cargo down. That is the only what to have pressure pushing down on the well of the trailer. I saw the way this was done as soon as 1.39eb released but considering its a game and the loads don't shift, I really didn't care. But aesthetically, its not correct. No matter the shape of the cargo, you go up and over on a flatbed to secure the load.........ALWAYS. You don't half do it. I never bother reporting because I doubt SCS will do anything about it anyways so why bother. It not a bug but its just not done right.

Straps can be supported on the cargo deck by some type of thick material or wood block for 2 reasons. 1) to protect the strap from tearing and 2) to not damage the cargo from the force applied to tightening down the cargo, the buffer material takes the load of damage. At the very least, the pic below makes the load more secure than what it is currently.

[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Oct 2020 13:27

You have a nice sledge why not use it and add anker points?
I am no export on the matter just a former machinist and certified 8 ton truck crane operator :D

supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 30 Oct 2020 14:06

Unlike with chains, the purpose of straps is to simply put downward pressure on the load to increase the amount of friction it has on the trailer deck, requiring a larger force to be able to make the load slide around. If you want to use tension to hold the load in place, you need to use chains. If SCS wanted to secure the load the way they have it, they need to use chains rather than straps.

@flight50 I think the illustration you made above would be a good solution to fix the securement for that load. Up and over the cargo is how straps should be. Nice new avatar, by the way!
flight50

#8 Post by flight50 » 30 Oct 2020 15:09

Thanks @supersobes. I'm trying to blend in a little more, lol. People see the lil red truck and take my words literal when I speculate and thats has recently gotten me in trouble. So maybe a change in scenery and less sharing of my opinions won't upset the devs anymore.

For the strapping above, maybe it works best for ATS. I don't know what SCS gave us in regards to anchor points on all the low boys but perhaps chains can go front and back if there are anchor points. That way it supports side to side and front to back. I doubt a devs sees this post and does anything about it though.
plykkegaard

#9 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Oct 2020 15:18

The above cargo is reported as an bug and I left a link to this thread
I'd say the dev have the opportunity

Some newbie driver

#10 Post by Some newbie driver » 30 Oct 2020 20:45

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that case, the correct way to secure shouldn't had been something like this?

- To avoid lateral cargo displacement, on the front and rear of the tank two sets of chains/straps should be hooked to the cargo forming an X pattern (the chain/strap linked to the left of the trailer floor should be hooked on the upper right side of the tank, and vice versa)
- To avoid longitudinal cargo displacement, a similar X pattern than the previous one should be done at both laterals of the tank.

@supersobes I'm curious about the difference chains/stripes you mention. I though both work the same with the differences of that straps could be "gentle" securing some loads more delicate.

Regards

Return to “Public research”