Can I be a Beta or Alpha Tester for American Truck Simulator

Dr doom

Re: Can I be a Beta or Alpha Tester for American Truck Simul

#21 Post by Dr doom » 14 Aug 2015 23:38

@Reef

In order to become a beta tester you have to contact SCS Software support (support@scssoft.com) and tell them a bit about your self and why you want to become a beta tester (make sure that you say that you want to become a beta tester for ETS2 or you will not be accepted), then after a long time (I think more than 3 years) you might be invited to ATS. The only ATS beta testers I know are people who where beta testers for previous games like Trucks And Trailers or Scania Truck Driving Simulator.

Cadde

#22 Post by Cadde » 15 Aug 2015 00:19

I feel confident that i would be accepted as an ATS beta tester, without having been an ETS 2 beta tester.
But i don't want to do that because i know i won't be able to live up to my own expectations.
Which incidentally applies to being an ETS 2 beta tester as well. Heck, at some points i am not even worthy of being a moderator because of the extended leaves i take without prior notice as my attention is drawn elsewhere.
On extended hiatus.

thebigbadonion

#23 Post by thebigbadonion » 15 Aug 2015 00:58

I think a lot of it depends on how you are, and conduct your self around the community. If you've been around here a long time, and been active on here, I would say beyond any doubt the best way to apply to be a beta tester, or anything else is to ask a member of SCS staff directly on these forums. After all, by the time you've been on here especially for as long as some members, you by now and have 1000+ posts, and I'm pretty sure at some point you'll have come to the attention of someone, just as long as it isn't for the wrong reasons, of course :lol:

Having said that though, no matter how active you are on here, or how you conduct your self, I would say the best way to be an ATS beta tester is to not ask for it. The moment you ask for it, it looks like you just want early access to a yet unreleased game, even if that might not be the case. The best thing to do is get your foot in the door in some way, or SCS are immediately going to say no, if they bother to respond at all. You should start by asking to just be a beta tester, and not specify, of course you'll only get access to ETS 2 updates, but that's when you start to prove your self to be trust worthu, and useful to them.

My reasons for never bothering to ask about it are similar to Caddes. I don't feel I'd be helpful enough, nor would I have the patience to sit and look for bugs for hours on end, my ADD would probably get in the way :lol: Often looking for issues with a game is different to just playing a game. I may never have been a beta tester, but I have been a game reviewer, and even playing a game to review it is very different to chilling out and just having fun with it. The obvious perk of being a tester is that you get access to early builds, and amongst first to try out, and give feedback on new features, which is why so many ask (especially with ATS) but that should never be your reason for wanting to do it. You should be asking because you want to help out with development, and if that's the case, you'll be happy to test ETS2 anyway.

Cadde

#24 Post by Cadde » 15 Aug 2015 13:30

I wouldn't sit around waiting for it to come to me. If you have what it takes to be a proper beta tester (read, you are actually testing EVERYTHING to destruction in the game) then you should apply. I have never been offered a spot as a beta tester.
But that application is going to be a bit more than "hay, i wanna be a beta tester pls PM me". You will have to work for it.

On the flipside though, i never asked to become a moderator of the forums. In fact i wasn't exactly for the idea when i was asked to become one. But seeing as how i spent so much time on the forums doing what i do, it was just par for the course that i would become a moderator so that, rather than using the "report post" option several times a day i could do the moderation myself.
Unlike beta testing though, becoming a moderator is sort of an invite only process where one of the other moderators suggest it or an admin/staff makes you one.

But my point is, if you want to be a beta tester or anything else around here. You put in the work (report bugs on public betas is a good start) and then you write your resume and send it to SCS staff directly.
On extended hiatus.

SabR

#25 Post by SabR » 15 Aug 2015 15:01

The wise people have spoken and I'd like to add a small think-it-this-way post for the OP.

Do you want to be a lab rat? You'll be tested upon and you will burn out way before you can say, enuff! The grass always looks greener from the other side, its only when you stand on it you'd see the real picture. IMO, the job of the beta testers is somewhat similar to caring for the newborn. They (the beta game) need constant attention and the time spent on taking care of them will outweigh the time you play with 'em cuddlies. ;)

And you thought being a CEO means yacht parties with bikini models & champagne coasting on the sides of the French Riviera? ahhhhh... should i've quoted spiderman's uncle's quotes... with power comes responsibility? :P

Reef
Beta tester

#26 Post by Reef » 15 Aug 2015 17:55

Dr doom wrote:@Reef

In order to become a beta tester you have to.... <snip>
Why are you telling me? I am already an ETS2 and ATS beta tester, have been since before Scan DLC was released ;)

SimulatorSam

#27 Post by SimulatorSam » 15 Aug 2015 21:03

^^
Was about to say that exact thing :?

Dr doom, look in people's profiles and view groups they are in ;) (Example for me: I'm in Registered users, Global moderators & ETS2 Beta Testers. Main group: Global moderators.)

Dr doom

#28 Post by Dr doom » 16 Aug 2015 03:02

Reef wrote:Why are you telling me? I am already an ETS2 and ATS beta tester, have been since before Scan DLC was released ;
This is because some of your points/steps where wrong, for example:
1) Be a regular contributing member of this forum/community
there are beta testers who don't even have 1 post on this forum ;)
2) Submit bug reports in the appropriate and documented manner (as a regular member)
if people didn't even have 1 post, how are they beta testers?
5) After a suitable proofing period then and only then apply to be an ETS2 Beta tester via PM to Michal (Admin) but please also bear in mind he is very busy
you do not PM the admin, you email SCS Software Support ;)

jarvik79

#29 Post by jarvik79 » 16 Aug 2015 07:16

You forgot the last ones:

Don't sound like a total fool in public, especially by making snide or unnecessary comments regarding other SCS staff members & beta testers
Keep calm when asking people for more information about a bug
Make relevant and accurate posts in SCS's public forum, and apologise when you make a mistake

Looking at your past posts, you seem to be failing on all of those three so far. Stop throwing stones if you live in a glass greenhouse.

CrazyGijs

#30 Post by CrazyGijs » 16 Aug 2015 08:00

@Dr doom

What Reef said is completely fine. There are people who became a Beta Tester not via the forum, but something like YT. (Squirrel).
And you can PM Michal, that's what I did and I'm a Beta Tester :lol:

Intel Core i5 9600k, Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F, 16GB 3000 Mhz Corsair RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB, Logitech G502, Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & pedals LC + P1 rim, Driving Force Shifter + DIY Scania SKRS.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”