ATS 32 bit or not

thebigbadonion

Re: ATS 32 bit or not

#71 Post by thebigbadonion » 18 Jan 2016 05:58

I agree they could have communicated this a little sooner. But bare in mind this isn't as big of a limitation as some people might think or are making out. Any stand alone or upgrade license of vista onwards is valid for both the 64 bit and 32 bit editions. Its likely you already have the installation media for it in your retail box, or from Microsofts download site. For OEM users (those of you who got it with the PC it is a little trickier, since you would have to obtain the installation media, and the only way to do that (legally) is through your computer manufacturer, and its possible that 32bit OEM key might not activate on 64 bit of that same OS, I've never tried it, so it might.

But for anyone with 7 and 8 remember you still have that upgrade to Windows 10, now might be the ideal time to consider using it, a lot of other games these days have started ot requite 64bit as well. Once you've activated the upgrade you can head over to Microsoft's website, and download the installation media very easily, and just clean install the 64 bit version, and as long as you choose the correct edition (home or pro) it does activate fine, I've done it. Sure it might take a day or so backing up all your files, running the installation etc, but when its done you'll have full access to all your RAM, a fresh and shiny new windows install and your pc will likely be running better.

Those of you who don't have 4gb or more RAM, or even worse a 64 bit processor are under the minimum requirements for the game anyway, so even with a 32bit version of the game, your not going to be running it. As for you guys on XP, I think you might have gotten your monies worth by now :lol:

This scenario really is typical of playing games on PC a new game comes along and there's a chance if your not running an up to date system that your going to have to change something to be able to play. Look on the bright side the requirements for ATS for a modern game are very low, at least the requiements don't read something like this.

Code: Select all

Minimum
CPU:	Intel Core i5-2500k, 3.3GHz / AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3GHz
RAM:	6 GB
OS:	Vista SP2 / Windows 7.1 SP1 / Windows 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB)
Free Disk Space:	54 GB

Recommended
CPU:	Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
RAM:	8 GB
OS:	Vista SP2 / Windows 7.1 SP1 / Windows 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) / AMD R9 290 (4GB)
Free Disk Space: 54 GB
Cadde wrote:User made trucks would still be legally portable. As would user made maps. By their respective authors or someone with explicit permission of course.
Well of course but I was more talking about the actual SCS models or mods that heavily rely on them.
SiSL
SCS Software

#72 Post by SiSL » 18 Jan 2016 06:03

Axel mate, we do understand there will be people who can not afford upgrade their old computer.

But just because they will not be able to upgrade, does progress of rest 75% has to stop? Quality to be always to be low --because you can only do so much with 14 year old tech DX9, not improved with new developed technologies at all?

Because we know game will not advance any more if you limit it with 25%'s computers.

May be they should really make ETS2 leave here, and continue with ETS3 title or ETS NGE title.

Btw I urge Windows 7 & Windows 8 /8.1 users to upgrade Windows 10 while they have the chance to upgrade for free...
thebigbadonion

#73 Post by thebigbadonion » 18 Jan 2016 06:15

Upgrades also don't have to be that expensive, especially just to run a game with moderate requirements like this. if your running a machine with windows 7 or 8 already, you already have access to Windows 10, so the 64 bit thing is a totally free upgrade, with a bit of messing you can get the 64bit version of those too.

I recently managed to upgrade a 9 year old HP sff pc that couldn't run ETS 1 nevermind ETS 2 for £65. Now it runs ETS 2 pretty well, sure it can't max it out at 60fps, but I have no doubt in my mind that it will be just fine with ATS. Here's the link to a thread I made about that. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=198148

What's more its likely your PC doesn't have the limitations that did, so your ability to upgrade it further than I dared likely won't cost you much more. Shop around, and Ebay is definitely your friend in this situation
TwinShadow

#74 Post by TwinShadow » 18 Jan 2016 06:50

SiSL wrote:Btw I urge Windows 7 & Windows 8 /8.1 users to upgrade Windows 10 while they have the chance to upgrade for free...
I'mma keep my Windows 7 for as long as I possibly can, thank you very much. Not sure I like Microsoft snooping on my system where they don't belong when it comes to Windows 10. Bad enough I use it on my newer laptop, I definitely don't want them on my desktop where I do a lot of my work stuff.
Axel Slingerland

#75 Post by Axel Slingerland » 18 Jan 2016 07:03

SiSL wrote:Axel mate, we do understand there will be people who can not afford upgrade their old computer.

But just because they will not be able to upgrade, does progress of rest 75% has to stop?
I never suggested that they did, or should. My whole point (which has nothing to do with them) was that a lot of people can't upgrade their computers. And that could be from any number of reasons. That could be from a lack of skills to do it themselves, lack of money, they might be children and the computer they use may not be their own (such as it's their parent's computer), the list could go on for days. Whatever the reason is, if they can't, they can't. And since SCS has moved on, all they can do is stick with what they have.

thebigbadonion wrote:Upgrades also don't have to be that expensive, especially just to run a game with moderate requirements like this.
I am aware of all that too. It doesn't change anything for those who can't, unless it was about money. But let's say someone has a computer that would be upgradable, but they owner of it has other priorities for their money. Rent or a mortgage to pay, mouths to feed, health problems, a lot of bills... Like I said, the reasons they can't upgrade could be anything. If they can't do it, they just can't. I really don't see what is so hard to understand about that.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
thebigbadonion

#76 Post by thebigbadonion » 18 Jan 2016 07:23

First of all I wasn't addressing you directly, especially with the cheap upgrade comment, but Its not hard to understand, that's the point I'm making. Financially for most people running more recent 32 bit operating systems, which is the point of this thread, and the barrier a lot of people have, is the upgrade is almost certainly going to be free. since PC processors have been 64 bit for a long time, that isn't going to be a barrier, so you just need to reinstall a 64 bit version of windows. So if running ATS is that big of a concern to them, they can do that, if they're willing. Sitting here shouting about how unfair this all is isn't going to solve anything, there's millions of guides on the internet that explain in great detail how to go about installing windows. This is something we all have to deal with when we choose to play games on a PC. Eventually that once blisteringly fast top of the line computer is going to sooner or later be out of date, and no longer run what you want it to.

Those who can't upgrade for whatever reason,the unfortunate truth is your just going to have to wait it out until maybe your situation changes. I've been there too, I'm there right now with a few more demanding games, that I really want to play, but can't. I don't have the money to upgrade my PC either, and its unlikely I will have any time soon. But I also don't sit here complaining, its unfortunate but hey that's life.
Last edited by thebigbadonion on 18 Jan 2016 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Leen

#77 Post by Leen » 18 Jan 2016 07:24

Windows 10 isn't free at all you pay it with your privacy ;) but that besides.
I had a 10 years old AMD athlon 64 bit computer which cost me 100 euro for a couple years ago, you can buy anough older 64 bit computers for cheap prices, with luck you get a second hands GTX660 ti for a reasonable price and you good to go.
Don't expect high/ultra settings but you can play ATS in my opinion, for a 300 euro more you can buy a Intel i5 64 bit computer with enough memory, buy a GTX750 ti and you good to go.
If you don't have the money to buy anything new or upgrading you stuck with ETS2, don't blame the manufacture because they think in the future and can't please everybody.

If I couldn't buy a upgrade or computer I will accept it and stay on ETS2, the Rolling Stones has a song called "You can get always what you want" ;)
thebigbadonion

#78 Post by thebigbadonion » 18 Jan 2016 07:26

Quite often though, you can change any 32 bit version of windows (vista onwards) to its 64 bit counterpart, going the windows 10 route is the easiest, but its not your only option.
SimulatorSam

#79 Post by SimulatorSam » 18 Jan 2016 07:41

I don't really want to upgrade to Windows 10 for the moment, because I want to stick with what works. Many many times when I've upgraded I've had issues, and, to be honest I quite like Windows 8.1.
SiSL
SCS Software

#80 Post by SiSL » 18 Jan 2016 08:21

Oh there is a HAARP device that can make earthquakes too from satellites...

is actually same thing saying you have any actual private data that can possibly have an interest to government so that it will get your life.

Anyway, too much of Windows 10 privacy BS :D

Answering yes or no is too much work for people to open / close if they want auto-correct suggestions meanwhile we enjoy DX12's performance joy ;)

Return to “American Truck Simulator”