Washington State Road Signage Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Washington State Road Signage Thread

#1 Post by supersobes » 01 Nov 2018 20:05

While is is currently unconfirmed, it is highly speculated that Washington State is going to be one of the next states for American Truck Simulator. That is why I would like to start this thread for the ATS map team and asset team to refer to while making road signage for Washington state in American Truck Simulator. In this thread, I will be posting about the road signage in Washington state. Anyone else who has helpful information about the road signage in Washington state is also welcome to post their ideas and information here as well. Please note that this is not a speculation thread or a discussion thread about a Washington state DLC. For that, please post in the ATS General Discussion forum.

EXIT TABS:

Notice that the exit tabs on overhead gantry signs vary from state to state. In Oregon, the exit tabs are centred on top of the sign with a large to medium gap in between the exit tab and the main body of the sign. The most common types of exit tabs are shown below in the New Mexico example. They are offset on top of the gantry sign with little to no gap in between. They get placed on the right side of the sign for right exits (Example: I-40 West to Louisiana Boulevard) and on the left side of the sign for left exits (Example: I-81 South to I-66 East). However, in Washington state, the exit tabs are integrated into the main body of the sign. It is separated from all of the other information by a white line, and the text is always centred on the sign.

The same idea applies to road side navigation signs:

Please note that these are only general guidelines, and that there are some exceptions out there, but for the most part, the signs follow these guidelines. However, I would advise SCS should stick to using the general guidelines.

SPEED LIMITS:

All of the speed limit signs in Washington contain the word "LIMIT." On roads with a speed limit of 65 MPH+, they use the same "TRUCKS 60" plaque that Oregon uses. The truck speed limit throughout Washington it 60 MPH.

STATE ROUTE SHIELD:

Washington's state route shield is George Washington's head (George Washington was the first US president). Just like the US route shield and most other state route shields, it get placed on green navigation signs with no black border. It only gets a black border when it is used as a standalone sign.

Last edited by SimulatorSam on 20 Nov 2018 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Public research > American Truck Simulator

Kraake
SCS Software

Re: Washington State Road Signage Thread

#2 Post by Kraake » 20 Feb 2019 12:53

Those are very nice examples. To have examples from all US would be damn nice as we could avoid mistakes in the future.

supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 20 Feb 2019 13:28

Kraake wrote:
20 Feb 2019 12:53
To have examples from all US would be...nice as we could avoid mistakes in the future.
I could make a thread dedicated to exit tabs by state if you would like. I could specifically list out all the designs that each state uses. I'll add it to my to-do list. I want to finish my Virginia pre-research tips thread first.

Kraake
SCS Software

#4 Post by Kraake » 20 Feb 2019 13:55

supersobes wrote:
20 Feb 2019 13:28
Kraake wrote:
20 Feb 2019 12:53
To have examples from all US would be...nice as we could avoid mistakes in the future.
I could make a thread dedicated to exit tabs by state if you would like. I could specifically list out all the designs that each state uses. I'll add it to my to-do list. I want to finish my Virginia pre-research tips thread first.
That would be great! Take your time & take it easy!

supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 20 Feb 2019 14:50

I just realized that I misspelled "Seattle" in the exit tabs image... :?

Kraake
SCS Software

#6 Post by Kraake » 20 Feb 2019 15:12

supersobes wrote:
20 Feb 2019 14:50
I just realized that I misspelled "Seattle" in the exit tabs image... :?
And there (one of above) is "Seattle harour" as well. But who cares? It's a nice piece of work anyway! Image

Kraake
SCS Software

#7 Post by Kraake » 26 Feb 2019 18:12

to supersobes:

As we need all the information ASAP I have created these topics:

:arrow: Exit tabs in the US

:arrow: Speed limit signs in the US

:arrow: State route shields in the US

supersobes
Global moderator

#8 Post by supersobes » 26 Feb 2019 21:00

Okay Kraake, thank you for the questions. I will post some information there as soon as I get time to do so. I have already replied to your speed limits thread.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”