Texas pre-research tips

Esproquet

Re: Texas pre-research tips

#151 Post by Esproquet » 30 Nov 2020 07:50

If you have any further info about the plant, it will be very much welcome, like the areas where it grows wild, for instance. As an ornament plant it can be found almost anywhere in the world, even as an invasive species near the coast in dry weather climates. I think you call it century plant (or sentry) in the states.

I posted it because I happened to find it in another videogame located in the Texas region, I googled it and found out that it's endemic of that area.

Jbte

#152 Post by Jbte » 21 Dec 2020 20:52

I hope we can get better palm trees than these shown in Christmas stream, which I believe is located in Galveston, Tx in the game.
https://goo.gl/maps/CcGEkVwcXzhkVyNJ6

The correct palm tree is called "washingtonia robusta", common in coastal regions of South Texas, some regions in New Mexico, Arizona and even southern California.

Please create different sizes, small palms and taller. examples;

Notice how some palms has their dry leaves on it and some other not, please make variants with some with the dry leaves and some cleared.

flight50

#153 Post by flight50 » 21 Dec 2020 23:49

Those are some very good palm trees but they don't seem accurate for the exact scene SCS is depicting in Galveston. In SCS's defense, it looks like what they modeled, is more accurate than your pics my friend. None of your pics looks like the palms in the area SCS made. SCS made thicker trunks but still they look legit to me. @CodArk2 also provided the Google Earth link to the area from the Texas discussion thread. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2992707 ... 8192?hl=en.

It is still a work in progress though as the scene is not fully detailed out like the link to the actual location. We are missing signage, stop lights and polishing vegetation. Next time we see this scene, it should be a tad different though. The real life scene kinda looks like 2 variants of palm trees though. There is a thin trunk and a side trunk. Yet they are much taller than your posted pics and seem to be all tree bark vs your pics have dried vegetation up the tree. I don't see SCS changing them.

SuchManor

#154 Post by SuchManor » 22 Dec 2020 02:25

I at least hope they update the palm tree assets they're using. The ones they used have been in since the game first came out, and they don't look good.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots

flight50

#155 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2020 02:38

You guy realize everything can't be 100% perfect right. Most things are subjective to what we all thing though so that's understood. I'd rather see things like junctions and signs be accurate. Concrete forms and signage is much easier to be accurate than vegetation. Vegetation variety it too wide to be exact. If I was a dev, if something is fairly close, I'd use it too. No point in having 1,000 plant species for a game when there is something similar.

SuchManor

#156 Post by SuchManor » 22 Dec 2020 03:22

We are just telling what we hope flight. Its not like we are telling SCS it has to be this way to be right, that is why we use the word "hope". I don't know why you are taking this so personally. Of course it would be better to have accurate signs and junctions, but that doesn't mean we cant hope for other things. Vegetation means just as much to the world as signs and roads. This is a pre research thread after all, to help the SCS devs with the making of Texas to be as good as possible. I'm sure they probably don't know much about the different types of palm trees in the CZ. And all I'm mentioning is updating an age old asset, isn't that what they do all the time? What's wrong with hoping for that? No need to be so defensive for no reason.
Check out my screenshots

flight50

#157 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2020 04:18

That's your assumption that I am taking is personal. No one is taking anything personal that either of you are saying as it doesn't affect me in anyway. I'm giving my opinion just like you two are but apparently since I disagree, you are taking it personal. If they change it, they change it. I am just saying I don't think they need to because I think its fine.

I'm also just saying it doesn't have to be perfect. I also mentioned its subjective and I understand if people see it differently than I do. But I am sure you ignored that part and assumed I am offended. I can careless if they want to spend the extra time creating extra assets. But I am thinking about time and what I'd do and I wouldn't do it.

Funny how when I disagree with people people get offended but no one makes much of an issue when I agree with people. Why is that. How come no one gets pissed and mad when I agree with people. I agree with people far more often than I disagree but seems like people always want to point me out when I disagree around here for some reason. People always try to make me out as if things have to be my way. This labeling is getting old. I contribute post just like everyone else whether I disagree or agree.

SuchManor

#158 Post by SuchManor » 22 Dec 2020 06:42

It was just my take on the words you used and how they made you sound.

In my opinion I don't think there could ever be too much variation in vegetation. If a certain type of it is used it a certain state then it should be made for that state, if SCS is trying to make their world look as real as possible. Vegetation is just as important or else every state will look the same with the same trees. Nobody wants that.

Also I have no clue what you're talking about with people getting pissed or not as I don't come on this forum every day to track what you or other people say.
Check out my screenshots

flight50

#159 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2020 07:07

I can agree that where certain vegetation is required in its proper region, that it should be depicted as such. There shouldn't be a night a day difference. But when things are similar, use it. There should be assets that can always be recycled. Not everything but some. This speeds up development. If SCS needs to create 100% new assets with all 48 contiguous states, that's a huge library that kinda turns out to be proprietary and takes a lot more time. If people are accepting of lets say ProMod recycling assets, why not SCS when things are similar. Somethings are easier to recycle than others though. For the casual gamer, most people won't do the research or notice the difference is lets say plant species. Unless someone points it out though. The palm trees is a perfect example. Most people will see it a a palm tree and think nothing more if its similar to the scene depicted. But when specifics get tossed into the equation, the average gamer will not know the difference in minute details.

You don't have to be here everyday to see what I or other people are saying. I just brought you up to speed and on what I have to deal with nearly every time new info comes out and many people start commenting. People that are not here frequently are always the ones that assume I get offended about stuff when I disagree or comment on new things that SCS talks about. It never fails. I'm just giving you insight on what I have to deal with from being an active member by engaging in numerous topics around this forum.

Jbte

#160 Post by Jbte » 22 Dec 2020 14:38

@flight50 Trust me if we want a better and realistic Texas we have to help out SCS do it right. Take an example the suggestion I gave SCS for the pine flora in Colorado DLC they actually listened to me and made the proper changes which by now that DLC looks much better, I remember you were saying the pines were fine which wasn't, please don't take it personal criticism, but please ask them to improve if we want a top quality DLC for Texas, I do love that state. Just as the correct signage on roads I do also pay attention to the proper use of flora in different biomes.

I'm 100% sure the palms in Galveston are Washingtonian Robusta, if you said that the palm I posted in pictures look drier its because most of the palms are not maintained as like in urban areas or main avenues, that's why I said there should be a variant of dry leaves and cleared, look above. I've been to south Texas several times and I know that kind of tree. SCS old palm trees are unrealistic, the colors used and proportions are no quite right, even for California which these were originally made for in 2016, it's just a suggestion which I hope they can improve and I'll continue to critic their work, so they can improve and grow and offer a much better product because I support SCS and I love their projects.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”