Texas pre-research tips

Esproquet

Re: Texas pre-research tips

#171 Post by Esproquet » 22 Dec 2020 18:28

These are ornamental plants, they grow on their own on certain places of the world or in palm nurseries, most of them are planted/transplanted on urban territory just to decorate. Right now I'm looking outside my window and I can see both types, and at my work it's the same, both palms.

These plants need trimming and pruning, that's why the trunks may look different.

[ external image ]
flight50

#172 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2020 18:36

Jbte wrote: 22 Dec 2020 18:19 There's no big difference in the bark than the color, see picture above you can see the Phoenix canariensis the bark is brownish while Washingtonian robusta is grey
Yeah I'm speaking of this difference in bark from the pic you originally posted vs what Esproquet posted. Is the bark pruned as well?

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Esproquet

#173 Post by Esproquet » 22 Dec 2020 19:59

Palm trees aren't strictly trees, they're more likely woody herbs, they lack wood and branches. They need to be pruned and trimmed to look nice, but it's an expensive process, that's why sometimes they don't cut the dead leaves and they hang over each other. As for the trunk, it can be polished totally or partially, it's up to your aesthetical values.

I just returned from a short walk with my wife and found plenty of these trees in the parks near my home, I took a couple of pictures of washingtonians partially trimmed, I'm not a good gardener, I don't know the consequences for trimming.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

These ducks found home under these young Canarian Palms.

[ external image ]
flight50

#174 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2020 20:56

Ahhhhhh. Thank you kindly for those pics. Now it all makes since. I know very little about vegetation species. Nice education lesson.
Esproquet

#175 Post by Esproquet » 23 Dec 2020 08:45

My pleasure, participating in these research topics makes you more aware of this kind of things, I love learning new things.
Esproquet

#176 Post by Esproquet » 03 Jan 2021 22:04

I know it is a bit off topic, but reviewing Iberian screenshots I found out this one of Barcelona's seafront in which we can observe both plants (Canarian & Washingtonian), presenting the last ones peeled trunks up to a height of approximately 4 meters.

[ external image ]
flight50

#177 Post by flight50 » 03 Jan 2021 22:37

So looks like SCS just needs to bring that model to ATS or if it is there already, swap it out. Like I mentioned before, what we have in Galveston, could have been place holders. The Texas screen shots they showed was very very rough draft or it was just a matter of someone not really knowing the difference.
Bob123412

#178 Post by Bob123412 » 27 Jan 2021 21:13

I would like to say that Traveling through the US border checkpoint coming out of Laredo On I-35 was probably on of the most unusual things i experienced on the road. Now I only went through it once back in 20018 So it may not be have been the normal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9039554 ... a=!3m1!1e3

There were a lot of trucks on the road that day. As I approached the the barriers where the highway was shut and traffic veered off I could see the stopped cars on the left waiting to get through, however trucks seemed to just move through. As I came around the corner there was a border patrol officer walking up between the truck lanes, subtly pointing left and right to tell the trucks which lane to go into. He slowly was pacing up and down unfazed by the trucks driving close to him. As I approached the booth I saw a second officer majestically standing on one of the concrete dividers beside a signal light peering through the windows of the trucks as they pulled in. I drove up to the booth and didn't even come to a full stop. The officer inside asked if I was an United states citizen. I said one word, Canada, and he waved me through.

Like I said I don't know if that's the normal experience or not but I thought I should share it anyway.

I also wanted to note that it seemed common for vehicles to drive across the grassy median between the runner roads and the main highway, especially in rural areas or when dealing with traffic jams,
joschac2

#179 Post by joschac2 » 28 Jan 2021 15:34

@Bob123412 I watch a truckers Youtube and he went though that same checkpoint. He just said He was a American citizen and told him what he was carrying and he was waved though.
flight50

#180 Post by flight50 » 28 Feb 2021 19:01

I was over in the Texas Discussion thread and started talking about industries, but the post turned out to be more than I was expecting, lol. The below is probably better of here instead.

I'm seriously hoping Texas can bring several new industries and seriously expand on others. I'm hoping to see an expanded farming, livestock and oil/gas industry. Chemicals as well. The ports have several chemical companies around. More new prefabs and hopefully new companies for sure.
  • In regards to expanded farming
- cotton crops, corn crops, wheat crops, rice crops, sugar cane crops, peanuts and pecans. Fish out in the Gulf of Mexico

• In regards to new industries
- energy, textiles, automotive, healthcare, aerospace.

-Automotive. We have car dealerships and but technically, no industry for them. Texas has GM and Toyota plants. This could revamp the current things we do have. Reworked car hauler. Bring the dedicated car hauler. Without it, that industry won't be realistic. It would be just as complicated as the lowboys unfortunately but with more geometry. Its necessary for the automotive industry though. We also need a much larger pool of AI cars to make it work.

-Energy. I don't know if Wyoming brings this but the energy sector is huge in Texas. Expecially the Houston area. Its not just oil/gas that drive energy. Wind farms, solar energy, coal and nuclear energy are all forms of energy outside of gas plants for energy.

-Textiles. Just like anything made from raw materials, textiles starts from somewhere. With cotton, this can open doors for clothing stores. At least 2-3 in all of ATS. Kohls, Ross, TJ Max, Macy's...something. Textiles can of course go to Wallbert. If SCS ever make them, Target, Sam's and Costco would be in that list to relieve the sam products as Walbert.

-Healthcare. Houston is one of the leading sectors in the US. There are a few non functioning healthcare facilities in ATS. We don't need a ton of them for deliveries but enough of them to make the industry valid would be nice.

-Aerospace. I won't hype this one but it would be completely unique to see in ATS. I've never dug into it to see how beneficial it would be to ATS though.

• In regards to expanded industries
- oil/gas, chemicals, livestock - Texas should bring at least another 4 gas companies. We only have Gallon. The Texas coastline has Shell, Exxon, Valero, Philips and Chevron at the ports between Port Arthur/Beaumont, Baytown/Houston, Galveston/Texas City/Freeport and Corpus/Port Aransas . I think its time add new gas companies and replace the repetitive Gallon's across the map.

-Oil/Gas. The Gulf Coast shoreline for Texas is littered with refineries, storage facilities and deep sea oil rigs

-The livestock sector in Texas will be huge. Wyoming might start it off, but Texas should seriously expand it. Wyoming is bring beef. Texas can add both beef and sheep. Sheep is lamb, wool and milk. Add to cotton and wool has a lot of potential for the textile tile industry.

-Chemicals. We are getting another mine in Wyoming. It would be nice to see a fertilizer plant

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/ent ... industries
Petrochemical, inorganic chemicals and others like soaps and cleaners. Companies like Procter and Gamble would be nice.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”