[REWORK] Colorado rework tips (originally pre-research)

Cragner

Re: Colorado pre-research tips

#81 Post by Cragner » 09 Sep 2019 00:00

Xaagon wrote: 07 Sep 2019 00:51 Not sure civilian drivers would be going to Cheyenne Mountain, or driving the Pikes Peak road... but they did add that road in California that commercial vehicles aren't supposed to use and added a road up to Mount Saint Helens in Washington, so I suppose they could do this. With the 1/20 scale you might be able to see Denver and Pueblo from up there.

Colorado Springs' airport shares a runway with Peterson Air Force Base... again, not really a destination for civilian trucks. If they include Colorado highway 21 (runs north-south through the eastern part of Colorado Springs, they might consider including the airport. Another thing that folks might find interesting in that neighborhood is the Airplane Restaurant - they have their building connected to a retired fuel plane (that would refuel aircraft in mid-flight) that's been retrofitted with tables for people to eat in:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8062995 ... 312!8i6656

If they include Colorado highway 115 they will be going directly past Fort Carson (again, probably not a destination for civilian trucks) and may want to add the museum with their tanks in the parking lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7376086 ... 312!8i6656
Commercial vehicles including semis do access Ft Carson and Peterson AFB. Ft Carson also gets commercial trucks carrying military vehicles like tanks and trucks. Both bases get delivies of "normal" cargo as well. Fort Carson would also be an excellent spot for the helicopter special transport.
Xaagon

#82 Post by Xaagon » 09 Sep 2019 02:48

OK, I stand corrected. I realized that the bases would receive truck deliveries, but didn't know it would be civilian trucks also.

If SCS does add military bases (they had a couple in 18 Wheels of Steel), Colorado Springs would definitely be a place to add one or more.

There's also a number of defense contractors in Colorado Springs, Lockheed, Boeing, etc. Maybe they could also add a branch office of "Darwing" here?
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8397389 ... 312!8i6656
Bedavd

#83 Post by Bedavd » 09 Sep 2019 19:20

I could be wrong (and often am) but doesn’t SCS have an unspoken rule of not including anything military?
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Cragner

#84 Post by Cragner » 09 Sep 2019 21:26

That could very well be true, but they do include an F22 and the entrance to the Yuma Proving Grounds, with 2 large cannons. Maybe just no bases or game focused material, like deliveries or cargo.
Some newbie driver

#85 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 Sep 2019 21:35

Bedavd wrote: 09 Sep 2019 19:20 I could be wrong (and often am) but doesn’t SCS have an unspoken rule of not including anything military?
There are several European places with an event that consist on military fight planes flying over the terrain in pairs at low altitude.

And there aren't regular ones, I think they have been modeled on purpose. It's very hard to see in live, but they seemed to me Eurofighters on Germany, Rafales on France and Tornados on UK (so, they seem selected to fit the apropiate planes one could find on those places).

On Sweden there are also several SAAB military plane models depicted as sculptures in 3 spots at the side of a highway (don't remember where now)

So, it's clear they include military if that fits and its representative of a place.

There's also a random road event that consist on a fight plane fuselage that has fall down from the platform trailer while it had being transported. The plane looks like some kind of French Mirage.

Regards
Bedavd

#86 Post by Bedavd » 10 Sep 2019 13:22

That’s my fault. I worded that poorly. I know they’ve shown up as landmarks, and that they fly over Nevada and Europe. I think they have said they wont offer military based cargo or destinations, though.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#87 Post by flight50 » 10 Sep 2019 19:08

I'd have to agree with Bedavd. I believe SCS does want to clear military establishments. I wouldn't broadcast it. I know there is Google Maps and we can find them ourselves, but if I was a dev, I wouldn't be bold enough to point them out in a game that is suppose to be a sim. Flight Sim uses satellite so that's also a different beast.

I will admit, that getting them in, would be awesome though. The amount of cargo going in and out would be sweet. Too risky to add though. Planes are different. Anything off base is different. They are landmarks and tourist sites for the most part.
Some newbie driver

#88 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Sep 2019 19:48

Bedavd wrote: 10 Sep 2019 13:22 That’s my fault. I worded that poorly. I know they’ve shown up as landmarks, and that they fly over Nevada and Europe. I think they have said they wont offer military based cargo or destinations, though.
That's another completely different history, yes. In that case I don't know what SCS has stated, but I agree with what you said for several reasons.

Main one is that, we must remember, this game has the most lowest possible PEGI rate, something that SCS is interested to keep. Depict just military landmarks is OK, but if the game starts to "interact" with military related scenarios, then the things could change.

A second could be that, with the times we are living, with that hyper-sensibility, over-reacting and easy-annoyable people everywhere; it's better to not enter that garden to avoid unnecessary polemics so far. Like they have avoided so far the landmine field of the western Balkans.

In an exercise of infinite imagination and hypothesis, try to think how mad things could become if POTUS decides to do one of their famous flaming morning tweets, linking an screenshot of an ATS delivery on a military depot saying "Look, our Czech allies help us in our military effort against the evil Russia, even on virtual" or some similar weirdo. Internet could REALLY burn. :lol:
Xaagon

#89 Post by Xaagon » 11 Sep 2019 01:40

Colorado Springs has a very obvious military presence. If SCS really wants to avoid anything military it may be best to give Colorado Springs the San Jose treatment and just have a longer city-free drive between Denver and Pueblo. With the 1/20 scale there's already only a three mile drive between the Springs and their I-25 neighbors.
Fae

#90 Post by Fae » 11 Sep 2019 11:58

I’d have to agree. I drive the entirety of I25 between Pueblo and Denver multiple times a week and Springs ... it truly is all about the military. Now, if SCS really wanted to toss in a “military” landmark along the way, they could always do like they did with Roswell and do a semi-fictional Easter egg for SG-1 ;)

But with the scale of the game, it’d be almost impossible to tell the difference between Springs and Denver. With the exception of Monument Hill, the entirety of 25 between Denver and the Springs is all one solid population sprawl. And even Monument Hill would be that way right now if it weren’t for most of that land being BLM.
Faelandaea Dravin
OTR Truck Driver
Faelandaea's Trucking Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/c/FaelandaeaDravin
DISCORD: https://discord.gg/PEm7M9HwYP
[ external image ]

Return to “American Truck Simulator”