[TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] Speed limit signs in the US

Kraake
SCS Software

[TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] Speed limit signs in the US

#1 Post by Kraake » 26 Feb 2019 17:54

Regarding to supersobes' topic about Washington state road signage, we would like to collect similar information about all the states.

In this case we are focusing on SPEED LIMIT SIGNS & SPEED LIMITS IN EACH COUNTRY.
supersobes wrote: 01 Nov 2018 20:05
All of the speed limit signs in Washington contain the word "LIMIT." On roads with a speed limit of 65 MPH+, they use the same "TRUCKS 60" plaque that Oregon uses. The truck speed limit throughout Washington it 60 MPH.
An examples:
[ external image ]
(thank you Mr. supersobes)

:arrow: Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa |
Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire |
New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota |
Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

We would like to cover all the states from the list above.

If there is some difference we would like to have a link (Google maps street view) from concrete place / state.
In case it's the same, write that's like in Oregon or Washington, for example. Once is done, each state will be crossed eventually.

Please, keep in mind that we are focusing on roads connected with trucks, not dead-end streets from residential areas. [ external image ]

Thank you very much in advance.... [ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: [TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] Speed limit signs in the US

#2 Post by supersobes » 26 Feb 2019 20:57

Most of the speed limit signs in the United States are the same. Only Oregon has the biggest difference with its occasional lack of the word "limit" which we all know about now. ;) Some states use a "Trucks XX" plaque under the sign to set a lower speed limit for trucks, and some states use a "Night XX" plaque under the sign to differentiate from the daytime speed limit and the nighttime speed limit. California also has "All vehicles towing 55," which sets the speed limit for all vehicles that are pulling a trailer or another vehicle to 55 MPH.

The biggest difference that's not related to the sign format is the maximum speed limit that the state uses. Most states use a 70 MPH speed limit, but as you know some states are higher and and some are lower. The maximum speed limit in some states has changed recently and some more may change. For example, it was only a few years ago thay Pennsylvania raised the maximum speed limit in their state from 55 MPH to 70 MPH.
Sora

#3 Post by Sora » 27 Feb 2019 16:31

I remember that they used to have "Night" speed limit signs in Texas, but I don't think they do anymore. At least I haven't seen one in a very long time.

I'm pretty sure we just have normal Speed Limit signs now, not Night limits or Truck limits.
alclark

#4 Post by alclark » 28 Feb 2019 02:55

Maryland
In areas where truck speed limits are different than the "regular" limit, split signs are used. The older signs are 2 separate pieces (right side of the road), but the newer ones are a single sign (left side). Both are still used and acceptable.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6581266 ... 312!8i6656

New Jersey, specifically the NJ Turnpike, uses electronic variable speed limit signs.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.213495, ... 312!8i6656
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
devrygrad09

#5 Post by devrygrad09 » 08 Jun 2019 17:26

I was just going to do my home state of Ohio,
But I found this article of speed limits for Tucks and Cars on Freeways, and Rural Highways throughout the US.
It does contain US teritories, but it does have all speed limits for all states.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l ... ted_States
Sora

#6 Post by Sora » 09 Jun 2019 19:15

Ah, that reminds me. I saw Minimum Speed Limits while messing around with Laredo, Texas. Didn't notice them anywhere else though.
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 09 Jun 2019 19:37

Although they are rare, minimum speed limits are used on highways in all states. They are usually used on urban freeways to further regulate traffic flow to help reduce congestion and mitigate accidents caused by faster traffic conflicting with slower traffic.
flight50

#8 Post by flight50 » 10 Jun 2019 04:28

When there is a minimum posted, I would assume that is when you see the "slower traffic keep right" signs. I would think most highways have a minimum speed during normal conditions, but they seldom post it.
supersobes
Global moderator

#9 Post by supersobes » 10 Jun 2019 09:49

flight50 wrote: 10 Jun 2019 04:28 When there is a minimum posted, I would assume that is when you see the "slower traffic keep right" signs.
Hmmm... Interesting thought. Next time I see minimum speed limits, I'll keep a lookout for that too.
flight50 wrote: I would think most highways have a minimum speed during normal conditions, but they seldom post it.
It is sort of an unwritten rule that you shouldn't drive below 40 MPH on Interstate highways unless you absolutely have to. It's not necessarily illegal since it not specifically posted, but it definitely frowned upon by law enforcement and other drivers. 40 MPH is also the benchmark that warrants the use of four way flashers to indicate that there is a slow moving vehicle.
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 10 Jun 2019 13:36

Agreed. When there its raining cats and dogs or when there are icy roads, I will stay in the slow lane and use my flashers.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”