[TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] State route shields in the US

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: [TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] State route shields in the US

#41 Post by supersobes » 13 Mar 2019 02:02

Bedavd wrote:
13 Mar 2019 01:54
Also, I noticed these hurricane evacuation route signs while hunting for examples. I'm not from a state that gets hit by hurricanes, so I don't know much about them. If someone who knows more than I has any interesting information on them, I'm sure SCS, as well as myself, would love to know more!
They get used throughout the Southeast, especially in costal areas. I saw them quite a bit when I was in Florida and South Carolina. They are used to label the main routes that are used when the state government orders an emergency evacuation of certain areas. In some extreme cases, they will even make traffic on both sides of the median travel in the same direction to move the evacuation faster. I'm sure that you've probably heard of some of the infamous hurricanes in the news such as Florence, Harvey, and Sandy. Those are storms that caused the governments of several states to enable their emergency plan and order the evacuation of several areas.

Bedavd

#42 Post by Bedavd » 13 Mar 2019 02:24

Florida!

Grab your sunscreen, and probably some personal protection! We're heading to Florida.

Florida uses a shield very similar to Idaho's. A white box with the outline of the state and the route number written along the bottom. There is often a black border around the shield, but this disappears on gantries, though NOT always.

Gantry (note the example for toll roads in the second picture, and the last one with the border still on the shield):
ImageImageImage

Roadside:

Standalone:
ImageImage
Check out my Michigan research map!

Check out my ATS IRL map!
*Colorado added! LA, and San Diego are unmapped out of protest for their future rework*

Bedavd

#43 Post by Bedavd » 13 Mar 2019 02:26

supersobes wrote:
13 Mar 2019 02:02
I'm sure that you've probably heard of some of the infamous hurricanes in the news such as Florence, Harvey, and Sandy.
Hahahah of course I've heard of them. I just wasn't sure if there were published routes somewhere that we could provide for SCS, or if there were other markings, such as on the road surface, that also denoted that it was an evacuation route.

*Colorado added! LA, and San Diego are unmapped out of protest for their future rework*

Bedavd

#44 Post by Bedavd » 13 Mar 2019 02:45

Georgia!

Georgia is a silhouette style shield, similar to Alabama and others. No wording on the signs, and it widens when the number is longer.

Gantry:

Roadside:

Standalone:

Sora

#45 Post by Sora » 16 Mar 2019 08:06

Bedavd wrote:
13 Mar 2019 01:54
Also, I noticed these hurricane evacuation route signs while hunting for examples. I'm not from a state that gets hit by hurricanes, so I don't know much about them. If someone who knows more than I has any interesting information on them, I'm sure SCS, as well as myself, would love to know more!
Oh, I wanted to mention that in the Texas thread, but I totally forgot!

Yeah, hurricanes are a big threat on the gulf coast, so most states in the area have 'evacuation routes' that are periodically signed. They're as far west as Texas, at least, and given posts in this thread as far east as at least Florida. For Texas at least I am able to find this map, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have for other states.

Sadly I'm not totally sure on where or when these signs are used outside of this map. You can probably find signs (1, 2, 3, 4) or markings somewhere on most if not all of these roads, but I'm not sure what the fine details are.

Page 364 of the MUTCD states:
Section 2N.03 Evacuation Route Signs (EM-1 and EM-1aT)
  1. The Evacuation Route (EM-1 and EM-1aT) signs shall display a blue circular symbol on a white square sign without a border as shown in Figure 2N-1. The EM-1 sign shall include a white directional arrow (except as provided in Paragraph 3) and a white legend EVACUATION ROUTE within the blue circular symbol. The EM-1aT sign shall include a white EVACUATION ROUTE legend and the hurricane symbol within the blue circular symbol. The EM-1 and EM-1aT signs shall be retroreflective.
  2. An Advance Turn Arrow (M5 series) or Directional Arrow (M6 series) auxiliary sign as shown in Figure 2D-5, but with a white arrow on a blue background instead of a black arrow on a white background, shall be installed below the EM-1aT sign.
  3. Instead of including a directional arrow within the blue circular symbol on the EM-1 sign, an Advance Turn Arrow (M5 series) or Directional Arrow (M6 series) auxiliary sign as shown in Figure 2D-5, but with a white arrow on a blue background instead of a black arrow on a white background, may be installed below the EM-1 sign.
  4. If desired, the word HURRICANE, or a word that describes some other type of evacuation route, may be added as a third line of text above the white EVACUATION ROUTE legend within the blue circular symbol on the EM-1 sign.
  5. An approved Emergency Management symbol with a diameter of 3.5 inches may appear near the bottom of an Evacuation Route sign.
  6. The arrow designs, if used, on the EM-1 sign shall include a straight, vertical arrow pointing upward, a straight horizontal arrow pointing to the left or right, or a bent arrow pointing to the left or right for advance warning of a turn.
  7. If used, the Evacuation Route sign, with the appropriate arrow, shall be installed 150 to 300 feet in advance of, and at, any turn in an approved evacuation route. The sign shall also be installed elsewhere for straight-ahead confirmation where needed.
  8. If used in urban areas, the Evacuation Route sign shall be mounted at the right-hand side of the roadway, not less than 7 feet above the top of the curb, and at least 1 foot back from the face of the curb. If used in rural areas, the Evacuation Route sign shall be mounted at the right-hand side of the roadway, not less than 7 feet above the pavement and not less than 6 feet or more than 10 feet to the right of the right-hand roadway edge.
  9. Evacuation Route signs shall not be placed where they will conflict with other signs. Where conflict in placement would occur between the Evacuation Route sign and a standard regulatory sign, the regulatory sign shall take precedence.
  10. In case of conflict with guide or warning signs, the Evacuation Route sign may take precedence.
  11. Placement of Evacuation Route signs should be made under the supervision of the officials having jurisdiction over the placement of other traffic signs. Coordination with Emergency Management authorities and agreement between contiguous political entities should occur to assure continuity of routes
I don't speak bureaucracy so I don't fully understand what this means, but if I had to guess, the best practice would be:
-Use it prior to major entrances or exits that would lead onto an evacuation route, from roads that are not evacuation routes.
-Periodically have reassurance signs demonstrating that you are on an evacuation route.
-Do not spam them, but use them enough to demonstrate to players that hurricanes are a threat to these regions.
-But, judging by Google Maps, use them infrequently enough so that people are not aware of how much of a threat they are. (You can probably err a little on the side of overuse, though, since what's the worst that could happen; you accidentally inform someone of an evacuation route?)

Lastly, according to Wikipedia, these signs are used to some extent in the following states. I do not know the extent of their use outside of Texas, but then again I barely know the extent of their use in Texas.
  • Alabama
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Mississippi
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Texas
Apologies for being a bit off-topic.

Kraake
SCS Software

#46 Post by Kraake » 22 Mar 2019 15:04

It took me a while but I finally had a chance to check this topic and I have to say Image THANK YOU ALL! Thank you for this nice collection of route shields and for all the additional information.

All of you have done awesome job, but I have to send special thanks to Mr. Bedavd for his effort.

FYI: State list in the first post was updated.

Bedavd

#47 Post by Bedavd » 27 Mar 2019 20:09

Of course! I love you guys and I love your games. I'm super happy to be helping make your lives a little easier! Sorry for being absent for a bit, but I'm back to post more!

Let's go to South Carolina!

South Carolina's official shield is a white box with a blue outline. On the top of the box is a blue bar with "SOUTH CAROLINA" written across. Between and slightly below South and Carolina, is an outline of the state, with the Palmetto tree and crescent from the state's flag. These always use a "wide" version, even if the number is only 1 digit.

Gantry:

Roadside:

Standalone:

However, some of South Carolina's highway signs use a simple white box with black outline. I've found instances where the same route is marked with both versions, so I'm not sure what the difference is suppose to be. I haven't found this version as a standalone road shield, but it's fairly common as a highway sign. The state had a different shield until 2007, which looked similar to this white box version. My guess is these signs haven't been changed since the new shield was adopted, though some signs appear to be new, but with the old shield, so I'm not sure. If there are any South Carolinians out there who know the answer, please let me know!

Here is a gantry version:

Roadside:

Here we can see Route 61, labeled with the white box version on the gantry, but also with the blue version just a few miles away:

Thankfully we have a few years until SCS swings by the Palmetto state, so hopefully we can find a reason behind the seemingly random usage.

Bedavd

#48 Post by Bedavd » 27 Mar 2019 20:13

North Carolina!

North Carolina uses a simple white diamond, very similar to Michigan's design, though their shield is the same between standalone and highway signs.

Gantry:

Roadside:

Standalone:

Bedavd

#49 Post by Bedavd » 27 Mar 2019 20:23

Pennsylvania!

Pennsylvania uses a Keystone as it's road shield, fitting for the Keystone State. It's fairly simple, and it does widen for 3 digit route number.

Gantry:
ImageImage

Roadside:

Standalone:
ImageImage

If you'd like to see further examples of the navigation sign version of the shield, please visit this intersection in Pittsburg I think you might just find a few near here.

Bedavd

#50 Post by Bedavd » 27 Mar 2019 20:30

New York!

New York state uses a very intersting looking shield, I'm not quite sure how to describe it, though it's arguably the most "shield" shaped shield of any state. :lol: All highway signs use a "wide" version, and the numbers enlarge to fit the space, while standalones use a thinner version. I've noticed the exact shape of the shield seems to vary from sign to sign.

Gantry:

Roadside:

Standalone:

I've also included a picture of the signs for the Henry Hudson Parkway in Manhatten, as this is SR-9A, and is also written within a shield, and has a much narrower and taller hump on the top of the shield:

Return to “American Truck Simulator”