[TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] Enhanced conspicuity of signs

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: [TRAFFIC SIGNAGE] Enhanced conspicuity of signs

#11 Post by supersobes » 13 Mar 2019 01:17

Although is is very rare to see, apparently enhanced conspicuity does exist for regulatory signs. Here is an example on US-48 in West Virginia. This road was constructed very recently, and some parts of it aren't even on Google Maps yet. The sign is the "Keep Right of Traffic Island" sign, which is a white regulatory sign, so the enhanced conspicuity strips are white, not red or yellow.
Kraake
SCS Software

#12 Post by Kraake » 25 Mar 2019 12:31

Thank you all guys for another very useful collection!

Please, let us know, when you spot something interesting related to this topic.

Special [ external image ] for Mr. supersobes!
Sora

#13 Post by Sora » 26 Mar 2019 23:38

So as I said earlier, I've never seen A or D. I don't know whether I've seen E or not because I don't really notice the color red. I see F often enough that I've become dull to it, and I suppose C and B exist occasionally.

Some situations I can think of where enhanced conspicuity exists in north Houston: All of these examples are very local and centered around a very small region north of Houston, so I'm not going to pretend that they're how these things work nationwide or even statewide. But as a general rule of thumb, I would say it's probably good practice to:
-Use C if you're dealing with a sign that would be more legally dangerous than usual if ignored (for the driver)
-Use F if you're dealing with a sign that would be more physically dangerous than usual if ignored (for the driver)
-Don't use A, B, D, or E unless you know what you're doing
supersobes
Global moderator

#14 Post by supersobes » 26 Mar 2019 23:49

Ah! Yes! I would consider that under the supplemental beacon category. I've seen it on both curve chevron signs like in your example, stop signs, and pedestrian signs. (These little LED lights are not steady. The flash in one second intervals. One second off, and one second on.)

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#15 Post by supersobes » 26 Mar 2019 23:56

Also, notice how you can see the "behind the scenes" of the LED electronics on the back of the signs. It isn't just a plain sign from the back either: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2283953 ... 384!8i8192
SuchManor

#16 Post by SuchManor » 27 Mar 2019 21:00

Sometimes on busy roads in cities or towns, pedestrian crossing signs are accompanied by LED flashing lights that only activate when pedestrians are in the crosswalk: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5040179 ... 312!8i6656 . As you can see above the arrow, there are two separate LED lights. Since pedestrians aren't actual objects that cross streets and such in ATS, you probably wouldn't have to worry about programming them to flash. Also here is a good video showing how they work: https://youtu.be/gCSSAzCuGvk?t=10 . Notice they only activate if a button is pressed.

Also a few more examples:
School Zone Crossing
Embedded in pavement LED lights
Triple light PED crossing configuration
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
supersobes
Global moderator

#18 Post by supersobes » 21 Apr 2019 14:59

This map mod does a very good job with road signage, and one thing that I wanted point out to Kraake from there is the supplemental beacon they used. Notice how is very similar to a traffic signal segment, and how it has a solar panel and electric box on the sign pole.

[ external image ]
Kraake
SCS Software

#19 Post by Kraake » 25 Apr 2019 14:14

Nice!

Thanks guys!
alclark

#20 Post by alclark » 26 Apr 2019 03:40

I happened upon this while doing some research for a bug report, so here's an example of alternately flashing beacons on the "stop ahead" sign near the intersection of US 70 and 380 in NM. The current in-game version is just the sign.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”