Bridge textures and designs for future DLCs including Wyoming

thefirstgenesis

Bridge textures and designs for future DLCs including Wyoming

#1 Post by thefirstgenesis » 10 Dec 2020 06:04

Now it is official that Wyoming will be the next state in American Truck Simulator, I wanted to discuss one of the things that SCS has improved upon. If you owned the Colorado DLC, you have found some different and unique bridge and overpass textures and designs. Some examples include the I-25 overpass at Hwy 50 in Pueblo, the Fillmore St overpass over I-25 in Colorado Springs, and the Hwy 34 overpass over I-25 in Loveland. Also, if you have driven in the rural parts of Colorado like I-76 and I-70, you can also see that SCS has implemented different bridge designs that were not found in older DLCs such as Idaho or Utah.

For Wyoming, some bridges will look kind of different from the default concrete looking bridges found frequently in ATS. There are more bridges made from I-beam steel girders that are painted in color, mainly blue or green. Below are some examples of the overpasses and bridges that are found in Wyoming using Google Maps that use the I-beam girder design.
Interstate 25 bridge over Interstate 80 in Cheyenne, Wyoming.png
Interstate 25 bridge over Interstate 80 in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Interstate 90 bridge over West Lincoln Way in Cheyenne, Wyoming.png
Interstate 80 bridge over West Lincoln Way in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Interstate 25 at US Highway 26 in Casper, Wyoming.png
Interstate 25 at US Highway 26 in Casper, Wyoming

Interstate 90 at Highway 59 in Gillette, Wyoming.png
Interstate 90 at Highway 59 in Gillette, Wyoming

Interstate 80 at Interstate 180 in Cheyenne Wyoming.png
Interstate 80 at Interstate 180 in Cheyenne Wyoming

I have all of the states in ATS, and I have not seen many of these bridge designs in the game. However in reality, these colored I-beam girder bridges are everywhere. For some of us, the appearance and design of bridges in ATS are not a big deal, but for me, bridges add a lot of detail and realism to the game. Here are my questions for you guys and for the game developers.

1. What do you guys think about implementing these colored bridge textures and designs for the Wyoming DLC?
2. Will we see new painted and colored bridge textures and designs as shown in the pictures above for future DLCs?
3. How much additional work do you think is needed for the developers to create these new bridge designs?

I sent an e-mail to SCS over a month ago, and Pavel responded that he and his team was open to having these new bridge designs. Not sure if they will implement it, but I believe that future DLCs will look a lot more realistic and appealing with these new bridge textures and models.
Last edited by thefirstgenesis on 21 Aug 2021 04:30, edited 2 times in total.
joschac2

Re: Bridge textures and designs for future DLCs including Wyoming

#2 Post by joschac2 » 08 Jan 2021 18:23

I kinda want to see Bridge joints that actatly bumps you around a little with the satisfying bridge joint sound
KrysEmlyn

#3 Post by KrysEmlyn » 09 Jan 2021 00:58

SCS has a prop named "road_dialation", but it has a really tiny collision mesh that is placed at one end and 0.2 meters below the visible mesh of the model itself.
It would be nice if SCS had added a proper collision mesh for it so we actually go bump over it while driving.
It's also not used as much as it should be. It should be present at all bridges, big and small, and not just in the newer DLC areas.
KeganMinecraft

#4 Post by KeganMinecraft » 12 Mar 2021 06:18

Interstate 90 bridge over West Lincoln Way in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Do you mean Interstate 80
Bob123412

#5 Post by Bob123412 » 12 Mar 2021 09:28

I think the areas depicted in the game should be modeled to accurately represent they are modeled after.

I agree with he users above that it would be great to have more bridge joint bumps and sounds, I think the roads could have more texture overall as they feel too smooth. Although this could be hard to accurately depict and road quality is always changing as some roads are neglected and others are repaired.
KeganMinecraft

#6 Post by KeganMinecraft » 29 May 2021 19:28

here is a bridge in Moore Oklahoma that lights up all different colors at night (not sure if it can be added due to scale) but it would be cool

here is a video showing the bridge lighting up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkTIa_UeSjU

and here it is in the day

[ external image ]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is a couple in norman OK
Main St

[ external image ]

Lindsey St
[ external image ]

Return to “American Truck Simulator”