Kansas pre-research tips

festmache

Kansas pre-research tips

#1 Post by festmache » 26 Feb 2021 21:51

Following the existing threads to combine tips for other states, this thread can be used to share tips about the state of Kansas.

I think one thing should definitely be considered once Kansas in added: the geographic center of the United States (actually the lower 48).
The place itself might not be that interesting, but the symbolism is huge. Especially for a game like ATS which started on the West Coast, being able to drive to this point would be a milestone and should be something noteworthy.

https://goo.gl/maps/9Qipw6GqncG3Gd9J8
http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographi ... ted_States (This also explains that the center of all states including Hawaii and Alaska is in South Dakota!)
vanilla player, loving ETS2, loving ATS even more! | 🇳🇱 🇪🇺
Map with all cities | Personal cabin accessories

[ external image ]
flight50

Re: Kansas pre-research tips

#2 Post by flight50 » 26 Feb 2021 23:26

Only way we get this location is if US-281 is in place but that looks like a slim chance. I agree that its symbolic but does the area benefit trucking in more ways than one? There is little industry in this area. Only industry SCS could add is farming.
Quark

#3 Post by Quark » 27 Feb 2021 03:51

I think we should better wait a little until the official Kansas research thread gets started by Kraake or any other dev if you ask me. For the devs it's easier if all useful information about a given state is concentrated into one thread and not scattered over two or more. Also, both the devs as well as the community will prefer to use the official thread to look for/to add useful research tips simply because these official threads are pinned.
This will probably happen in the not too distant future anyways, possibly sooner than we think. Wyoming, Texas, Montana and Oklahoma are the remaining still unreleased states that have an official public research thread and should all be out within the next 2 years most likely. We know it can take up to 2 years to develop a state. Starting with the pre-development/pre research stage, then the asset creation stage and finally the actual mapping (+internal testing/closed
beta at the very end).
So something has to happen here in this section of the forum in the next several months or at the very least this year i assume and we will likely see added a
whole bunch of states at once by the devs just like they did more than 2 years ago meanwhile. It will also give us a nice preview of what we can expect in the
next years after Oklahoma.
supersobes
Global moderator

#4 Post by supersobes » 27 Feb 2021 15:22

I've pinned this thread, so it can be the official Kanas pre-research tips thread now. If need be, I can also change the owner of this thread by giving festmache's post to Kraake. Although that might not be necessary; the offical Idaho and Utah research threads were made by rocknrollDaVE.
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 27 Feb 2021 16:46

I agree with Quark. Let SCS dictate state research topics. I'm sure Kraake would have taken over this one anyways. Supersobes I think that's a good idea if you handed it over to Kraake. We need to see that gold. That is what most of us pay attention to. That way we know its the official thread to post to. Otherwise, threads get lost.

RocknRollDave is a senior beta tester though so that's a little different if he started it. He has a title. Not to mention, he started those threads before this research thing with the community was a big thing iirc. His contributions to the game came as SCS was developing these states without help from the community.
angrybirdseller

#6 Post by angrybirdseller » 03 Mar 2021 18:40

:lol: North Dakota is the center of North America in Rugby close to Canadian border probably how people remember directions to the bar. Which routes will be continous US-83, US-183, US-81, US-77 they kind of important routes to I-80 in Nebraska and I-90 in South Dakota
John007

#7 Post by John007 » 06 Feb 2023 16:06

Hello dear developers. I'm really looking forward to the appearance of Kansas State in the game. I laid out a map showing very interesting sights of Kansas.Especially interesting is Mushroom Rock State Park and Little Jerusalem Badlands State Park. All these objects are located on the road and they will be visible from the road. Please add them to the Kansas State game. Also in this picture are other interesting objects of the state of Kansas.[ external image ]
John007

#8 Post by John007 » 06 Feb 2023 16:22

Map of roads and settlements in Kansas.[ external image ]
John007

#9 Post by John007 » 13 Feb 2023 11:53

Dear developers, make a Dodge City in Kansas in the game. This is a western-style city. A very atmospheric city.[ external image ]
jdarmin

#10 Post by jdarmin » 03 May 2023 00:29

I've dumped hundreds of hours into this game and really want to see a tiny slice of "my world" represented if at all possible. This is a great local landmark that could maybe be one of the "photo op" icons on the map, or something like that.

Southeast Kansas is known for its extensive mining history, and is home to the now inactive Big Brutus, the second largest electric shovel/mining excavator ever built - and, due to the biggest one being deconstructed, is currently THE biggest one. Big Brutus isn't just your standard digger - this beast towers multiple stories in the air and has a shovel so large you can drive a truck into it. It has a dedicated museum (which features Big Brutus but also has plenty of other large mining vehicles/equipment and also an indoors section filled with old mining relics from the past). Tourists can take a tour through the beast itself, and are allowed to touch and connect with the exhibit, even sit down in the operator's chair to see what it must have been like.

The entire area is littered with "lakes and ponds" which are actually strip pits dug out by Brutus itself.

There are plenty of pictures (and even some old blurry videos of it in action) online, but of course I could also offer whatever assistance needed in getting any material needed for this to be included in Kansas. I have been visiting Big Brutus ever since I was a child and would just LOVE to "drive by" this attraction in one of my favorite games, even if it's just a very minor addition.

(The below aren't mine; just some quick grabs from the internet to show the machine itself)
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Return to “American Truck Simulator”