Adaptive Gearbox in Volvos

jarvik79

Adaptive Gearbox in Volvos

#1 Post by jarvik79 » 28 Nov 2013 14:11

Komat wrote:The patch changes the way the gearbox behaves when driving at the speed limiter limit, adds the exclusive interior and decals to the new Volvo and fixes various small glitches (animations, positions) in the trucks.
Well, I've now spent several hours driving various models, and there is definite improvements to gearbox behaviour in most except the Volvos - they also seem a LOT more sensitive to holding gear from throttle (in all gears in fact) than the other makes.
I'm finding that both the 2013 and the Classic still almost refuse point blank to upshift to 12th when using adaptive auto at 90km/h, even when under zero/minimal load, and/or using CC. It does seem to behave properly at around ~93. It's pulling about 1500rpm at 90 in 11th so am wondering if the gearing/downshift rev point needs to be adjusted a little to make it work?

All other gears seem fine, however as said earlier definitely somewhat more sensitive to gear-holding on throttle than Scania, MAN, DAF, Iveco, Merced....<ahem>"Majestic" ;) I haven't tainted my garage with Renault yet, so can't make judgement on it... ;) Thinking about it, perhaps actually it's the other makes that need adjusting to make MORE sensitive in this regard? I find they rarely stay beyond 1600rpm even with the right foot firmly planted to the floor.

The "normal" real automatic in both the Volvos seems to be absolutely fine, these seem to happily upshift to 12th at around 85-86 under no load.

(No mods. G27 + pedals. Also tested with keyboard+mouse only controls. Windows build, if it makes a difference.)
jarvik79

Re: Adaptive Gearbox in Volvos

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 01 Dec 2013 16:59

Still present in 1.7.2.2s after testing.

Let me clarify, this is with cruise control with adaptive auto ONLY, and it seems to be in both Volvo and Scania - whack CC on at 90kmh and it will refuse to upshift 11th to 12th.
MAN, DAF, IVECO, Majestic & Renault all will upshift fine.
Even after modding the Scania transmission ratios so that 12th = old 11th value it still refuses to drop down to 12th - something funny still going on there.
Non-adaptive "real" automatic works absolutely fine.

However even in the others, once in 12th they are all very very eager to drop to 11th, even though on the same stretch of road with same load & engine, with the non-adaptive auto it will happily stay in 12th.
What I think is happening in this case is that when using CC cruising at 90k, if speed drops to 89 then it immediately demands 100% throttle. With the non-adaptive, it would result in >greenline revs so it doesn't drop until it gets to <1000 rpm. With the adaptive, it just kicks down immediately - I think this cruise control behaviour should be changed to mirror the non-adaptive setting of only kickdown to 11th if the revs fall below <1k.
jarvik79

Re: Adaptive Gearbox in Volvos & Scanias

#3 Post by jarvik79 » 09 Dec 2013 21:59

Bug with the cruise control AAT behaviour still present in both Volvos and Scanias after 1.8.2.3s....
CC behaves just fine with non-AAT.
Has been carried to the Scania Streamline now too (perhaps obviously)

p.s. By the way, can anyone confirm/refute this issue? It's had 470+ views and no replies!

p.p.s. wasn't sure whether to cross-post to the Bugs 1.8 folder too now it's continuing... decided not to.
ohaha

#4 Post by ohaha » 09 Dec 2013 22:55

I don't know what to tell you...
I drive Volvo's almost exclusively and use sequential and never shift to 12th, because 11th seems more appropriate, especially if I anticipate some hill climbing... This is with limiter on.
The only time I shift into 12th is with limiter off, if I go above 105 - 110 kph, or even higher.
Retired, but still loving it.
Cadde

#5 Post by Cadde » 09 Dec 2013 23:03

Volvo gearboxes changed in 1.8.2.3, if you didn't notice any difference you have a gearbox mod that overrides the change.

viewtopic.php?p=155326#p155326
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Bugs 1.7.2”