New Volvo FH steering wheel

Unco

Re: New Volvo FH steering wheel

#11 Post by Unco » 26 Jan 2014 21:35

you need to calm down and stop getting so defensive. we are just asking for your research showing that this is indeed a bug and that the volvo steering wheel is 100% circular in real life.

almost all steering wheels out there are elliptical. you just need to do a quick google search to confirm this... or notice your own car's steering wheel movement next time you are in it.

either way, I was just trying to clarify the previous posters questioning of your bug report, but you seem to have missed the point entirely.

thanks for your bug report anyway.

#12 Post by 102 » 27 Jan 2014 11:11

Unco wrote:you need to calm down and stop getting so defensive.
Why should I calm down, if I'm not even nervous? We're just talking here, after all.
Unco wrote:we are just asking for your research showing that this is indeed a bug and that the volvo steering wheel is 100% circular in real life.
Research, you say? I gave you three options to pick from. How do you think, which one is correct? There is a hint made before, telling which one it is. If still it is not clear (who is missing the point, eh?), well, here is the answer (beware of spoilers): company where I work plans to replace existing fleet of vehicles with new ones, and our superiors consider Volvo to be among manufacturers worthy of attention. So we've been visiting Volvo dealership, to be acquainted with heavily promoted new vehicles, and to see what hype is all about. Steering wheels I saw there were much closer to "perfect circle", rather than to "perfect ellipse". Some had minor sway during turning, yes, but it was much less noticable, and within what one could call "assembly or manufacture tolerances margin".
If Volvo dealership is too far from you, or you can't go there for any other reason, I don't really know what to do, unless, of course, you would like to trust all those promo materials, presented by Volvo. If their data are not trustworhy by your opinion, you can always try and go for Youtube, maybe you'll find videos made from fixed mount, to tell actual wheel form, sway, and turning circle, from cameraman's hands shaking.
By the way, do I need to present my research on why I should think that interior, lit by turn indicators is incorrect, as well as DAF's 5-stage retarder, or you'll simply believe I've done my homework?
Unco wrote:almost all steering wheels out there are elliptical. you just need to do a quick google search to confirm this... or notice your own car's steering wheel movement next time you are in it.
Almost all steering wheels I've seen or held at during driving were circles, or close to it (by the way, do other trucks presented in game have elliptical wheels, or they aren't into "almost all" category?). There were no noticable sway suggesting wheel is elliptical as you saying. Warp that was noticable was usually sign of defect, caused by damage during use, or originated from any form of manufacturing error, like incorrect stitching, casting, or assembly.

Wheels that aren't circle belong either to specially built vehicles (but you said they are not the case), or to so called "tuned" ones, where their owners tried to stress "sporty" nature of their vehicles, installing wheels with, say, cut area at the bottom, to "give more leg room" (heard Prius has the same, but never seen that thing on our roads). At the same time, upper part of those wheels was, actually, circle.
Surely, maybe some super-uber-hyper-premium vehicles, like so called "sport cars" have wheels of non-circular forms, but I never seen them either, and, obviously, never been inside.
Unco wrote:thanks for your bug report anyway.
Well, thank you for your clarification anyway too.
INSTG8R

#13 Post by INSTG8R » 27 Jan 2014 13:15

Sorry but even my G25 doesn't even turn a "perfect circle" I don't see any issue here.
59800X3D| MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max|32GB Gskill 3600|Hellhound 7900XTX|Samsung 970 Evo Plus|SB ZX|Seasonic TX-850W Titanium|TT Kandalf L.C.S.|AW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440|Logitech G502.G19s,GPro Wheel/Pedals|Logitech X-56|TrackIR5w/Trackclip Pro
Unco

#14 Post by Unco » 27 Jan 2014 20:16

102 wrote:
Unco wrote:you need to calm down and stop getting so defensive.
Why should I calm down, if I'm not even nervous? We're just talking here, after all.
All that text.
Unco wrote:thanks for your bug report anyway.
102 wrote:Well, thank you for your clarification anyway too.
102, you have a very strange way of engaging in discussion and debate. I do not know what your problem is, maybe it is a language problem, in which case, I feel that I have to apologize for misunderstanding you.

You have reported your bug. Thank you again. Let's just leave it there.
b101uk

#15 Post by b101uk » 28 Jan 2014 00:15

@102

Err,

The new Volvo FH wheel is circular (rim of the steering wheel) like most steering wheels in every day common vehicles.

It’s just that its movement is slightly eccentric due to the pivot being slightly offset to the circle the rim of the steering wheel describes, this offset is in relation to what would be the top/bottom of the steering wheel, while there is NO offset with respect to what would be the left/right side of the wheel as it appears in front of you – which in real life is very common.

You say “Steering wheels I saw there were much closer to "perfect circle", rather than to "perfect ellipse". Some had minor sway during turning, yes, but it was much less noticeable

So to clarify, you are saying the outer rim of new Volvo FH steering wheels when turning the outer rim of the Volvo FH steering wheel had “minor sway during turning”?

Would you describe this as being about ~5mm (~1/5th inch)?

Or in other words enough for you to detect with binocular vision (2 eyes)

Even though binocular vision and your brain helps conceal sway due to the lateral placement of your eyes vs. the cut off angle that each eyes view of the dashboard behind the rim of the steering wheel?

Return to “Bugs 1.8”