New Volvo FH steering wheel

New Volvo FH steering wheel

#1 Post by 102 » 22 Jan 2014 13:59

My apologies to moderators, but when I tried to search for topic with similar content, search system declined my request because words I used, and I quote "are too common".

Not sure this qualify as "bug" and that it belongs this version, but I noticed it just now. Call me retarded, but I just slow to gain trust in new trucks. Especially ones you can't buy at day 1 (yes, I don't get why you have to wait till level 9 to buy new VH or Streamline).

But let's get to the point. New Volvo FH seems to have not that round steering wheel. If you rotate it and look at outer or inner "borders" (most notable at top and bottom part of wheel), you'll notice their "movement" in relation to other elements of the cabin (since new FH got a lot of shiny switches, it's pretty easy to do). Simply put, either wheel is not a circle, or its axis of rotation is not in wheel's center. Yes, I know, some other trucks' wheels also have minor "distortion", but this one is quite distinguished. Well, not so much - given the time it took me to notice that, but that's the second time I've driving that truck (during first time I noticed old family tradition of blinkers lighting the interior :lol: ).

Here is picture with highlighted areas.
Attachments
gap.jpg
gap.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 6761 times
jarvik79

Re: New Volvo FH steering wheel

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 23 Jan 2014 22:05

Not saying you're wrong, but what makes you think the wheel should be a perfect circle anyway?

#3 Post by 102 » 24 Jan 2014 16:37

And what makes you think it shouldn't be? :)
It's not Formula-1, after all.
jarvik79

#4 Post by jarvik79 » 24 Jan 2014 21:15

Hence why I qualified it with a non-prejudicer.
My point is you haven't backed up your bug report with any proof that there actually IS a bug to begin with - i.e. that it actually should be perfectly round and dead center to axis - so devs probably won't even give it a look until you demonstrate it's wrong.

#5 Post by 102 » 25 Jan 2014 07:39

What exactly you want me to provide to prove that real new Volvo FH's wheel is perfect circle and axis of rotation is placed in perfect centre of it, real new Volvo FH truck?
There is simple misalignment in axis of rotation placement in game, causing the sway you could notice, should you launch the game and try to rotate wheel. Why I'm so sure it's incorrect? Well, let's try to think logically, shall we? I either:
- Used common sense;
- Made preliminary research;
- Previously acquainted with the truck.

Take your pick.
Unco

#6 Post by Unco » 25 Jan 2014 08:44

I think what jarvik79 is referring to, is the fact that a lot of steering wheels out there in real life (or their turning circles) are not a perfect circle. It is a valid point.

#7 Post by 102 » 26 Jan 2014 08:49

Steering circles, eh? Of course, some wheels could try to give more leg room, thus having cut-out at bottom, some may be just design quirks in forms of yokes or joysticks, or be purposedly built, like racing ones (though I've seen perfect circles there too), but this topic is not about them, this topic is about new Volvo FH steering wheel, no?
WerewolfCustoms

#8 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 26 Jan 2014 09:41

Well, I'm with @102 on this one. The steering wheel is (probably) a bit off in the game.

And, if Volvo really did make the wheel a bit off IRL, I'm almost sure, that SCS wouldn't bother implementing that in the game. Let's face it, there are bigger things that are missing from the game.

But in the end - this wheel thing doesn't bother me - I can still play the game without any problems. So, I wouldn't bother calling this a bug. I would probably call it a curiosity, or even better:

[ external image ]
:lol:
Unco

#9 Post by Unco » 26 Jan 2014 17:28

102 wrote:Steering circles, eh? Of course, some wheels could try to give more leg room, thus having cut-out at bottom, some may be just design quirks in forms of yokes or joysticks, or be purposedly built, like racing ones (though I've seen perfect circles there too), but this topic is not about them, this topic is about new Volvo FH steering wheel, no?
I'm not talking about special steering wheels.

How many vehicles have you owned in real life?

#10 Post by 102 » 26 Jan 2014 21:20

WerewolfCustoms wrote: Let's face it, there are bigger things that are missing from the game.
Oh, come on, when Classic Volvo was collecting many, if not all bump on the road in 1.3, it wasn't game breaking. Having Classic Volvo interior lit by turn indicators wasn't game breaking. Having new Volvo interior lit by turn indicators is not game breaking. Nor is offset wheel, or what I consider to be discrepancy in DAF's retarder. Basically anything that is not breaking the game is not game breaking. But it somewhat blemishes it's perfection, no?
WerewolfCustoms wrote:So, I wouldn't bother calling this a bug.
Oh, and we come to naming wars. Should I refer to George Carlin and his monologue on that - history of "evolution" of "shellshock" into "battle fatigue", then to "operational exhaustion" and, currently, to "post traumatic stress disorder".
So unless developers are going to specify what they are consider "bug" and "whatnot", I guess there is no point discussing terminology and share pictures of sneezing cats. Though if moderators have no problems with, kitten may rule further.
Unco wrote:I'm not talking about special steering wheels.
I'm not telepath, I'm afraid, so, if you don't mind, of course, would you be so kind to tell me about which steering wheels you've been talking about?
Unco wrote:How many vehicles have you owned in real life?
Splendid! And what relation it is there between number of vehicles I owned and Volvo FH steering wheel?

Return to “Bugs 1.8”