Roundabout AI

CTclothbagco

Re: Roundabout AI

#31 Post by CTclothbagco » 16 Apr 2014 09:34

Perhaps a possible solution, could be to have arrow road markings and/or road signs on approaches to roundabouts to tell the player what lane to use for the exit they desire.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#32 Post by Flemming V » 16 Apr 2014 10:00

I don't want to make me better than I am, not at all, but I seem to have adapted me to the way the AI uses these Roundabouts (when I think about it),
because I do never have any crash in any roundabout, but I do also never drive in outside lane UNLESS I have to exit at next exit.
With time I also find out how to control the AI with my blinker, so they do what I want them to do.
I agree that perhaps I should not have adapted my self to them, but they should drive as IRL rules are..
celestra

#33 Post by celestra » 20 Apr 2014 19:28

Its also confusing when the AI traffic flies up to the roundabout in the fast lane of a dual carraigeway and goes onto the inside lane of the roundabout only then to promptly turn left .

I got used to the way the old AI worked but am now totally lost on how they use roundabouts

I guess its back to the old way and just give way to every single other vehicle
RullenTrucking

#34 Post by RullenTrucking » 28 Apr 2014 15:12

Even the AI doesn't respect other AI vehicles... LOL

[ external image ]
ohaha

#35 Post by ohaha » 28 Apr 2014 17:33

RullenTrucking, I can't seem to find Kristiansand on the ETS2 map.
Is that a default prefab? Because I have never seen this behavior...
Retired, but still loving it.
volvo4life

#36 Post by volvo4life » 28 Apr 2014 18:03

ohaha wrote:RullenTrucking, I can't seem to find Kristiansand on the ETS2 map.
Is that a default prefab? Because I have never seen this behavior...
Its ProMods map. He should not report it here, he should report it on the promods forum.
MandelSoft
Beta tester

#37 Post by MandelSoft » 28 Apr 2014 18:28

Actually, he should report it to FLD, since he is supplying us with these prefabs. And yes, he's still busy with properly converting all prefabs to the new format ;)
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.
kookas

#38 Post by kookas » 28 Apr 2014 20:11

SCS could extrapolate the player truck's position based on its speed, steering direction, and most likely trajectories (which are the AI paths directly ahead of me). They already have all three of those things, and since we only really care for the player, it shouldn't lag much at all. Then basically if an AI's desired path intersects with my predicted trajectory, the AI slows down or stops.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6J5Klp ... cslist_api

It uses my position to find the closest AI path/network, then uses my direction to find only the paths ahead of me. Then it just has to work out if I'll go left, right, or straight on, which it can do by looking at my indicator. If I'm indicating right, then it should find the path closest to 90° CW, if I'm not indicating, it should find the path closest to 0° (straight ahead), and if I'm indicating left, the path closest to 90° CCW.

The 'path angle' would be determined by the angle between the player's position and a point placed at an arbitrary distance on the path, compared to a dead straight line from the front of the player's cab.

In the case above, the path closest to 0° is also closest to 90° CW, so indicating left is the same as not indicating at all.

I think that sounds like the simplest approach, but maybe I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs and they've already done this (or maybe it's not adequate).

Lots of other assumptions could be built in, too, like the one that says a truck isn't going to take a 90° turn at 60mph so we can disregard paths with a high path angle that are too close to the player for his current speed.

We could build in 'defensive driving' for the AI, too, because if you're veering in your lane, the probability of you following a trajectory into another lane is much higher and so AIs will treat you with caution and stay back.

It could work in reverse as well, with some adaptation - imagine if the AIs didn't get in your way every time you tried to back into that one really tight company depot.
46Gapa

#39 Post by 46Gapa » 02 May 2014 16:46

To me, the problem is in England, so my solution is to avoid trips to England. If SCS is not willing to fix this based on more than one complaint, what does that say about SCS. I remember in the early days of another game they had similar problems but because they want people to enjoy their game they fixed the problems. Flemming would make a great American politician as his response is typical of them. ( We will look into it, which means forget you)
Reece

#40 Post by Reece » 03 May 2014 00:44

Now who got up on the wrong side of bed this morning? :lol:

Return to “Bugs 1.9”