Trouble w/ installing Convoy

HawkbitAlpha

Trouble w/ installing Convoy

#1 Post by HawkbitAlpha » 21 Sep 2016 00:50

I have Convoy in some kind of three-in-one installer package with Hunting Unlimited 4 and something else. After a few years of having that disc sit around useless, I decided to reinstall Convoy...and then this happened.

[ external image ]

Before someone tries to give the mathematician's answer: yes, I have an internet connection working with this, and I know for sure that's not the problem. I'm not stupid.

This is what happens every single time I attempt to validate my copy of Convoy. It has to connect to the SCS servers (or something) to verify my information, but somehow can't even connect to said servers to do it. Is this a joke?
room217au

Re: Trouble w/ installing Convoy

#2 Post by room217au » 21 Sep 2016 01:31

It's possible that the message means 'cannot connect to the server we want to connect to, therefore it's your internet connex'
If memory serves, didn't SCS sell this game to some other company?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Axel Slingerland

#3 Post by Axel Slingerland » 21 Sep 2016 07:53

It's possible that ValuSoft has shut down the server in question.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Reinhard

#4 Post by Reinhard » 21 Sep 2016 08:42

room217au wrote:If memory serves, didn't SCS sell this game to some other company?
The original distributor was ValuSoft. So I assume - but am not sure - that SCS never sold copies of this game to gamers in a direct manner, and would possibly not be in control of the registering process. Now "Convoy" and other older SCS games seems to be owned by a company named "Cosmi".
WikiPedia wrote:In 2012, Cosmi acquired ValuSoft from the now-defunct video game publisher THQ
EDIT: Steam says "Publisher: Retroism, ValuSoft". So the publishing rights seem to be in full swing. :D

Most games SCS did in the older days were contract work, with a one or more publisher(s) who sold it to gamers, and who had more or less say regarding the game features. ETS 1 was the first game SCS developed on own risk and full control. Then, ETS 2 and ATS.

@HawkbitAlpha: Were the old copies issued with a key? If one owns a valid key still, there might be a dim chance that it could be activated on Steam. But I can't say if the format of such key would be accepted by Steam, for a free activation. I'm more than skeptical anyway, as this is surely not in the very own interest of Retroism.
HawkbitAlpha

#5 Post by HawkbitAlpha » 21 Sep 2016 22:31

This bundled version with HU4 was a version that worked by installing the game for you, and then asking you to buy the game completely via the installer. I did this quite a while back, and again in mid-2011. Something tells me Steam isn't going to be much of a help in that department.
Axel Slingerland

#6 Post by Axel Slingerland » 22 Sep 2016 00:10

Best advice: Email SCS at info @ scssoft.com (minus the spaces) and explain the situation to them. They may be able to help you.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers

Return to “18 Wheels of Steel: Convoy”