Game crash - 1.15 [MEMORY,32bit]

Max
SCS Software

Re: Game crash - 1.15 [MEMORY,32bit]

#21 Post by Max » 14 Dec 2014 08:46

Windows XP
To enable the 3GB switch:

Right-click My Computer. Click Properties.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, under System startup, click Edit. The Windows boot.ini file will be opened in Microsoft® Notepad.
Create a backup copy of the boot.ini file. Note: Boot.ini files may vary from computer to computer.
Select the following line in the boot.ini file:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Press Ctrl+C to copy the line and then press Ctrl+V to paste it immediately below the original line.

Note: Your text string may be different from the text string in this solution, so be sure to copy the text string from your boot.ini file, and not the text string included here.
Modify the copied line to include “ /3GB”, as shown in the following example:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /3GB /fastdetect

Note: Do not overwrite any existing lines.
Save and close the boot.ini file.
Click OK to close each dialog box.
Restart your computer.
During startup, select the 3GB option. If you do not select the 3GB option, the system will default to the 2GB total memory setting.

Note: If problems occur during startup, you may try to resolve the issue by updating some of your drivers. However, recall the notice at the beginning of this solutions that note all Windows update or hardware and graphics drivers work with the 3GB switch enabled.
For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article: /3GB.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
DorinDXN

#22 Post by DorinDXN » 14 Dec 2014 08:53

For me the best game experience I have is on Win 7/32 by increasing memory available for a process to 3GB, then set a 4GB volatile RAM disk using invisible memory (IM) and set VM to it
and another 1 GB persistent RAM disk on IM for profile with symlink to mod folder.
That made the best use for my 8GB RAM on Win 7/32.

Tried with Win 7/64 with the same other game tweaks (except the RAM ones above) and was not so good(smooth) though the 64 bit variant of the game is in early stage.

I'm not say that this should work for everyone using IM could be problematic on certain machines, also 3GB for a process reduces the RAM for kernel so on..
but could be a way to explore.. and if it works..

cheers,
Dorin
Sent from my Mercedes or Peterbilt as seen here and it remains to be seen here
MartinoPio

#23 Post by MartinoPio » 14 Dec 2014 08:54

[ external image ]

I have Windows Vista. There is no boot.ini. :cry:
Sorry again for the inconvenience.
DorinDXN

#24 Post by DorinDXN » 14 Dec 2014 09:09

There is EasyBCD free for personal use
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml
that could make things easier.

cheers,
Dorin
Max
SCS Software

#25 Post by Max » 14 Dec 2014 09:17

MartinoPio wrote:I have Windows Vista. There is no boot.ini. :cry:
Sorry again for the inconvenience.
sorry, someone ment XP and i remembered that. for vista its easier ...

Code: Select all

Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 
To enable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on the Command Prompt icon in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
Restart the computer.
(btw, all these guides can be easily googled)
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
MartinoPio

#26 Post by MartinoPio » 14 Dec 2014 09:19

My problem is not understanding how to do, my problem is to understand how to set:
[ external image ]
I have set the minimum and maximum 3000. Is it okay? :D
DorinDXN

#27 Post by DorinDXN » 14 Dec 2014 09:43

No, let it on "automaticamente" for now, Max guide you about other kind of RAM memory

cheers,
Dorin
SabR

#28 Post by SabR » 14 Dec 2014 09:44

Thumbrule suggests allocating 1.5 times your physical RAM as VM. Let the OS decide how much it wants to set it to. If you want to put it manually, then lets say you have 4GB of physical RAM, enter 4GB as initial & 6GB as max in those boxes. If you can allot more go ahead but stay logical.

Microsoft recommends using different physical drives (not partitions of the same disk) for pagefile allotment. If possible try to avoid allocating space for VM on disk having system files.
You can optimize virtual memory use by dividing the space between multiple drives and removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives. To best optimize your virtual memory space, divide it among as many physical hard drives as possible. When selecting drives, keep the following guidelines in mind:

Try to avoid having a pagefile on the same drive as the system files.

Avoid putting a pagefile on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored volume or a RAID-5 volume Pagefiles don't need fault-tolerance, and some fault-tolerant systems suffer from slow data writes because they write data to multiple locations.

Don't place multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk drive.

You can choose to optimize your computer's memory usage. If you use your computer primarily as a workstation, rather than as a server, you can have more memory devoted to your programs. Your programs will work faster and your system cache size will be the default size that came with Windows XP. You can also specify to set aside more computer memory for a larger system cache, If your computer is used primarily as a server, or if you use programs that require a larger cache.
Last edited by SabR on 14 Dec 2014 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
romabysen

#29 Post by romabysen » 14 Dec 2014 09:47

Can you show the virtual memory settings while ETS2 is running?
MartinoPio

#30 Post by MartinoPio » 14 Dec 2014 10:06

Now i'll test setting by Max.

Ps: @romabysen how i can show the VM when the game is running?

Return to “Bugs 1.15”