Trident R.S.

Re: AI are unrealistic when overtaking

#11 Post by Trident R.S. » 17 Jan 2015 20:29

"AI bowling" ?
I like it.
Bandit & The Snowman

#12 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 18 Jan 2015 11:19

I'd already be glad if they didn't overtake when they are in a 'slower' lane than I - in the USA that's allowed, but not in Europe!
And yes sometimes even a truck is in the fast lane :)
plykkegaard

#13 Post by plykkegaard » 18 Jan 2015 12:10

As we say in Europe passing by at high speed in the outermost lane is undertaking :o

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
BelGarion

#14 Post by BelGarion » 29 Jan 2015 09:13

Reece wrote:The AI are like truck brakes - retarded! :lol:
The AI has no survival instinct. Seriously. Between pulling in front of a faster moving diesel rig I've seen them do *tons* of stupid things. Like on a two lane highway I've had to dodge a few who, coming the other way, decide to overtake right in front of you and suddenly your staring at oncoming headlights. I've had a few change lanes right into the side of me, literally. I'm driving down the highway minding my own business and suddenly *THUMP!* and I see, in the mirror, a car in the other lane parked sideways. Many occasions where I am pulling out of a depot and one comes around the corner and t-bones me. I'm like "Dude, seriously? How can you miss something as big as a diesel with trailer pulling across the road making a left?" And I could go on but I think you get the picture, the AI is more retarded than drivers here in Los Angeles. I really hope SCS continues to improve on the AI and the AI in ATS won't be quite so stupid. But I won't hold my breath. :(
Axel Slingerland

#15 Post by Axel Slingerland » 29 Jan 2015 09:52

The AI has no survival instinct? You do understand that the A in AI stands for Artificial, right? It's a computer program. It has no instincts of any kind. [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
CaptainFlint

#16 Post by CaptainFlint » 29 Jan 2015 21:18

Judging from their behavior, I suppose, the letter I in "AI" should be removed at all. :roll:
popovich

#17 Post by popovich » 30 Jan 2015 13:11

The only thing I hate about overtaking is AI actually slowing down to let me pass when I'm closing in in the other lane. That might sound weird but in real life it's forbidden to change your speed when being overtaken (accelerate or decelerate) for a reason.

Because if I see a car coming from the opposite direction and try to go back to my lane to avoid the crash, I actually need to brake 2x harder (by activating parking brake) and even then it's not sure whether I'll make it because AI braking at the same time makes it all the more difficult. :lol:

That would be the only thing I'd change because that's not how it works in real life.
To be honest, I did make it more difficult for myself on purpose by using realistic braking intensity.
But hey, just because I'm using a simulator doesn't mean it has to be totally unrealistic. :mrgreen:
Driver080

#18 Post by Driver080 » 30 Jan 2015 22:14

In real life, here in Australia anyway, other truck drivers and some good car drivers will slow down when being overtaken deliberately to allow you finish the overtaking moving sooner. It's just good manners. As for all the "studid" things the ai cars do, all the things described here are no different to any of the things car drivers do to trucks in real life. Believe it. I have hours and hours of dash cam footage
Is it too much to ask to have the vanilla SCS companies on the AI truck traffic???

What is the point of choosing a company name and logo when it's not used in the game???

In 20 years of trucking IRL I've never reversed a tanker onto a dock
Trident R.S.

#19 Post by Trident R.S. » 02 Feb 2015 17:42

In Italy, the traffic regulation recommends to facilitate overtaking ,( but in fact they accelerate)
CaptainFlint wrote:Judging from their behavior, I suppose, the letter I in "AI" should be removed at all. :roll:
I thought that "i" meant "ignorance". :?
popovich

#20 Post by popovich » 05 Feb 2015 16:25

Driver080 wrote:In real life, here in Australia anyway, other truck drivers and some good car drivers will slow down when being overtaken deliberately to allow you finish the overtaking moving sooner. It's just good manners. As for all the "studid" things the ai cars do, all the things described here are no different to any of the things car drivers do to trucks in real life. Believe it. I have hours and hours of dash cam footage
That works when it's very obvious that there are no cars coming from the opposite direction. I do it too sometimes.

However, it's illegal for a reason I stated previously. Imagine the car doing the overtaking decides to brake and return to its lane because of the oncoming car from the opposite direction. You braking at the same time would basically mean that you're preventing it from doing so and possibly causing a crash.

An analogy to that, albeit a simple one, would be not trying to evade a person running towards you. Because that person will try to evade you to begin with and you'd only be making it harder by not being stationary.

I'm sure everyone has been in a situation like this at least once in their life, I know it happened to me numerous times.
And the first few times I was trying to evade that person too, which ended up with a head on collision. :lol:
After that, whenever I see someone coming towards me I just stand still and let them pass me by (be it pedestrian or bicyclist).

Return to “Bugs 1.15”