Wrong directional traffic signs in Newcastle [11792]

popovich

Re: [Steam version] Wrong directional traffic signs in Newca

#11 Post by popovich » 23 Jan 2015 15:01

plykkegaard wrote:Have you check signage in Google Maps to confirm your claim?
The use of signage is different to each country eg on A187 you have directions for the ferry but not for Amsterdam
I am pretty sure you'd like the game to be as consistent as possible with RL signage?

Also please check signage in game for Amsterdam again as I am almost sure you have signage towards the ferry port at Ljmuiden not NewCastle-upon-Tyne
Yeah, I've just edited the post and added screenshots. Some of them do say IJmuiden (which would translate to Tyne on the other side).

As for the realism, considering that this is a video game with roads and locations nowhere near as real as the real world, I believe in-game signs should correctly point to in-game locations and be consistent, regardless of how it may be in real life.
Just as the IJmuiden ferry only goes to Tyne (and vice versa) while in real life I'm pretty sure it goes to other ports as well.

P.S.
Not that this matters a great deal since we have GPS navigation, but it goes a long way in terms of immersion (at least for me) because I always try to follow directional traffic signs without using GPS navigation. So I tried to do it there too but I always kept seeing Newcastle signs and had to constantly check GPS because I thought the road will take me back to Newcastle. :lol:
plykkegaard

#12 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Jan 2015 16:45

popovich wrote:I believe in-game signs should correctly point to in-game locations and be consistent, regardless of how it may be in real life.
Changed it in a mod if you prefer
You can hardly call it a bug when the game shows realistic signage, it's a feature ;-)
popovich wrote:Just as the IJmuiden ferry only goes to Tyne (and vice versa) while in real life I'm pretty sure it goes to other ports as well.
So you didn't bother looking it up? tsk tsk

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
popovich

#13 Post by popovich » 23 Jan 2015 22:53

plykkegaard wrote:So you didn't bother looking it up? tsk tsk
Admittedly, I didn't. However, I did find this worthy enough of a reason to make an account and post about it.
So it confused me enough to want to post about it, while all the other traffic signs didn't. Take it for what it's worth. ;)
plykkegaard

#14 Post by plykkegaard » 24 Jan 2015 08:06

Ports kan have ferries for different destinations, destinations changes, are removed or added
It easier to just have signage for the port itself

The same when on the road from eg Verona to Paris when starting you don't have a direction for Paris only the nearest larger towns in Italy

It's easy to get an idea and it absolutely fine to report an unconfirmed bug if you believe it is
But it do require some research and time to get the facts in place

Use the same approach as if you're at work, at the shop or at the doctor. As much information as possible makes everybody happy and makes it a lot easier to estimate if there's a problem and get it solved asap ;-)

Thanks for your time /Peter

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
popovich

#15 Post by popovich » 24 Jan 2015 09:59

Ok, so this morning I took the time and effort to look it up on Google Street View. You see, this is why I told you that real world simply doesn't compare to a video game. You asked for reality, here it is. Enjoy.

England side
I only took the screenshots of the North Shields port signs, not the South Shields as that would require another set of screenshots.
Either way, the result would be the same as none of them say Newcastle. They don't say Amsterdam either, true, but they do say the names of their respective ports. This demonstrates that real life traffic signs cannot compare to in-game ones, and that the in-game ones should at least be consistent. So in-game traffic signs should say Tyne (as North/South Shields don't actually exist in-game).
Screenshots of the English side (10):

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Netherlands side
These are actually pretty accurate. Once you get to IJmuiden the signs even say Engeland, and near the port they also specifically say Newcastle and Harwich. So on top of the signs being accurate, it also shows that the ferry doesn't only go to Newcastle but to Harwich as well, as I originally assumed about the real life transport routes from Amsterdam.
Screenshots of the Dutch side (12) (one screenshot is of the dock entrance which is, remarkably, almost exactly the same as in-game so props to the graphic designing team for that):

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

In conclusion, the signs on the English side should be changed to point to Tyne (in-game name of the port) to be consistent with the real life signs and with the logic of things, really, as it makes no sense for them to say Newcastle that is not the name of the port neither in-game nor in real life.

So Peter...you were saying? I bet you didn't expect me to do the legwork so you could have the final word, did you?
Well, maybe next time. Sorry. ;)

P.S.
I hate you for making me do this. :evil: :lol:
Max
SCS Software

#16 Post by Max » 24 Jan 2015 13:47

thanks a lot for the report.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
plykkegaard

#17 Post by plykkegaard » 24 Jan 2015 14:36

Totally agree that "Newcastle" on the English site is out of place, and yes I do miss ferry signage both before and after Amsterdam it took me by surprise a couple of times
Nice touch with "Engeland" under the ferry symbol, would be nice to see in game eventually

Very nice report and very well documented
May I give a link to the promods team? It would be useful for them too

It takes a huge amount of time to create documentation like this but makes it so easy for the modelers to give you a better gaming experience

Thanks /Peter

popovich

#18 Post by popovich » 25 Jan 2015 03:42

plykkegaard wrote:Nice touch with "Engeland" under the ferry symbol, would be nice to see in game eventually
It's already there, check the Netherlands in-game screenshots on page 1.
That's why I said that those are accurate.

Return to “Bugs 1.15”