OSX with NVIDIA GeForce: anyone else seeing SEGV and ABRT?

RootlessAgrarian

OSX with NVIDIA GeForce: anyone else seeing SEGV and ABRT?

#1 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 26 Mar 2016 22:58

Hi all Mac owners who are also ETS2 or ATS addicts...

I've been struggling for a few weeks trying to figure out why I'm getting so many game crashes. Most of the discussion is over at ProMods because some of the crashes seem to be related to recent PM release (TCP specifically); however, it's possible that their TCP is just tweaking an OSX-specific weakness in the core of the game. I'm testing my mods, trying to figure out what's triggering the crashes.

Has anyone else seen the following: SIGSEGV (immediate crash to desktop) either in ETS2 game code or in GeForce driver? GPU errors? SIGABRT? Sudden degradation of frame rate, jitter, then hard crash, not reproducible when you restart and drive through the same area? jitters, low fps, stuttering, sometimes crashing that is reproducible in certain fairly small areas? OpenGL texture trashing including small/medium fonts and/or the red trace in the GPS map?

And one more question: are others with GeForce GPUs using the NVIDIA CUDA driver, or the Apple driver?

Hmm... and one more question: there are some other Mac users, right? I'm not the only one?

[EDIT: oh and btw, no, my silicon is not overheating. CPU and GPU both 70C or cooler, the whole time.]
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)

eusebio1

Re: OSX with NVIDIA GeForce: anyone else seeing SEGV and AB

#2 Post by eusebio1 » 02 Apr 2016 13:27

I'm on Mac OS X as well but its not using a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card but the integrated Intel Iris one. So I can't tell you anything about GeForce exclusive problems.

What I can confirm though is the OpenGL errors that exist in v1.22 (I didn't try the 1.23 beta yet, apparently they have been fixed). AFAIK these errors are mainly mod-related, so its up to the creators of the mods to adapt their mods to make them OpenGL-compatible - and many do so already.

I can also confirm the regular stuttering that even exists when I put down graphics quality.'

Edit: On a side note - is this still the right forum to discuss Mac OS X problems? The Mac version of the game is out of beta for quite some time now, but I guess its good to have a Mac-exclusive area of the forum to discuss Mac OS X problems.

RootlessAgrarian

#3 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 02 Apr 2016 20:18

Answer to the crash problem for OSX platform with NVIDIA GeForce is to install the NVIDIA "web" driver (the one they offer for DL as an alternative to the official Apple version). The NVIDIA driver (a) does not crash, (b) will handle displays of any resolution, rather than being hard-wired to Apple display formats only.

I still see "hot spots" in ETS2 (with ProMods, that is) where for some reason the GPU staggers, gps drops to 15 or worse, much stuttering and struggling. It's not clear why some of these spots are so hot :-) they are not always areas with fancy architecture, for example. I am trying to log the hot spots in the hope that PM devs may eventually decide to investigate (right now they have more urgent fish to fry). You probably know this already, but turning off the truck cab (use outside camera) will help get you through the stuttering areas.

Have you observed any commonality between hot spots? I find they are pretty repeatable, i.e. certain areas are reliably troublesome. But I have not yet figured out what they have in common.

I do find that other trucks (AI trucks) even when parked, not moving, seem to use up a lot of GPU capacity. Perhaps they are rendered in more loving detail than buildings and other scenery. I found a gas station where 8 to 10 trucks were parked, which was absolutely impossible to navigate (<10 fps); revisiting it, the game engine had generated fewer parked trucks and it was now navigable. So the count of parked trucks seemed to have a big effect on GPU bogging down. If this is true, then the devs might one day provide us with a "cap the number of parked AIs in the area to N" parameter that would make the game run OK on weaker platforms.

I guess one answer is "get a more powerful gaming platform" -- but I have a hard time with the idea of spending another $2000+ on latest greatest computer hardware to run a game that cost me $60 or so, if you know what I mean... I know some hardcore gamers think nothing of spending kilobux to keep up with the bleeding edge, but surely the devs want to market the game as widely as possible, not only to the hardcore. So ensuring that it stays playable on older platforms seems like a Good Idea. This however is not I think an SCS issue! The core game doesn't challenge my GPU; it's all the nice artwork in PM and other mods that kills the GeForce H/W. I have not yet found any hot spots in barebones SCS -- have you?
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)

SiSL
SCS Software

#4 Post by SiSL » 02 Apr 2016 20:59

@Rootless, while not related to any Mac hardware, those hotspots are also problem in Windows, but reasons behind it often "map" problems and lod problems. It is not often vanilla game problem, mod and map makers tend to make large "open spaces" and almost no "lods" on their models even like custom trucks, trailers, ai etc. Therefor large chunk of data even if you don't see them had to be rendered on those spots. We have lived that in Scandinavia DLC sadly where certain map is inspired from.

amzounslide

Re: OSX with NVIDIA GeForce: anyone else seeing SEGV and ABRT?

#5 Post by amzounslide » 24 Jun 2019 19:58

I tried it first by my own and used then the script to make a deb file.

Return to “Mac OS Beta Testing”