Having trouble with reflection material not applying.

Digital X

Having trouble with reflection material not applying.

#1 Post by Digital X » 02 Dec 2021 17:08

This should be pretty obvious to do but i cannot see why this fails.

I am modelling some engine HP badges for a truck, when i select "vehicle_reflection_s.tga" in Blender it appears fine:

[ external image ]

But when I select the newly created.tobj it's pink and my badges in game have no reflection which looks awful.

[ external image ]

Am I missing something simple? I have done a few bumpers in ATS and it worked fine.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Having trouble with reflection material not applying.

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Dec 2021 17:10

why do you use a .tga for reflection ? use the game provided .tobj in the base folder, because it has more then 1 texture in it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Digital X

#3 Post by Digital X » 02 Dec 2021 17:11

I thought that's what I had to do, i did see more than 1 but wasn't sure how to use it.

Still pink with that vehicle_reflection.tobj.
xXCARL1992Xx

#4 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Dec 2021 17:14

dont convert textures from the game to .tgas, import anything with reflection (truck is enough) into the base folder where all game textures are stored and then use the .tobj of it for all your projects, there is no need to convert it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Digital X

#5 Post by Digital X » 02 Dec 2021 17:34

It's still not doing it. I put the reflection tobj in blender and it's pink. I've put the reflection.tobj in the mod folder in material/evironment. Still no reflection in game.
xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Dec 2021 17:36

does the game say anything at all ?
[ external image ]
Digital X

#7 Post by Digital X » 02 Dec 2021 17:43

No, nothing about the textures. No errors, warnings etc.

Push comes to shove I'll have to find another texture without reflection or I'll never get them done. Such a simple thing yet i struggle with it.

Edit: I might have to do this another way, and just make the numbers a .png texture and build a basic shape like the turbo and intercooler badges have. When I made the numbers the mesh the UV unwrap looked awful.

I've done it this way for now, how the turbo and intercooler badges are, just a texture on a rectangle. I learnt how to make new accessory slots so today has been productive at least in that sense.

https://i.imgur.com/XiJKNeb.jpg
MatzeH

#8 Post by MatzeH » 06 Dec 2021 14:51

What .tobj is the benz star using? Are you 100% sure you understood what @xXCARL1992Xx tried to tell you? Just to make sure :)

The .tobjs for reflections in blender working in a similar way as the ones for the mirrors. They actually using the 5 skybox textures for the specific .tobj as placeholder. The real reflection-magic happens ingane.
Digital X

#9 Post by Digital X » 06 Dec 2021 18:47

I understood it partially. I have a learning disability so I learn a lot slower than everyone else. The thing is, other new models I made had reflections work just fine. But the cab and antenna pieces still come across pink when in Blender.

The reflection tobj is in the material/environment folder on the "work" folder as well as inside the mod.

I made 2 deckplates for the 1632 NG, they have reflections on them when I exported it, they turned out just fine.
MatzeH

#10 Post by MatzeH » 06 Dec 2021 23:21

What confuses me is the tobjs filename and path in your initial post. The correct name and path for the vehicle reflection tobj should be "//material/environment/vehicle_reflection.tobj" and contain:

Code: Select all

map cube
     /material/environment/generic_s.dds
     /material/environment/generic_b.dds
addr
     clamp_to_edge
     clamp_to_edge
     clamp_to_edge