Multiple Blender Installations

Axel Slingerland

Multiple Blender Installations

#1 Post by Axel Slingerland » 13 May 2017 02:49

Can you have multiple Blender installations? I want to try SCS Blender Tools, but that requires 2.80, but I want to be able to go back to 2.77a (and the Blender2SCS addon) if it's too complicated for an old man with brain fog. Is that possible? Because I don't have the Blender2SCS addon installation files anymore, and they aren't available anymore as far as I know, so I doubt that re-installation will be possible.
You can call me Ax

Braakie

Re: Multiple Blender Installations

#2 Post by Braakie » 13 May 2017 07:47

You can use the zip file download and unzip it to your location of choice so the installer does not interfere with any current install. The zip version x86 or x64 can be downloaded at blender.org https://www.blender.org/download/
Then unzip it anywhere you like. In the unzipped zip file there is a folder with 2.78, in that folder you create a new folder that you call "config". Now all your preferences and the startup file stored in that config folder and not in the old blender settings folder. You can start de new blender with the corresponding blender.exe , blender starts and no installation is required, and no registry keys are created.

Axel Slingerland

#3 Post by Axel Slingerland » 13 May 2017 21:45

Thanks, Braakie. I appreciate the reply... But now I am confused. I would swear that I saw a dialog box yesterday that said I had to update to Blender 2.80 to use SCS Blender Tools. But that link you posted says the latest version is 2.78c. So I don't know what I thought I saw yesterday, but I obviously thought it said something it didn't. However, even with 2.78c I still have the same problem. When I get to part 2 of the setup instructions, I do not see "Import-Export: SCS Tools" under "Testing", thus I can not activate the addon.

In any case, what I am trying to do is move a model slightly. But when I do it in Blender 2.77a with the Blender2SCS addon, I can move it ok, but when I export the model, add it to a mod and test it, the model is still where it was originally and hasn't moved. Am I supposed to save it first before exporting it or something?
You can call me Ax

MrCapital

#4 Post by MrCapital » 14 May 2017 02:38

Have you hit the "Apply location & rotation" button in the "Object" tab before export? Else the move will not be exported.
- retired modder - do not disturb -

Axel Slingerland

#5 Post by Axel Slingerland » 14 May 2017 07:53

No, I didn't know about that. I'm way beyond being a Noobie at this. I have zero 3D modeling experience. So I did that, or at least I think I did, but the model is still not moved when I test it.

All I been able to successfully do in Blender thus far is import a company sign and export it to use with a different company. And I can only do that because someone wrote me some detailed step by step instructions on how to do it. This time however, I have no instructions and I'm wingin' it. And let's just say my wings ain't in the mood to fly... Image
You can call me Ax

MrCapital

#6 Post by MrCapital » 14 May 2017 09:14

It's not easy to understand everything in the beginning, but you will!

Try to move the object in Edit mode. Hit Tab key and then "A" to select everything (to select parts of the object hit "B" and drag over the parts you want to select). Move it to where you want it and then hit Tab again to exit Edit mode. Then Export. And also make sure you export the model to the right folder. I've made that mistake many times and couldn't understand why my changes just wouldn't show up. :lol:

Axel Slingerland

#7 Post by Axel Slingerland » 14 May 2017 10:15

I've got the importing and exporting bit down. Repetition and all that. But this is the first time I have tried moving an object, after discovering I could do it by accident.

Assuming I can get the model to stay where I want it to go, could you look at this and tell me how far should I move the Lightbox model to get it where it needs to be on the front of the truck?

It's supposed to be here:

But it's just below the surface of the front of the truck:

It needs to be raised and moved forward slightly so it will sit in it's proper place above the windshield.

I'm using the old Blender2SCS Addon to do this, since I couldn't get Blender Tools to install. If you could tell me how to do that I would be most grateful!
You can call me Ax

MrCapital

#8 Post by MrCapital » 14 May 2017 13:44

I'll send you a PM.

Return to “Blender Tools”