Confusion with converting .pit and .pim

stoked_dude

Confusion with converting .pit and .pim

#1 Post by stoked_dude » 02 Oct 2019 16:22

Ok so I am working on altering existing road templates for ATS (us_1-1_country) and I am using the ConverterPIX thing and I am not entirely sure what to do. I have tried to use the export panel to export it back into game format ( .pmd and .pmg) but it doesn't seem to export anything but .pit and .pim.

I was using this menu. I made sure to select the only 'Scene' used in this project.

Now I was watching a tutorial on YouTube altough very barely into the topic of what I am doing and he was using the CONVERT CURRENT SCS PROJECT button and it created this command prompt with a error that crashed my Blender. In the error ouput log there is no errors showing btw. Image
I am not really sure what to do or what I am doing wrong here but I would appreciate if someone were to help me thanks!

Last edited by stoked_dude on 02 Oct 2019 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Project West, Authentic Roads and Project Japan

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Confusion with converting .pit and .pim

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Oct 2019 16:26

further up is a line to SCS Conversion Tools, there you have to enter the path to the converter tools from SCS, then you can pack the mod, export only exports it as piX files, not ad pmX files
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

stoked_dude

#3 Post by stoked_dude » 02 Oct 2019 16:54

xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
02 Oct 2019 16:26
further up is a line to SCS Conversion Tools, there you have to enter the path to the converter tools from SCS, then you can pack the mod, export only exports it as piX files, not ad pmX files
I already did that.

room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 03 Oct 2019 11:58

When you import .pim file (the original .pmg) you'll see a report on the screen overlaying the 3D view, if Blender found anything odd in the .pit file (original .pmd)

"default export path" must be filled in as well. This is the specific folder where the model (pmg) lives.
If you make any changes to the model, you need to 'Export' middle format files (ie. pit, pim, etc) back to the same location from where you imported it. Even if this is not required, I do it anyway.

If there are ANY errors, check the convert log file at the specified location. If there are errors, it will sometimes give you the line number in the .pit file where the error(s) occur.
You can edit the .pit file with Notepad (but I prefer Notepad++) to correct any errors. Save the file.

Then re-import into Blender again.
Fill out the "default export path" again.
Click "Convert Current SCS Project", but deselect the three options below it first. Again, this is what I do. You may want to use some of those options. Up to you.
If all goes well you'll see a message "Conversion done!" in the header line of Blender.

Check your conversion tools path location and in it you'll see a folder "rsrc"
In that folder there will be a folder with the name starting with "linked" and in that folder you'll find "@cache" folder. Inside that folder you'll find the folder structure of the mod you just converted.
Copy all of these files to the exact same locations in your mod, overwriting the ones there.
Conversion process will also create "automat" folder. Copy that to your mod too.

I hope I haven't forgot anything :)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do.

xXCARL1992Xx

#5 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Oct 2019 12:32

the easiest way is to set blender up in a way that you only need to press one button, i do it that way for 4 month now after i got the tip how to better my workflow and it save a hell lot of time

this is the way i do it and it always works for me:

i have simple folder on my HDD where i store all my mod source files for easy editing (called 0_my_mods, 0_ is only there so the folder shows up as the first entry) inside this folder i have a folder called "base"

the base folder needs following files inside it
you get all of this if you extract the def.scs once and copy the needed files into the "base" folder, the unit/hookup folder is in the base.scs, also needed or you need to assign every locator for lights/particles again (bet for prefabs this is also true)
also, copy the conversion tools into said mods folder also for easy finding

if this is set up i import a model into the base folder from the game (wich ever you want here i have the cabs from the Renault Trucks T), if the import is done, change the SCS Project Base Path to the folder for your mod (in my case Renage_T_Rework)
set the path for the Coversion Tools also

if this is done, scroll down in the Scene tab Image until you see the Export Panel

there you set where the model should be exported to if you are done with your edits (in my case //vehicle/truck/renault_t), the moment you hit Export blender will export the files into your set location

now the Conversion Helper, here you set the path where your mod should be exported to completely ready for the game, be it in a separate folder (like i did it) or directly into the mod folder of ETS/ATS, this is up to you how you want to handle it, below that you set the name for said mod (self explanatory)

then you have some options, i let them be as blender has them by default, only i changed "deflated" to "no archive" this way the mod will be exported as a folder and you can do easy editing in regards to def files without unpacking the mod every time

now if you hit >>>>PACK MOD<<<< blender will convert everything inside your mod folder (in my example everything inside Range_T_Rework) to a game ready mod to your chosen location in wich ever form you want it (as a folder or .ziped archive)

you complete mod can be saved inside the SCS Project Base Path, all defs, all ui related stuff etc. for me it looks like this (Range_T_Rework mod example, the number of folders can vary if you change more stuff like models, flares, prefabs etc.)
blend_source > here i have every edited model saved as a .blend file for easy access to them (wont be converted by the conversion tools)
def > every def file i changed or need for changed/added stuff
material > if you have custom ui icons fr your mod there go here
vehicle > every model file you changed/every custom texture you added that isnt present in the game base files
manifest and preview image for your mod, not needed but better to keep it clean

i hope this is somewhat helpful and complete, if something isnt clear to you ask and i try to help understand it better if i can :D
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

stoked_dude

#6 Post by stoked_dude » 05 Oct 2019 19:20

Thanks for the help, I have sorted this out as of now!

PDogg

#7 Post by PDogg » 22 Jan 2021 04:34

Hey carl1992

Mate I’ve done everything you’ve said but I need some help. Everything exporting fine now but once packed doesn’t work in game. Am I missing a critical ingredient? Sorry if it’s a silly question I’m a newbie..

Return to “Blender Tools”