Building curves/buildings

WindWalker

Building curves/buildings

#1 Post by WindWalker » 17 Feb 2021 21:24

Hello, is there a reference or tutorial on making buildings/curves for ETS2 (1.39/1.40)? I have several blender models already working as "model" in the game and which I wish to use as curves/buildings. But I could not figure out the way of doing it... I simply place them in model folder, with properly referenced material/automat files and define them in curve_model.my or building_model.my def file,but I cannot view them in the game... What is it that I'm missing?

PS: By the way, what is the difference between a curve and a building?
Reinhard

Re: Building curves/buildings

#2 Post by Reinhard » 17 Feb 2021 21:40

I can't answer your last question because I know "curves" only from the map editor. I see some different options than for type "buildings", in the properties window, but I have no clue about internals. I never modeled "curves".

To understand any of this you have to import several models of these different types, in Blender or Zmodeler. And analyze it.

You can't simply change a "model" into a "building", or do any other type conversion, without doing advanced 3D-modeling. This is not a simple def file job.
Cuavanti

#3 Post by Cuavanti » 24 Feb 2021 09:09

Just importing a model from a mod into Blender isn't the complete solution though.
When a model (or whatever) is made in Blender and exported to a mod it will loose some of it settings. This means you cannot re-engineer a Blender file from a mod. It helps but it's a lot of pain doing so.
I've been trying to find some original Blender files, but it's hard. And tutorials are 99,9% covering trucks. No models, curves, etc.
I hope one day there wil be a repository of tutorials and accompanying models so learning will be easier.
Reinhard

#4 Post by Reinhard » 24 Feb 2021 09:26

Cuavanti wrote: 24 Feb 2021 09:09 Just importing a model from a mod into Blender isn't the complete solution though.
Of course not. You missed the "And analyze it" sentence. That's the important part. :lol:

If you import a "buildings" model, there is a clearly visible structure: a beginning, something in the middle, and an ending. If you compare that to how the model behaves in the map editor, if you stretch it, it becomes obvious that the middle part will be automatically duplicated, more or less often.
Cuavanti wrote: 24 Feb 2021 09:09 When a model (or whatever) is made in Blender and exported to a mod it will loose some of it settings. This means you cannot re-engineer a Blender file from a mod. It helps but it's a lot of pain doing so.
This is something I simply don't understand. I use Zmodeler, and I never had such problems. And though I don't use Blender, I have read a lot discussions about it, in this forum. I never read something in this regard. Is possibly something wrong with your setup of ConverterPix? Or is nobody from the Blender crowd importing buildings? No clue.
Cuavanti

#5 Post by Cuavanti » 20 Apr 2021 06:52

I have tried to use ZModeler, but it seems SCS uses Blender themselves. So who am I to try to outsmart them :)
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Apr 2021 07:14

In most cases zmodeler3 does a nice job
At least you can analyze the imported model and compare with what you have in Blender despite the differences
There isn't much to it if you eg create a fence or similar
It could be you anchor point for the model

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Blender Tools”