SCS Blender Tools

Onionjack-

Re: SCS Blender Tools

#31 Post by Onionjack- » 24 Jun 2015 09:00

This is good news, already checked the example model and I was actually bit surprised how lowpoly the MAN truck is. It's rather old model I assume, so I'm wondering what are the polylimits for trucks these days? Around 30k or could I go higher around 60k?

Might actually go back to my old project I started few years back, the Volvo F88 :geek:
50keda
SCS Software

#32 Post by 50keda » 24 Jun 2015 09:16

@onionjack: for exterior you may go up to 60k max for 1 truck variant ( 1cab + 1 chassis ); interior should have less around 45k. But this is triangles count, not quads or ngons ;)
Onionjack-

#33 Post by Onionjack- » 24 Jun 2015 10:09

Thanks! Figured it would be something like that :)
Wolfi
Beta tester

#34 Post by Wolfi » 01 Jul 2015 07:52

Today I came to a huge dissapointment. I downloaded and installed Blender Tools, looks cool, the samples aren't bad.
But, as people mentioned before, all old models are impossible to import... (officially) so this means 1,5 year of my work on different models now can be dumped because they are not openable in blender and aparently soon will not be compatible with the game? Even such a basic thing as textures HAVE TO BE .tga - this means the need of converting all of the old textures in .dds format.
Sorry to say but at it's current state Blender Tools kills all the old long developed models.
Also I do understand SCS wants people to get creative. But making people do something from scratch at the very beginning will put most people away.
That's how modding community works. Someone copies base ingame model and improves it, someone updates it and makes it even beter, eventually someone realises he can make a model on their own, but it has to start somewhere and imo Blender Tools takes the easy start away.

At the end I wanted to add that I do respect all the hard work SCS has done on the Blender Tools. I was just hoping it would solve some of the old plugin issues, and yet it created a bunch of new ones.
Oh well guess the easy tims have ended... time to learn alot new things and reduce mod numbers to 1 at a time...

And at the end one question: Doeas the current game version 1.18 recognise new model formats?
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
davidzoli

#35 Post by davidzoli » 01 Jul 2015 09:28

As far as I know, you have to keep the old addon too to import pmd files.
There are no new format. Files in the examples are middle (unconverted (uncompiled) source) formats. Game using pmds exported from them. Like before. The Tool is good for creating. You can import your old works, but the some of the extra features of Tools are not operating on them.
Correct me, if not.
gzugel

#36 Post by gzugel » 11 Jul 2015 17:21

Hi to all! I'm using Blender Tools v.0.6 and have some problems with displaying materials in the game. In my model I'm using two materials with shaders "dif.spec.over" and "dif.spec" with the same settings of shininess, add_ambient, ... Textures for this materials were baked with the same render settings. This how it looks in Blender:
[ external image ]

And this how it looks in the game (HDR is off):
[ external image ]

As you can see mapping is crashed and the material with "dif.spec.over" has no mixed ambient color. If someone had a problems like this, please say what to do with it.
50keda
SCS Software

#37 Post by 50keda » 11 Jul 2015 20:12

@gzugel: I will need blend file, to investigate this problem. Because there might be multiple problems:
1. negative scaling
2. normals might be unnormalized
3. some weird parenting
4. weird topology

Well if none of this is true, then it might be wrong setup or a bug in any case blend file with textures will help me to solve the problem.
gzugel

#38 Post by gzugel » 11 Jul 2015 21:26

I will need blend file
Hope this part will be enough, because the whole project is too heavy to download :D.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-anZ ... sp=sharing

I realize that this two materials have the same color on the sun light (and in service station). But it seems, that "dif.spec.over" doesn't receive the shadows, that's why this materials aren't look the same in some lighting conditions.
50keda
SCS Software

#39 Post by 50keda » 13 Jul 2015 12:47

@gzugel: well the problem in your case is in material. Don't ever place transparent surface atop of another transparent surface, which in your case you did with material "dif.spec.over" on radio box.

Explanation on your case:
[ external image ]
The thing is that transparent materials are not sorted by z-depth. So there is no guarantee that meshes using transparent material will be drawn correctly as the face which is drawn as last is actually seen. In your case some of the above faces marked with "2nd" were drawn first and then faces "1st" were drawn, that's why you have seen both black and grey surfaces. Why mixture? Because some of the triangles were incidentally saved in correct order, and faces "2nd" were drawn as last.

Solutions:
1. Simply use "dif.spec" shader and radio will be drawn correctly ;)

2. Remove button writings from your existing texture first, so that you will have just black surface buttons. Then create simple quad meshes for each button and create another small texture (256x256) with writings for buttons. Then map quad meshes on newly created texture and assign "dif.spec.over" material on this meshes.

Code: Select all

NOTE: Second solution is correct one, because you will be able to scale down your original texture because you won't need details for button writings. Consequentially you will create more detailed radio and you will use less MBytes for textures.
upiter

#40 Post by upiter » 13 Jul 2015 14:39

Good afternoon! Help me please to set up Blender, I can not configure the plug-scs software. Please do not write me links to other sites.

Return to “General discussion”