Suggestions & feature wishlist

50keda
SCS Software

Suggestions & feature wishlist

#1 Post by 50keda » 13 Dec 2016 09:53

As you already know this kinds of topics for ETS2 and ATS, you can freely discus the same for Blender Tools inside this topic.
Smarty
Beta tester

Re: Suggestions & feature wishlist

#2 Post by Smarty » 08 Jan 2017 05:58

Is there any chance of getting a feature where we can inject some Blender Python during export, after the modifier stack is applied and the mesh is triangulated, on a per-mesh-object basis? (e.g. SCS Object Specials gets a text field for mesh objects where the user can put bpy commands to run for that object, and the exporter executes them after the modifier stack and triangulation before writing the geometry to the PIM). Specifically, on objects where I use a mirror modifier and custom vertex normals via Y.A.V.N.E., I want to invoke bpy.ops.mesh.yavne_update_vertex_normals() after the mesh is triangulated to fix the abomination Blender leaves behind. ;)

Ideally, I'd be able to make my own modifier to stick in the stack, but as I understand it, Blender is kind of stupid and has no provision for custom modifiers (unless you compile them in from source which is a little beyond my skill set). Right now, I'm stuck manually applying my modifiers, triangulating and recalculating the normals before I export, which means I have to delete half of my mesh and recreate my modifiers any time I want to edit a symmetrical mesh or I have to maintain two sets of meshes: one with quads, n-gons, modifiers, etc for editing; and one with tris and applied modifiers that I replace every time I edit the other one... for each mesh object. No es bueno. :P
natvander
SCS Software

#3 Post by natvander » 08 Jan 2017 07:58

Tutorials would be awesome - especially on exporting assets.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
50keda
SCS Software

#4 Post by 50keda » 08 Jan 2017 13:25

@natvander: http://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Tutorials

Now if you are not satisfied with the ones already made ... then make proper suggestion stating exact tutorial topic you would like to have, because "tutorial for exporting assets" that is nothing and everything.
50keda
SCS Software

#5 Post by 50keda » 08 Jan 2017 13:28

@Smarty: why don't you create your own export wrapper? You can do anything in blender python before and then just call operator for exporting ;)
angrybirdseller

#6 Post by angrybirdseller » 08 Jan 2017 14:40

8-) next cube tutorial adding effect like reflection on it and adding different looks to cube. For example have blue cube exported, but you want to assign it different look. Click on model want to choose color of cube in map editor blue or red
50keda
SCS Software

#7 Post by 50keda » 10 Jan 2017 13:53

@angrybirdseller: so you need to know how to add & setup new look in BT or how to use looks in game editor?
angrybirdseller

#8 Post by angrybirdseller » 25 Jan 2017 20:32

How to add and setup new look in Bender tools editor rather than export three cubes with three different colors.
Smarty
Beta tester

#9 Post by Smarty » 11 Feb 2017 01:37

It would be nice to have an upgrade to Conversion Helper for streamlined use with SCS Workshop Uploader. Basically a second export path and package name, plus the ability to include an alternate manifest ...or just a way for CH to magically comment out attributes from the manifest which are verboten in Workshop Validator. So when you pack for Workshop, CH creates a package in your project's Workshop Uploader folder, optionally with a different package name, and optionally with a different manifest — all without altering the regular mod folder and package name in the .blend file.

Another passing thought... maybe also implement a way to select whether or not each custom path is included in the current build(s) rather than having to add/remove them each time. For example: If an author uses custom paths for (unfinished) elements of future versions, (s)he may want to exclude them when packaging a public release without having to add them back into CH to compile the next 'dev' build.

-----

Yet another passing thought: When packing in a compressed format (i.e. deflate or bzip2), it would be handy for CH to recognize when audio files are above the size threshold for seeking in compressed entries, and use the 'store' method on these entries. It would make CH a little more friendly for authors who use longer clips.
SiSL
SCS Software

#10 Post by SiSL » 19 Feb 2017 08:35

May be? Manual material entry option. Ofcourse manual mats should not do anything to for WYSIWYG

For instance...

Name : "yuv2rgb.over"

option 1 "controller", value "/vehicle/truck/test.sii"
option 2 + additional options when pressed to a button etc.

You know a "Use custom material" button opens up 1 for name and 2 columns 1 row table name -> value inputs and have "add property" for adding more. That way, it can be used for non-blender-visible effects or any custom effect that is not "pre-defined"

Return to “General discussion”