Bake AO map with alpha

Zakxaev68

Bake AO map with alpha

#1 Post by Zakxaev68 » 06 Feb 2021 18:36

I'm at the point of learning how the whole bake process works. Current scenario? My AO map lacks alpha channel, pure white. Do I wonder why... Perhaps the alpha has to be made separately from the baking? Perhaps one has to do it in Photoshop. Perhaps its a whole different world of "I'll take your sanity away"... :D Blender 2.81

Nothing comes up in a Google search about AO masks as well.
Hard truckin' on the virtual roads since 2002...

The Big Rig Rock is under indefinite hiatus!
SiSL
SCS Software

Re: Bake AO map with alpha

#2 Post by SiSL » 06 Feb 2021 18:37

Alpha is specularity map. Yes, it has to be done via Image Processing software like GIMP. Photoshop etc, manually by hand.
Zakxaev68

#3 Post by Zakxaev68 » 06 Feb 2021 18:42

Say you have to make it out of the AO texture? What the... hook, man. :o

Only
[ external image ]
will take me ages. Huuuuuh!

-----

Maybe not. If I understood correctly, it should be fairly easy:

[ external image ]

Inverted the AO texture, then boosted the saturation. Don't blame me on the AO mess, I don't know a proper technique to unwrap in an organized, clean way.

SiSL
SCS Software

#4 Post by SiSL » 06 Feb 2021 19:04

Alpha on general dif.spec textures defines how this surface will shine :) So darker color in alpha, less shiny...white full shiny...
Zakxaev68

#5 Post by Zakxaev68 » 06 Feb 2021 19:07

I plan to use this on truckpaint texture. After all it's the Range T plastic part (grille above) I'm aiming to turn painted with proper shading. Its a good truck to learn to do things anyhow.

xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 Feb 2021 19:09

the plastic parts of the Range T already have an AO, SCS just vertex painted them black

when i do AO textures i normally dont do any alpha work on it and they work without problem for me
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Zakxaev68

#7 Post by Zakxaev68 » 06 Feb 2021 19:16

Yep, Carl, they have however you lose the fake shadows when you change the vertex paint. I found out if I AO bake myself, I can match the new paint with truck paint much better w/o vertex painting by hand. Not gonna talk about vertexp baking, never did it before, no idea how it works.

My biggest guess why they vertex painted them black > they used the AO alpha to determine the shading opacity. Could be totally wrong.

xXCARL1992Xx

#8 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 Feb 2021 19:20

the Range T uses very little vertex paint for AO, all details are on the textures, when i did my parts i had to do a bit of touch up by hand but the textures from SCS do work good

but that the alpha of the AO also has a meaning is new for me, i never bothered to do it or conversion tools did it for me, in paint.net i have a plugin to create an alpha from the image itself, GIMP should also have a function for it but i seldom use it, maybe one of those can help
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion”