Missing materials after importing model

Dotec

Re: Missing materials after importing model

#11 Post by Dotec » 27 Feb 2021 13:42

well yes, you're right. It seems you have to copy the unit folder first before you import model. otherwise you get this error:

[ external image ]

I will change the tutorial @KGergely
room217au

#12 Post by room217au » 27 Feb 2021 14:46

What about ATS? The trucks are DLC and separate from base? or do we just put bas.scs and the truck DLC in the 'base' folder?

I'm asking these questions because I don't modify the game trucks, only mod trucks. Seems a little excessive to convert the entire base archive when, for my situation, I only need literally a dozen files, maximum, from that base.scs

I convert models from command line (I feel more comfortable there. Shrug) with the mod as the Project Base, then import those pit/pim/pic files straight into blender.
Make whatever edits, export to folder where converter_pix converted it to (the location specified by the -e switch in converter_pix). Regardless of whether I need to export the model at that time, I export anyway.
Then still in blender, I convert the project back to pmg/pmd/pmc (they appear in the rsrc\@cache folder in ConversionTools folder) and then copy and overwrite those files back to the mod itself, which is also the Base Project.
Some shared files are required to be copied over to the mod, but they are few in number and are not added to the final 'game ready' mod.
This also gives me a complete backup copy of the mod by default.

I have base.scs and def.scs extracted into a master folder called "_ATS_Files". I need to re-extract and replace these two archives every time the game updates tho.
Given that @Dotec says to let Blender do the conversion, I guess this would need to be done each game update too?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
xXCARL1992Xx

#13 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Feb 2021 15:03

the only addons you need is Blender Tools, converterPIXwrapper and conversion tools, then a folder where you store your mods in, inside this folder is one called base where all your game textures are imported to and the def files you need + the hookup folder, and when ou import a truck from ATS you mount the base.scs and then you open the truck you want to import, there is no need to extract the whole base.scs and dumb it into the base folder because blender wouldnt be able to read a single .tobj file anyway
this is how my current new structure looks like

[ external image ]
0_blend_models is only for raw model i make myself so i dont have to edit hundreds of other files (not needed) 0_conversion_tools is where i have the conversion tools (obviously), 0_converts is where i convert my mods to (NEVER convert them directly into your mods folder, if you forget to set a name ONCE the whole folder will be wiped), 0_imports, here i import everything, 0_refs is for reference material, base is where all game textures, the hookups and blender needed def files are stored (textures to base option while importing stores them here) the other 3 are my mods where i have all my created/modified files

this is my setup in blender

[ external image ]
these are my export settings, top box is your export path, you can also set them individually per SCS Root if needed, bottom empty box is for the mod name that should ALWAYS be filled out, the options above >Pack Mod<, clean cleans the conversion tools, export exports the models before convert and convert converts them, above this you can select the method of conversion end result, folder, ziped with and without compression

[ external image ]
here are my converterPIXwrapper options

[ external image ]

and at the top is where you mount additional archives, so if you import the WesternStar 49X for example, you would mount the base.scs before you load the dlc_westernstar_49x.scs or else textures will be missing like reflections, or shared textures from //vehicle/truck/share/ folder

the marked "textures to base?" option will put all textures in the base folder that the model needs

so no need to extract the base.scs entirely because then you would need to throw them into converterPIX so you have files to work with, converterPIXwrapper already does all this fast and comfortable with an UI
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
KGergely

#14 Post by KGergely » 27 Feb 2021 15:07

Succes!
[ external image ]

Thank you so much for the help for everyone! ;)
Sebastian7870

#15 Post by Sebastian7870 » 20 Mar 2021 05:41

@xXCARL1992Xx Sorry that I "re-open" this topic but I have one question. So, I do it the same way like you:
1. I import the models (and the textures) with convertPixWrapper so that they aren't binary as they would with the scsExtractor.

2. (Sadly, I always have to move the imported files from my mod_base to the base directory because convertPixWrapper imports the files into the mod_base)

3. Now I can use the textures reference-like (without needing them in my own mod_base) for my models.

BUT there is one question left for me: Is there any good way to update these files inside base to a newer version (for example to version 1.40) because SCS sometimes updates textures too, don't they? (espacially 1.40)
I mean as long as the folder-structure is correct the game will use the up-to-date files from the gamefiles in-game but my previewed model in Blender will use the "old" textures which are located in my base file which had been imported with convertPixWrapper.
Creator of the Swap Body Carrier System
[ external image ]
Steam | WorldOfTrucks | SCS Profile
xXCARL1992Xx

#16 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Mar 2021 08:26

this is my folder structure, and when you select textures to base before you import it will all be stored in the base folder
[ external image ]

updating textures, reimporting the model from a newer game version should be enough
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Sebastian7870

#17 Post by Sebastian7870 » 20 Mar 2021 09:03

Okay, thank you very much.
The 'texture to base' works good but the only problem is that the models did not get moved to the base. But I noticed that I can uncheck the "import pim" checkbox.
The only problem with reimporting is that I have to import many models because I use textures from different models in one model sometimes. But there is no way around it. Still: Thank you :D
[ external image ]
xXCARL1992Xx

#18 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Mar 2021 09:05

then you have to directly import into the base folder when you want textures and models in it, i do it that way so that i only have textures in the base and 0_imports has all the models i can just delete when the size gets to big
[ external image ]
Sebastian7870

#19 Post by Sebastian7870 » 20 Mar 2021 10:02

That is smart! I think I will do the same in the future because the base folder is already quiet big.
Thank you again for these clever tips! ;)

Have a nice weekend!
[ external image ]
aerlenkoenig

#20 Post by aerlenkoenig » 20 Sep 2021 18:30

I have tried several ways to load a truck model into Blender without errors. Unfortunately it never worked, no matter which way I tried. I tried to follow @Dotec's instructions one by one, but something does not seem to work for me there either. After the import I get a warning summary regarding shader presets. Maybe someone has a trained eye and can tell me if and what I am doing wrong.

I have proceeded as follows:
  • Make a directory and call it "base"
[ external image ]
  • Copy base.scs (1.41) and scs_extractor.exe to "base" folder
[ external image ]
  • Open Blender and set SCS Project Base Path to "base" folder
[ external image ]
  • Create a new folder "extraction" inside "base" folder
[ external image ]
  • Move base.scs and scs_extractor.exe to "extraction" folder, extract base.scs and copy extracted "unit" folder to "base" folder
[ external image ]
  • Switch to Blender and go to Import > SCS Models - ConverterPIX & BT (*.scs) and select base.scs
    Select vehicle/truck/volvo_fh16_2009/truck.pmg
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion”