Blender shaders and materials

tunak

Blender shaders and materials

#1 Post by tunak » 20 Feb 2015 12:05

Ok, first of all i want to thank 50k and the other developer (i don't know his name sorry) for putting their effots for blender tools. We were waiting this for a looooong time. It is simply a new version of blender2scs for now, but i'm sure they will add new things in time.
I was hoping to see 2 important developments in this addon: 1- animation support 2- using original blender materials as standard materials.
By using blender materials we can preview our model directly in blender, so we don't have to repeat "change numbers-export-see how it looks in game" painful cycle over and over again..
I have read the whole wiki. There i saw that, using blender materials is not possible now. But you will change the game engine shaders with blender shaders so it will be possible.
It is really a big pain in the back to model complex things (especially new trucks) without previewing how it looks.

So, my question is; when do you plan to change game shaders with blender shaders?
50keda
SCS Software

Re: Blender shaders and materials

#2 Post by 50keda » 20 Feb 2015 13:17

Well clarification alert:
1. SCS Blender Tools is not new version of blender2scs! That's completely different Blender addon.
2. Materials already use Blender shading (you have to use GLSL shading in viewport) it's just that some things can not be rendered in viewport like it's rendered in game, that's a fact.
tunak

#3 Post by tunak » 20 Feb 2015 13:54

i know it's different. i just mean that they are look alike.
And yes it's using blender shaders, but game isn't. So when we export it to the game, materials look very different than what we see in blender 3d view.

I'm talking about this:
[ external image ]

So when will you change the shaders in the game engine itself?
50keda
SCS Software

#4 Post by 50keda » 20 Feb 2015 15:16

Why would we possibly want to use "primitive" shaders from Blender viewport in game engine? This is simply nonesense.

If you want that then you can just create games with Blender Game Engine?
ohaha

#5 Post by ohaha » 20 Feb 2015 15:33

That's why I never bothered with how things look in Blender.
It's like trying to make a bicycle do drifts like a GTR...
It has wheels, but it ain't gonna happen too soon. :D
Retired, but still loving it.
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Feb 2015 15:45

Well watch almost any down hill event ;-)

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
tunak

#7 Post by tunak » 20 Feb 2015 15:54

@50keda ok boss, if you say so..
but don't get angry on me ok?... i'm not a programmer, I don't know the amout of quality difference between them shaders.
I'm just asking.
ohaha

#8 Post by ohaha » 09 May 2015 05:39

Since this is already here, can I ask a question, too?
Is it possible to get a larger list of shader presets? atm, it's like 8 or 10... I need lamp, truckpaint, glass, decal etc.

Sorry for being such a n00b, but how do I put more? I added a few, by editing the shader_presets.txt file, but I am not sure I'm doing it properly (copied some settings from vanilla mats), especially about aliases.
could it be possible to point the add-on into reading (and converting to own needs) to the effect folder from an unpacked base?

Thank you

Apologies to the OP for using his topic.
50keda
SCS Software

#9 Post by 50keda » 10 May 2015 07:52

@ohaha: well the library of materials is getting bigger, currently supported for upcoming 0.5: https://github.com/SCSSoftware/BlenderT ... ed-shaders
Sadly there is no automatic way to generate those presets and also we expose only the ones which are 100% supported by my blender material setup, though this might change in the future ;)

And yes this library will extend in each version as we will support more types of models that can be build with Blender Tools.
ohaha

#10 Post by ohaha » 10 May 2015 08:25

Thank you, my friend.
Have a nice weekend!

Return to “Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)”