re-applying shader, texture, material

DubbelDraaiDeur

re-applying shader, texture, material

#1 Post by DubbelDraaiDeur » 03 Sep 2020 11:16

note, I'm a newby in Blender
note, I'm still on Blender version 2.81, not the new 2.90
note, this is a mod that was made in zmodeler

I'm currently trying to update a very old trailer from version 1.17 and make it up to date with current game versions, as well as making it ownable.
So far def editing is 90% done, so I turned to the model itself, first the chassis.
After importing into blender, I started deleting the old materials from the meshes, and made new ones, using the right shader presets.
I have all the original .dds and .tobj files in the base folder for Blender and re-applyed them to the right meshes.
trailer itself looks good in material preview mode and all textures are showing as they should.
But the export is where I'm stuck.. Blender can't finish the export and I get an error: "can't read TOBJ, most probably it's in binary version"

Pastebin to the error log
https://pastebin.com/cfUsvFLT
Drives anything with wheels, and you know... some things without wheels

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: re-applying shader, texture, material

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Sep 2020 15:29

your .tobj are all in the wrong format, yours are game readable formatted, you need them in plain text for conversion tools to convert, there are 2 ways to do it

1. write your own .tobj for every file, maybe even with a batch script

2. convert all textures to .tga and create the .tobj via blender

for 1.

Code: Select all

map 2d
     plain_grey.tga
addr
     repeat
     repeat
this is the plain text .tobj for a repeatable texture, if your texture is not repeatable then use clamp_to_edge instead of repeat, add usage tsnormal at the end if it is a normal map texture, also nocompress exists and will tell conversion tools to not comperes the texture

same can be done with .dds also, it doesnt need to be .tga but then nocompress wont work and will be ignored if you use it

for 2.

instead of a .tobj you link to the .tga, then you select options, U and V repeat is for textures that need to repeat themselves in U or V space or both, like light masks or textures where the mesh is outside the texture size

TS Normal is always used on normal map textures

Color Space Linear im not sure that use it really has because i never saw a texture use it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Etrusan

#3 Post by Etrusan » 03 Sep 2020 15:59

Color Space Linear uses linear color space, mostly used on AO bakes and UI textures.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5GHz; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

DubbelDraaiDeur

#4 Post by DubbelDraaiDeur » 04 Sep 2020 11:13

Sweet! Thanks for the detailed description Carl, I went with option 2 and that worked like a charm!
All the errors on export are gone, except still for 1 .tobj file, vehicle_reflection.
I cannot seem to find any related textures to said .tobj file in the right path in the game files.
I opened with notepad++ HEX editor, and found different references to the generic_s (5 times) and generic_b (1 time) textures. But I have no clue how to go from there..
What am I missing here?

xXCARL1992Xx

#5 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 04 Sep 2020 11:16

Import any model with reflection into an empty scene (anither truck for example) and remember where the files are stored after import, then copy the .tobj of vehicle reflection, if you set up blender right you normally dont need it because it it part of the base
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

DubbelDraaiDeur

#6 Post by DubbelDraaiDeur » 04 Sep 2020 11:32

That fixed it!
My Blender setup and folder structure is kinda a hot mess at the moment, maybe I should re-setup Blender completely, and do it good this time :lol:

Return to “Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)”