Help with Exporting Project

supersobes
Global moderator

Help with Exporting Project

#1 Post by supersobes » 29 Mar 2021 21:28

Yesterday, I successfully exported a project from Blender into ATS. What I did was move the turn signal arrow on the mirror so that it looked like this:

[ external image ]

The problem with that was I made the edits to the wrong model. I edited the mirror with the plastic brackets, but I want to use the mirror with chrome brackets. So today I went back into Blender with the correct model with the chrome brackets. I must have done something correctly by mistake yesterday because now I can no longer successfully export my project into the game. The problem is, I have no idea what that is. Following the Modding Wiki and looking for the answer elsewhere did not yield me a solution, so I came here to ask for assistance. Below if a video that shows exactly what I'm doing. What am I missing here that is causing my mod to no longer work?
Digital X

Re: Help with Exporting Project

#2 Post by Digital X » 30 Mar 2021 09:43

I'm still trying to figure out a lot in Blender myself but the way I used to do it (when I attempted to make edits) was to:

1. Make sure the "SCS Export" option in Output Properties was on "Selection" (And select what you want to export)
2. Untick the "Clean" option when packing your mod.

I've seen it done this way too, but I'm at the stage where I'm getting the reflection tobj missing chrome parts on trucks etc, so I am way behind here.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 30 Mar 2021 15:16

most likely, you forgot to set an export path for your model, so the one you have in your vehicle/truck/westernstar_49x/accessory/mirrors folder is the original file from SCS

this is the first thing, on the right side are the BT also, the context menu isnt really needed

[ external image ]

little tip, never export into the mod folder directly, if by chance you forget to name the mod your whole mod folder will be wiped

another tip, the folder with textures in your mod, you can put them all into base, best you be to directly import into base because you dont need these textures, they are all already provided by the game, so no need to wast space with duplicate textures if you didnt modify them

also, dont untick clean and dont use select, select only exports the selected mesh and if you forget to select something it will be missing and figuring it out why will be a pain if you are new to this, same goes for clean, this option cleans the conversion tools before converting your mod, this way you wont have mod content from other converted mods inside your current mod
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
CrazyGijs

#4 Post by CrazyGijs » 30 Mar 2021 15:26

There's a bug with the Export selection option. When you have the export preview selected on the Selection option, your models get exported to your mod root folder regardless of your default export path. If you untick the preview or use one of the other two export options, your default export path will get respected by the exporter.
[ external image ]

Intel Core i5 9600k, Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F, 16GB 3000 Mhz Corsair RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB, Logitech G502, Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & pedals LC + P1 rim, Driving Force Shifter + DIY Scania SKRS.
Alarthon

#5 Post by Alarthon » 30 Mar 2021 15:58

@CrazyGijs Is that why the modded model is at the base folder instead of say " vehicle\truck\westernstar_49x\accessory\mirror ". I always export with Active scene, yet it still puts the modded model in the base path folder even with Default Export Path set. Not that its hard to copy/paste the files to the correct folder, its just annoying.
Digital X

#6 Post by Digital X » 30 Mar 2021 17:36

OK I stand corrected on the above.
CrazyGijs

#7 Post by CrazyGijs » 30 Mar 2021 18:35

@Alarthon, yes that's correct. I was also a frequent user of the active selection export with preview ticked. I never understood why it didn't export it in the default export path until today. I was wondering what that tick was used for and tried to export it unticked. To my surprise it exported the files into the correct folder. :P
[ external image ]

Intel Core i5 9600k, Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F, 16GB 3000 Mhz Corsair RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB, Logitech G502, Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & pedals LC + P1 rim, Driving Force Shifter + DIY Scania SKRS.
supersobes
Global moderator

#8 Post by supersobes » 31 Mar 2021 02:51

Ah, the problem was indeed the missing export path. From what I read on the modding wiki, I understood that if you leave the export path blank, the path automatically defaults to the project base folder. I guess I understood that incorrectly. I manually set the project base folder as the export path, and it worked.

Now that I got that working, I was able to see my results in-game! :D

[ external image ]

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 30 Mar 2021 15:16 another tip, the folder with textures in your mod, you can put them all into base, best you be to directly import into base because you dont need these textures, they are all already provided by the game, so no need to wast space with duplicate textures if you didnt modify them
I don't think I quite understand which base I should put the textures in. Do you mean that I should put them in the base folder inside my Blender workspace above where my project base is?

[ external image ]
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 31 Mar 2021 15:35

yes, every texture from the game you dont modify can go into the base folder with the same folder structure, this way you can use these textures in blender but you dont need them in your mod because the game already has them
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)”