H-Shifter gear grinding sound

Frank

H-Shifter gear grinding sound

#1 Post by Frank » 26 Apr 2015 17:10

I think the new sound added in 1.17 is fantastic.

I'm referring to the gears grinding sound when driving with manual H-Shifter. This makes manual shifting even more realistic.
I think this is great because you must now shift while actually paying attention to the RPMs (it doesn't prevent from going in gear but the sound of grinding gears is something you want to avoid..).

However, the reason for my post. I don't think this can me classified as a bug but I've noticed that this sound does not cater for a double clutch shifting sequence eg. 1st gear -> clutch -> neutral -> clutch -> 2nd gear.

I shift gears between 1000 - 1500rpm, the grinding sound always trigger when doing double clutch no matter how good the shift was. I don't know the parameters used to trigger the grinding sound but I know it should not trigger when double clutching because it's actually the correct way of shifting an asynchronous transmission.

As I said, I don't think it's a bug (as ETS 2's manual shifting is not designed for double clutching) but I would like to know what you guys think about this.

Thanks for the great work.
Reef

Re: H-Shifter gear grinding sound

#2 Post by Reef » 26 Apr 2015 17:17

Kinda agree with you, the "Expert (never set foot behind the wheel of a real lorry) crew" will be along shortly to tell you in their nasally voices that "actually you don't need to 'doubled'clutch' in todays modern synchro meshed trucks"

But the REALITY and the TRUTH of the matter is that any Driver worth his salt (in other words not just a steering wheel attendant) will know how to and actively 'doubled'clutch' a manual.
radmik

#3 Post by radmik » 26 Apr 2015 17:42

Good question ... I am also interested in how to properly shifting gears?

sorry for my bad english,i use google translator
Max
SCS Software

#4 Post by Max » 26 Apr 2015 19:23

default transmission for h-shifter is synchronized manual transmission.

thus, if you did not disabled synchronization (g_hshifter_synchronized 0 in config or console, default is 1) you still have gear with synchronization and rpms are thus irrelevant .. ;)
if you disable synchronization you have to keep engine and transmission rpm close to each other when releasing clutch (max diff cca 20%).

the basic layout based shifting mainly detect timing - you have to give transmission time for actualy shifting the gears. if you hear the sound, you are hurry with clutch release too much. one exception is split shift that can be done instantly just by clutch & switch. second exception is range shift that requires shifter lever to enter neutral position always in adition to timing (you can disable this whole layout checking by g_hshifter_layout_shifting 0, default is 1).

and of course we know, that for the invalid shifting our grinding sound is not good (its rather sound of failed synchronization not shift). gearbox just quietly fails to shift in these cases. when we found better "visualization" we can improve it ...
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Frank

#5 Post by Frank » 26 Apr 2015 21:55

Thanks a lot for the info Max!!

I use a custom range (to match eaton 13/18) so I disabled layout_shifting and now it works 100%.

No longer hear grinding when shifting to N between gears but still when speed is to high or low for gear.

lol, I agree on the sound but for now this new feature is just awesome. :D
SmokinJoe347

#6 Post by SmokinJoe347 » 30 Apr 2015 15:42

Reef wrote:Kinda agree with you, the "Expert (never set foot behind the wheel of a real lorry) crew" will be along shortly to tell you in their nasally voices that "actually you don't need to 'doubled'clutch' in todays modern synchro meshed trucks"

But the REALITY and the TRUTH of the matter is that any Driver worth his salt (in other words not just a steering wheel attendant) will know how to and actively 'doubled'clutch' a manual.

Agree 100% with you both, I hate the new setup and would've preferred the option of A, B or C or something along those lines instead of just changing it and hoping everyone likes it.
It's unrealistic and highly frustrating.
moggy

#7 Post by moggy » 09 May 2015 13:41

Max, thank you so much for informing us about the hshifter layout shifting control. Unfortunately I'm a disabled gamer with only 1 working foot so using the clutch pedal on my G27 is a no no. I used the automatic clutch mode setting in the gearbox and this worked fine. This didn't work with the new patch and my gear changes sounded like I was shaking a bag of spanners! The hshifter layout shifting alteration has worked a treat.

So once again, I thank you and my Renault Magnum's gearbox thanks you too! :D

Happy trucking people.
Jarnold

#8 Post by Jarnold » 18 Nov 2017 10:04

Max wrote: 26 Apr 2015 19:23
if you disable synchronization you have to keep engine and transmission rpm close to each other when releasing clutch (max diff cca 20%).

Max, is this tolerance editable via mods, and if it is, where is the setting?

Return to “Bugs 1.17”