Possible physics issue with braking

nicky@i-mod

Possible physics issue with braking

#1 Post by nicky@i-mod » 08 May 2015 13:14

OK, so this is an odd one and I'm not ready to call it a bug until someone else can confirm if they have noticed it.
Sometimes after coming to a stop the truck bounces backwards, this happens rarely but usually more frequently after harder braking.
What I think is happening is the speed is being decremented below 0 due to a physics frame lagging, but that is a guess based on my own programming experience and what I have seen in Rigs of Rods.
This is not easily reproducible but very noticeable when it happens, as a result I can't attach game logs, but I will try and record what the console outputs next time I notice it.
I did search for such a thing and found no results for anything like this, however, if it has been pointed out before then I apologise for unnecessary posting.
plykkegaard

Re: Possible physics issue with braking

#2 Post by plykkegaard » 08 May 2015 13:20

Confirmed and older than 1.16
I need to apply parking break after stopping but it's a good habit to have anyway
If you release the brakes IRL you really don't know if the truck stays put or starts to move backward or forward

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
nicky@i-mod

#3 Post by nicky@i-mod » 08 May 2015 13:25

Good to hear it's not just me going mad, I spotted it when I started playing back in 1.14 I think but wasn't on the forum then.
I too use the parking brake to stop it rolling, but this isn't like rolling down a slope, it's as if the truck has bounced and is propelled backwards at reasonable speed (which must be quite a shock for the car behind me).
LeafeonGold

#4 Post by LeafeonGold » 08 May 2015 14:40

It has happened to me, it seems like after really hard braking, the truck "rubber bands" in reverse with heavier trailers. Noticable in real automatic when you press the gas and the truck makes the gear shifting sounds but doesn't actually go forward, it rolls back.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
Bandit & The Snowman

#5 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 09 May 2015 19:34

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but this is something quite real :) in fact you can even practise it yourself.

It's an effect that comes from the vehicle pitching forward under braking, this spans the springs. Normally you will keep your foot on the brake, and the vehicle will pitch back into normal position again. But if you release the brakes exactly when the vehicle comes to a stand, that stored energy will convert back into kinetic energy resulting in rolling a bit backwards.

Using your bicycle, you can try to reproduce this in your yard. Roll forward and brake hard. Your arms will serve as springs, and if you release the brakes in the right moment, you can get enough momentum to roll backwards for a meter or so, until you need to set your feet on the ground as this is not the most stable direction to roll ;)
nicky@i-mod

#6 Post by nicky@i-mod » 09 May 2015 20:12

Interesting, while I have done it on my bike (many times), I've been in and around trucks most of my life and have never expreienced it in real life.
I wouldn't have said that a truck is capable of pitching forward to the extent required, even then, is the physics engine accurate enough to simulate this? Actually, it could be an inaccuracy causing the effect to be this pronounced.
I'm going to expreiment some more with it, if it is as simple as spring compression and rebound then it should happen every time.
The good news is now I get to play ETS2 FOR SCIENCE!!!

Return to “Bugs 1.17”