Hey, I'm new!

TitanLongHaul

Hey, I'm new!

#1 Post by TitanLongHaul » 24 Sep 2015 20:31

Hello. I'm a new trucker to the American Long Haul Community. I'm here to ask for some tips and tricks on how to properly play American Long Haul starting off.

I hope this is a nice community which is very helpful and that I can be settled in with. So, here are some questions.

I have never played an 18WOS game and wondering if anybody could help me out. I want to start an ALH campaign. I have set my controls I prefer in the Options > Keyboard setting. My first question is what is the best way to start off? Are there any suggestions on how much I should get payed, starting off, and how far I should be going as a starter? (e.g $9,000 - $12,000 and Seattle - Calgary)
I'm also looking for general tips and tricks, on how to build up in a great trucking simulation game such as ALH. I have seen very experienced players with a lot of money, workers, trailers and trucks. How did you start up and get to the point where you are now? How can I save gas and what is the fastest way to be the King of the Road?

I plan to stay here with a great community and achieve great friends and goals in the game.

Thank you,
Your newest member of the ALH Team, TitanLongHaul
Fsxdude04

Re: Hey, I'm new!

#2 Post by Fsxdude04 » 24 Sep 2015 20:47

Welcome Titan! Be sure to add me on steam via my signature below :P
[ external image ]
Main PC Specs: XFX R7 370 2GB DDR5 AMD A10-6700APU @4.2GHz 6GB DDR3 RAM Corsair CX430 PSU
Laptop Specs: Intel Pentium B960 @ 2.2GHz Intel HD GT1 Graphics, 4GB RAM
TitanLongHaul

#3 Post by TitanLongHaul » 24 Sep 2015 20:50

Thanks, I will soon.
Last edited by Reef on 24 Sep 2015 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Please read the forum rules
Axel Slingerland

#4 Post by Axel Slingerland » 24 Sep 2015 22:20

HowDY! Welcome to the forum.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
ChrisCanfield

#5 Post by ChrisCanfield » 17 May 2016 20:18

Hello, "TitanLongHaul".
Christopher Canfield, here.

1. When u open the game & attempt to create a new game, in the: "NEW GAME" menu . . . .
I recommend u start the game, by using the: "Campaign" mode, then
enter u'r name (IN THE: "Name" BOX), select: "Male",
& lastly, on the bottom of the: "NEW GAME" menu, select: "EASY".

2. I recommend you drive u'r new tractor, to the closest Service Station, to the preferred city headquarters u have chosen, to add the following 3 upgrades to u'r truck: "BBW", "AVI" & "ABS".
These 3, I guess u could call them options, will help you in controlling your new tractor (ESPECIALLY: "BBW").
GAME TERMINOLOGIES:
"BBW": Brake By Wire - improves the braking response of your truck.
"AVI": Automatic Vehicle Identification - allows you to pass through weigh-stations without needing to stop. Note that you will still have to drive through the station.
"ABS": Anti-lock Braking System. These prevent wheel lockup in a hard braking situation, which reduces the chance of skidding.

THIS IS MY PREFERRED: "18 WoS - American Long Haul", Game Playing Objectives.

While u are here, If u wish to take out a few loans, U MAY want to upgrade u'r: Engine & Brakes.
NOTE: If u open from the Start Menu, "Help" file for the Game Title: "18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul", all of this is mentioned in the category's: "Truck Upgrades Appendix" & "Using the Notebook" ! :D

3. If u choose not to do that, Start doing "local deliveries", to start building up your cash flow to eliminate taking out of loans to use the earned cash to upgrade your truck's engine, brakes & transmission.
Along the way, try going to every Hotel on the map, cause that's where you can hire new drivers to further help u in getting more cash flow, too !
Once u have gotten a 2nd driver onboard, u can then start to build up your fleet of trucks for new hireee's (drivers), & trailers, too !
NOTE: There is a way to "cheat" the system, by adding more money WITHOUT the additional work involved, by looking up Cheat Codes for the said gaming title.

Try doing a google search under: "18 wheels of steel american long haul cheats" &/OR
"18 wheels of steel american long haul mods", &
read each one till u find what I am talking about, here.

U will need to edit 2 files, FIRST: (A): "config.cfg" file, located under:
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\18 WoS American Long Haul.
Change the line which reads: uset g_console "0" to: uset g_console "1".
NEXT: open the "game.sii" file.
All of your saved games will be in a folder simply listed as: "save", in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\18 WoS American Long Haul & the "game.sii" file will be listed in this filepath FOR EACH "save" FILE..
NOTE: To properly edit these (2) files, for editing the "config.cfg" file, I highly recommend downloading "Free Editor" program via: http://www.freeeditor.com & for the later file: "game.sii", use the "WordPad" document program already pre-installed on every windows pc, in the Start Menu under: "Accessories".
IF U TRY TO OPEN THESE 2 FILES & MAKE A MISTAKE IN TRYING TO FIND A PROGRAM TO PROPERLY EDIT THEM, U MAY NOT BE ABLE TO REVERT THE SAID FILES, TO THEIR ORIGINAL STATE !

After editing the 2 files, mentioned above, u will also be able to edit the file: "config.cfg", to
Disabling the Police Activity:
(Change

uset g_police "1"

to

uset g_police "0",

Disabling Fatigue in: "config.cfg" file:
(Change

uset g_fatigue "1"

to

uset g_fatigue "0",

Finally, 2 other tips:
SUBJECT: Police Activity Engaged Fines Voided from earned income (IT's BEEN PROVEN EFFECTIVE & REALLY WORKS ! :D)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP: If you run a red light & should u choose that you don’t want to incur the fine & loose money, (if you are able):

1. Park on the shoulder of the road.
2. Shut down the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Turn on your Right Turn Signal & stay put.

It will take awhile to have your Police Activity Indicator decrease,
but will eventually go down & completely disappear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&
SUBJECT: Headlights & Police Note
You must turn ON your headlights at: 7 PM
& keep them on until: 6 AM EVEN IF YOU ARE PARKED or NOT !.

The reason for this is (if failing to do so), that a red bar will gradually fill in, indicating an increase in some illegal activity with the police.

If you heed this, the Police Activity Indicator will drop & disappear.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AGAIN REVIEWING:
Turn ON your headlights at: 7 PM

Turn OFF your headlights at: 6 AM
I hope all of my work to document all of what u were looking for in the major subjected areas is helpful to & for u.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ON ANY 18 WoS - American Long Haul ISSUE THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ANSWER 4 U, IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
Note: I am N O T a forum admin person NOR a moderator.
I am just another gaming consumer, like u'r self.

HAPPY "GAMING" !
Chris Canfield.
Last edited by ohaha on 18 May 2016 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Attachments removed. Please, use an external image hosting service - attachments are reserved for bug reports.
David Paterson

#6 Post by David Paterson » 23 Jul 2021 00:00

I have just bought ALH in a steam bundle and before I start playing I'd also like some tips, like the OP. Thanks for that which was contributed above.

Are all home bases created equal, or do some states have advantages over others? Are there any particular types of truck or trailer that are recommended or best avoided?
David Paterson

#7 Post by David Paterson » 23 Jul 2021 09:45

I tried to play this, but when I hit start, this error message pops up

Operating system failed to provide the window to render the game graphics in. Consult game manual for known workarounds that might improve the games compatibility with your hardware.

Well I read the manual twice and it only says how to play the game, nothing about computer hardware issues.

Oddly, extreme truckers 2 plays just fine on the same system, albeit with a poor frame rate, around 30fps.

Any suggestions, please?
Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 23 Jul 2021 09:55

Knowing nothing about the game - never played it - I can tell you that it is a few years older than Extreme Truckers 2.

First thing I would try is to search for the game executable, enter the properties with a right mouse click, and fool around with the "Compatibility" settings. A natural environment should be Windows XP.
David Paterson

#9 Post by David Paterson » 23 Jul 2021 21:30

Thanks Reinhard. I'm trying to play this on my laptop which runs Windows 7.

I have a PC that runs Windows XP, I use that for ETS 1, but it won't run Steam. I've bought ALH off steam, any idea how I can transport it to my PC?
Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 24 Jul 2021 06:19

No idea if/how it is possible to transfer the game to a PC without Steam. But why don't you install Steam on the other PC? And then download the game with the Steam client, using the same Steam account?

Didn't you try the "Compatibility" settings thing I suggested? Or did it fail? Then I can't help you.

Return to “18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul”