[Guide] How to change MOD folder location

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
thomasa88

Re: [Guide] How to change MOD folder location

#11 Post by thomasa88 » 16 Jul 2019 05:46

airhead wrote: 15 Feb 2017 11:26 Hi,
I'm playing ETS2 on Kubuntu 16.04 and I know the default mod folder location in linux is ~/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2/mod.
[...]
Now, my question is, how can I use the windows mod folder from linux? Will those instructions work from linux too (I mean changing from Steam options) or I must do something else?
On Linux, I used a symbolic link (think of it as a shortcut file on Windows, but more transparent to the applications).
Open a terminal.

Code: Select all

# Go to the ets2 directory
cd '~/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2'

# Original file listing
ls -lh
# You can see the mod directory
# ...
# drwxr-xr-x 2 thomas thomas 4.0K jun 21 21:50  mod
# ...

# Move the mod directory to the large disk, or in airheads case, move it away to a safe place
mv mod /media/large-disk/ets2_mod

# Create a symbolic link to the mod directory to use (Create link pointing to "ets2_mod", call the link "mod")
ln -s /media/large-disk/ets2_mod mod

# New file listing
ls -lh
# You can see the symbolic link ("symlink") to the new location. The line starts with an "l" for link and at the end you can see where it points to
# ...
# lrwxrwxrwx 1 thomas thomas   48 jul  8 19:14  mod -> /media/large-disk/ets2_mod
# ...

# Try the link. If I don't add the "/", I will just see the link, not the contents of the directory it points to
ls -lh mod/
JAKMACK

#12 Post by JAKMACK » 17 Aug 2019 14:44

HALP, the junction just posts in two disks now, the original link source and the new location. It is not storing the data on my other drive with more space making this redundant.
derLPMaxe

#13 Post by derLPMaxe » 11 Oct 2019 14:30

thomasa88's way might looks a bit intimidating to the average end-user. At least it looked intimidating to me.

Here a more UI-based step-by-step guide tried and tested under Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver):

Step 1: Navigate to the disk you wish to store your mods onto by opening Files from the sidebar, then click on "other location", then click on the desired disk.

Step 2: Create a new folder on your other disk you wish your mods to be stored at (e. g. mnt/[DISK NAME]/ETS2MODS/mod) IMPORTANT: The target folder has to be named "mod" to make it as easy as possible. The path must not contain any odd characters like "Space".

Step 3: Open /home in a new tab or window and navigate to /home/.local/Euro Truck Simulator 2/mod

Step 4: Move your mods over to your newly created "mod" folder on your other disk. (Can be skipped if game is newly installed.)

Step 5: Delete /home/.local/Euro Truck Simulator 2/mod. WARNING: If you have not saved your mods yet, they may possibly be deleted!)

Step 6: Open the newly created "mod" folder on the other disk in the terminal. Click-Copy the path in blue WITHOUT the "$"-sign. (It may look something like this: /mnt/[DISK NAME]/ETS2MODS/mod)

Step 7: Open a new terminal (e. g. from the favourites/sidebar). Type but NOT enter: sudo ln -s

Step 8: Click-Paste the previously copied path with a "Space" behind the "s".

Step 9: Click-Paste the following path with a "Space" after the previously pasted path: ~/.local/share/Euro\ Truck\ Simulator\ 2 (The backslashes are important!)

The entered command should look something like this:

sudo ln -s /mnt/[DISK NAME]/ETS2MODS/mod ~/.local/share/Euro\ Truck\ Simulator\ 2
Now there should be a symbolic link made to the newly created "mod" folder on the other disk.

Hopefully I was able to help.

Pictures and further formating may follow.
MooiWark1992

#14 Post by MooiWark1992 » 20 Mar 2020 11:59

For Windows, I'm not becomming any smarter out of this thread at the moment, can somebody explain in simple English how it works?
It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch
Left Lane Bandit
m1keY

#15 Post by m1keY » 22 Mar 2020 14:13

@MooiWark1992 if you know how to add lines in the steam startoptions this can be done aswell...

move your Euro Truck Simulator 2 (or American Truck Simulator ) folder to for example

D:\GAMES\ **HERE**
then in steam startoptions add this line
-homedir "D:\GAMES"

where it will find the Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator folder ;)

remember, where the actual game are installed (steamapps) you will have all of your workshop mods so those are still using drivespace on that drive ( C: ) as an example...game can also be moved obviously
MooiWark1992

#16 Post by MooiWark1992 » 29 Mar 2020 15:41

Startopties - Euro Truck Simulator 2 29-3-2020 17_39_22.png
So I added this and it ain't working...
(I know it is Dutch, but it is steam startoptions)
It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch
Left Lane Bandit
m1keY

#17 Post by m1keY » 30 Mar 2020 19:24

@MooiWark1992 as seen in my example, you shouldn't have the Euro Truck Simulator 2 there unless you have this on your drive

B:\ETS\Euro Truck Simulator 2\Euro Truck Simulator 2 *here should all the files be.. MOD MUSIC SCREENSHOT folders and the other files for the game...

if the Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the actual gamefolder you should have

-homedir "B:\ETS\" 
herman19821

#18 Post by herman19821 » 17 May 2020 07:55

Can i use both folders? Mod in ETS2 in dociments and mod-junction on different disc? Mod -Junction seams to be limited in space
perry1_ca

#19 Post by perry1_ca » 28 Aug 2020 05:43

Hello.
The method with Linkshell doesn't work. After I do all the steps described, if I delete the files in the mod directory, they get deleted in the junction folder as well. How are you supposed to make room on the C drive if you can't delete the files linked. Any ideas to fix this behavior would be great. Thank you.

Return to “Modding Guides”