[GUIDE] Working with textures (images) for games.

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.

Helpful?

Yes
98%
No
2%
Other (Comment)
No votes

Total votes: 107

plykkegaard

Re: [GUIDE] Working with textures (images) for games.

#11 Post by plykkegaard » 29 May 2016 07:24

Paint.net vanilla is so so, but there's like a ton of plugins to improve the capability for image editing, nothing like PS though but well it do come with a nice price tag
Can't adapt to Gimp, probably used paint.net way too much :P

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
SimulatorSam

#12 Post by SimulatorSam » 29 May 2016 07:46

I myself am also a Paint.NET user, and I agree with Drive Safely in that it depends on how much experience you have, and what you're used to. I have learnt how to use Photoshop at school and would probably use it as my main image editing software if only it didn't cost as much as it does, plus paying monthly. :|

I really like the (Can't remember names sorry) 'Fill -> Content Aware' function and the other one in which you paint somewhere and it takes what your paiting from somewhere else in the picture and its so annoying I can't have them. :cry: :lol:

Sometimes I'll have to quickly get something up on Photoshop at school and do it then... :? :oops: :mrgreen: But to be fair, whenever we do PS I always finish my work before anyone else and actually end up going around the class helping others. :lol: 8-)
Oh, same as plykkegaard, can't get used to Gimp either.

Well this turned out as a long post... :oops: :P
scaniac

#14 Post by scaniac » 12 Nov 2016 20:12

well, I have question about skins, I have created skin for RJLs Scania, based on stock Scania Topline and Highline skin with griffin on sides, and my question is: is there any possibility to make this skin paintable (or even metallic paintable), but to keep Topline/Highline 'stickers' and griffin color intact?
here are pic of real truck, and my skin, for now in only one color
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
my Flickr, feel free to take a look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142817695 ... 929025334/
my pc:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.4 GHZ
GPU: N-vidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
8 GB ram memory
Cadde

#15 Post by Cadde » 13 Nov 2016 01:16

I doubt you can make the different colors of topline and the griffin intact. But you can make those part of the flake texture while the rest is metallic as usual.
Mind you, i haven't tried.
On extended hiatus.
Eagle_Eye

#16 Post by Eagle_Eye » 13 Nov 2016 03:22

Scaniac, you can do both, you'll need to create an alpha channel, and leave the areas you want to keep untouched, white, and the areas you want to paint, black.

See my [Guide] viewtopic.php?f=172&t=212788

EE
Last edited by Eagle_Eye on 13 Nov 2016 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Cadde

#17 Post by Cadde » 13 Nov 2016 06:14

I endorse the above message!
As i said, i haven't tried it myself. In this guide i am merely informing users of the fact the alpha channel plays some role.
The shader takes care of the rest.
On extended hiatus.
scaniac

#18 Post by scaniac » 13 Nov 2016 07:37

thanks guys, Eagle_Eye, I'll check your guide, and I'll see what I can do with it
my Flickr, feel free to take a look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142817695 ... 929025334/
my pc:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.4 GHZ
GPU: N-vidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
8 GB ram memory
Eagle_Eye

#19 Post by Eagle_Eye » 13 Nov 2016 07:41

If you need a hand, give me a yell..

Cheers
EE
SilvaTrucker

#20 Post by SilvaTrucker » 19 Nov 2016 14:31

Is there any way to do an perspective warp (that thing you did with the nyan cat) online? Or, atleast, with something lighter thant Photoshop?

Return to “Modding Guides”