[Guide] How to create on-board computer mod.

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
NemesysTrans

Re: [Guide] How to create on-board computer mod.

#81 Post by NemesysTrans » 28 Jun 2021 19:58

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "missing km"...
DerL30N

#82 Post by DerL30N » 02 Jul 2021 13:57

I've been working on this and am also new to ui modding in ets. I've done engines/transmissions https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2101003599 and sounds (voice navigation) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2091107978 before.

I've looked at the route advisor and map to maybe display the actual time of arrival rather then the time left and also the distance to next waypoint or destination.
But so far it appears that I am unable to extract that data with the used IDs and templates from both examples.

I am also wondering how variables can be accessed or exposed.
I've learned that (I assume localization variables) can be accessed like this

Code: Select all

@@trip_len@@

I've tried the following example below with the this result visible on the dashboard:

%1, , %2
[ external image ]

Maybe someone with more experience can help here since it may or may not be major leap forward to finally display route advisor information on e.g. the info dashboard.
NemesysTrans

#83 Post by NemesysTrans » 02 Jul 2021 18:58

I'm not an expert but, in my own experience, if SCS hasn't provided a specific ID for the dashboard definition file, you're pretty much out of luck. The dashboard definition is also poorly documented.
lovegamingema

#84 Post by lovegamingema » 07 Jul 2021 03:49

NemesysTrans wrote: 02 Jul 2021 18:58 I'm not an expert but, in my own experience, if SCS hasn't provided a specific ID for the dashboard definition file, you're pretty much out of luck. The dashboard definition is also poorly documented.
Hi and sorry if I answer only now, I had not received any notification of your answers to my question, I created this mod after hours of browsing the internal dlc of the new daf xg by extracting it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=

I arrived at a command file inside the ui \ dashboard folder called daf_2021.sii and inside there are many command lines, I modified it with notepad++ based on this official page

https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Docume ... boards_IDs

and I changed these parameters, see reference where it says "id" I put 1320 which according to the official website indicates the battery voltage level:

ui :: text_common: _nameless ._. trip {
value: "1485 | km"
look_template: txt.daf_2021.trip_dist
text: ""
coords_l: 524
coords_r: 664
coords_t: 682
coords_b: 652
area_l: 1
area_r: 0
area_t: 0
area_b: 1
id: 1320
layer: 6
tab: -1
pointer: -1
my_parent: _nameless ._. sharedisplay
}

in the site I also found 1530 which establishes - ETA (estimated time on arrival), hidden when time is not available (no delivery, no navigation etc.) which is exactly what I was looking for, but if I set it it does not show me the missing kilometers, it just tells me the percentage of how long it takes to get to my destination!
NemesysTrans

#85 Post by NemesysTrans » 07 Jul 2021 14:48

If you extracted the dashboard definition file (sii), did you notice there are actually 2 files? One is called "daf_2021_mph.sii" and the other one "daf_2021.sii". You need to modify both just to be sure.
Pendikli

#86 Post by Pendikli » 02 Aug 2021 13:20

How do we find the coordinates?
NemesysTrans

#87 Post by NemesysTrans » 02 Aug 2021 13:39

It's more like a trial and error to find the exact coordinate. Just remember that the coordinates 0,0 are at the lower left corner...
Svyatogor2007

#88 Post by Svyatogor2007 » 13 Aug 2021 01:33

Hello, sorry for google translate. There was a problem with adblue bar, I need to set 2 bars on different dashboard pages. The first is fine, but the second is only half filled, since it is 150 pixels wider ... Is there a way to fit the second bar to the desired size?

[ external image ]

Thanks.
nzteddy2020

#89 Post by nzteddy2020 » 07 Sep 2021 23:32

Hello, I would like a trip computer in the RJL 4 series. I can't find anything so I thought I would embark on doing it myself. I plan to read up this guide in detail. But before I do, does anyone know if there's any reason why I should not be able to replace the temperature display in the RJL with a working trip meter? thanks in advance.
NemesysTrans

#90 Post by NemesysTrans » 19 Nov 2021 15:09

Hey @piva ! Are you going to update your guide at some point? There are still things that are unexplained.

For example, from the DAF 2021 dashboard sii file, what does this mean:

max: &429d6666
What kind of value is this?

I've also seen those strange values set for coordinates:

coords_r: &43620001
I have no idea what that means but I'd like to know.

Return to “Modding Guides”