[Guide] How to create on-board computer mod.

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
S3XT9

Re: [Guide] How to create on-board computer mod.

#71 Post by S3XT9 » 15 Jun 2021 17:27

I'm new here. I would just like thank Piva for making this guide. I used to build panels in Flight Simulator with XML. So SCS was a little backwards for me. With the help of this guide I got it figured out and enjoy it. My latest project has been a NexGen dash for the Kenworth W990.
My Map Speculation
https://ibb.co/hgznxD8
S3XT9

#72 Post by S3XT9 » 15 Jun 2021 17:49

Offworld wrote: 23 Mar 2021 18:32 Has anyone found out how to properly use ui_gauge ? I haven't found anything when looking in the dashboards of base trucks.
From the wording, I suppose this makes a digital "meter" and "needle", but I am not sure.

Maybe there is some truck that uses this in ATS, but I do not have ATS...

I wanted to respond to this post. You can find this code in the International Lonestar computer. Here's the path to my base file: ..\ui\dashboard\international_lonestar.sii

These bit of code go strictly to the needle that rotates. You will have to pin them on a gauge background. I'll breakdown the code the specifically deals with the battery gauge.

Code: Select all

ui_gauge : _nameless._.voltage_g {
 min: -108  					// Needle Angle at Minimum Value
 max: 108						// Needle Angle at Maximum Value
 value_min: 10					// Gauge Minimum Value
 value_max: 16					// Gauge Maximum Value
 value: 0						// Engine Off Value
 material: "/material/ui/dashboard/international_lonestar/needle.mat"   // Location of Material File
 xref_pos: 90					// X-Coordinate Point the Needle rotates about on the DDS image file
 yref_pos: 132					// Y-Coordinate Point the Needle rotates about on the DDS image file
 off_x: 0						// X-Axis Offset
 off_y: 0						// Y-Axis Offset
 smooth_move: false				// Behavior between electric on and engine on
 coords_l: 498					
 coords_r: 626
 coords_t: 306
 coords_b: 178
 area_l: 1
 area_r: 0
 area_t: 0
 area_b: 1
 id: 1330						//  Gauge ID
 layer: 4
 tab: -1
 pointer: -1
 my_parent: _nameless._.display6
}
I'm still learning all this. I hope some of this is demystified. I apologize if I'm incorrect somewhere here. I'm still figuring it out.
My Map Speculation
NemesysTrans

#73 Post by NemesysTrans » 16 Jun 2021 03:37

Hey thanks @S3XT9 ! I was just looking at trying to change the water temperature gauge on the new DAF XG. I'm going to play with this a little. Good stuff!
S3XT9

#74 Post by S3XT9 » 16 Jun 2021 10:44

Its strange though. I don't think the following work to change size of the image.

coords_l: 498
coords_r: 626
coords_t: 306
coords_b: 178

Changing them seems to just define the midpoint. The image doesn't resize like other elements do.
My Map Speculation
NemesysTrans

#75 Post by NemesysTrans » 19 Jun 2021 05:42

Yes, something is off somewhere. I tried to change the coolant temperature on the new DAF XG. I initially kept the same angle and other values. I just changed the value_min and value_max and, of course, the id for 1510, since this is the fuel in percentage. Didn't see any change, the bar was about 1/6 down even though my fuel tank was full. I then removed the id and set the value to 50. No change again, the bar was still in the lower part of the gauge. So, I'm not sure the values you mentioned really do what you describe, sorry...

I just checked the values for the RPM on the same gauge, which is also expressed as a bar:

min: -34
 max: &c2a9999a
That doesn't seem to correspond to what you documented. I can't imagine the angle of the needle at max value being such a big number. Angles are expressed from 0 to 360, if I’m not mistaken.

Now, look at the values for the speedometer:

min: 33
 max: &429d6666
 value_min: 0
 value_max: &42dd0000
 value: 110
That seems totally out of whack. How could the value_max be such a large number?

Final note: after changing the id from the coolant temp id to the fuel tank id, the gauge still shows the temperature! I've been running the truck and I see the needle moving along the bar. Further, it seems that there is no dashboard id to express the fuel tank as a ui_gauge, so that's definitely part of my problem...
Etrusan

#76 Post by Etrusan » 19 Jun 2021 06:50

First max is -84.8ish, max is 78.7ish and value_max is 110.5ish.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
Offworld

#77 Post by Offworld » 19 Jun 2021 07:34

S3XT9 wrote: 15 Jun 2021 17:49
I wanted to respond to this post. You can find this code in the International Lonestar computer. Here's the path to my base file: ..\ui\dashboard\international_lonestar.sii

These bit of code go strictly to the needle that rotates. You will have to pin them on a gauge background. I'll breakdown the code the specifically deals with the battery gauge.

I'm still learning all this. I hope some of this is demystified. I apologize if I'm incorrect somewhere here. I'm still figuring it out.
Thank you. I have been able to source the code from the Lonestar in the meantime and somehow managed to get it to work on my interior. In my case, it was a simple needle, so as easy as setting the ref pos to the rotating point.

Looking at the new DAF XG has given me some new ideas, although I am once again amazed by how SCS got the ui_gauge elements to move in such a way that it aligns with the (weird) gauge shape.
I am also wondering how they got the white bars at the end of the gauge, since I can't anything in the dashboard .sii for that.

Looking at the .sii, I also found following attributes:

tab: -1
pointer: -1

I wonder what those do...
[GER,ENG,JPN] AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AsRock X370 Taichi, 32GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC

apparently I am making only interiors and buildings
NemesysTrans

#78 Post by NemesysTrans » 19 Jun 2021 17:27

I watched this video about the new DAF XG. I think that even though SCS did a good job with the gauges, specially the coolant one, from the video below, it doesn't seem that the dashboard in the DAF XG in game is not exactly like the real dashboard. I'm guessing that the weird speedometer gauge was perhaps way too hard to replicate in the game, but they did get one of the theme right:
xXCARL1992Xx

#79 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 19 Jun 2021 17:55

the dashboard ingame is exactly the one you have in real life, at least as much as the game allows it, the dashboard is available in 2 designs the driver can choose from
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
lovegamingema

#80 Post by lovegamingema » 28 Jun 2021 17:50

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to put the missing km in the navigator of the truck rather than having to keep the route advisor open always which is at least realistic, I have already tried some mods or even SIM dashboards, but they do not satisfy me because they are external things , I have to use an external device such as a smartphone in this case and I would like to put the missing kms during a trip directly into the internal navigators (that of the truck and also that of the sisl mega pack) maybe if you are messing with the .sii files, Or in some files you can.
Sorry if I don't speak well but I'm Italian

Return to “Modding Guides”