Fixed truck speed limiter [NOT A BUG]

Cadde

Re: Fixed truck speed limiter [NOT A BUG]

#11 Post by Cadde » 26 Nov 2015 09:08

EvgenKo423 wrote:If yes, then it's unfair to have a speed limiter, because without a cargo a can go as fast as I want, just like a usual car.
You still have separate speed limits from cars when driving a truck with and without a trailer.
In Germany there's a limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) for trucks over 3,500 kg.

Also, in Germany, trucks over 3,500 kg are required to have a built-in speed limiter for a maximum speed of 90 km/h (56 mph).
It's the same in many other countries in Europe.

So no, you can't "go as fast as you want" without a trailer. The limit is on the tractor itself and if you drive without a limiter in Germany you will be on the side of the road with police cars around you sooner or later, taking the bus/train home.

EDIT: Besides, in Russia the maximum speed you can go with a truck is 90 Km/h. I can't find if it differs with or without a trailer but why would you want to drive faster? The max speed limit for cars is 110 Km/h anyways, it's not like those 20 Km/h more is going to make a big difference besides your fuel economy.
How often do you bobtail anyways?
On extended hiatus.
voodoomeatbucket

#12 Post by voodoomeatbucket » 26 Nov 2015 09:40

Different people enjoy this game in different ways. I don't suppose it ever occurred to SCS that some people approach this game as a risk vs reward basis.

If SCS is interested in true competitive "Fairness" then lock everybody's physics settings to full physics, air braking and lock 1st person. If realism is the soapbox that SCS stand on for this then make it realistic and not just punish those who turn off speed limiter.

I want to participate in WoT Contracts but I only have a certain amount of time to play the game. For me and I bet a lot of others crawling along at 90kph exceeds my boredom tolerance. I like the long drives across Europe but I prefer to make it more challenging. I run red lights, I speed and I totally want to do it with the minimum sleep breaks. There are far better ways of tackling this issue like introducing metagame aspects such as insurance with higher premiums for drivers with bad records or civil actions by motorists that get wiped out by reckless drivers.

A completely lazy fix that required no thought at all and punishes probably at least 50% of the playerbase. This is why I won't play ETS Multiplayer. It gets boring so fast.

The whole notion of a ladder should not be based on money earned anyways. There should be many ladders for all sorts of metrics like: damage vs driver time, Top Speed, Most speeding fines, Most red lights run, Safest Driver, Highest Average Job Distance etc. Its all measurable and allows players to play the game they bought as they want. Make them options so that the player decides how their game experience plays out and not some by the numbers crap that seems fair on paper.

Locking a large part of your community out of new developing content is a pretty great way of not selling American Truck Simulator or any future DLC.
ohaha

#13 Post by ohaha » 26 Nov 2015 10:07

Was that a rant? :?

Anyway, all that sounds good, but it takes time to implement and test. So, fingers crossed! :)
Retired, but still loving it.
voodoomeatbucket

#14 Post by voodoomeatbucket » 26 Nov 2015 10:21

Err maybe a little. I just think for a feature that's supposed to be in testing anyways you are locking out about half your player base.

Whats the objective here? Testing back end database connectivity and polling by as many users as possible for the purpose testing client stats for other metagame aspects or formation of a regulated league of stats accessible only to a small portion of the current player base?
Last edited by Flemming V on 26 Nov 2015 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Please don't quote post right above.
EvgenKo423

#15 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Nov 2015 11:18

Cadde wrote:You still have separate speed limits from cars when driving a truck with and without a trailer.
So no, you can't "go as fast as you want" without a trailer. The limit is on the tractor itself and if you drive without a limiter in Germany you will be on the side of the road with police cars around you sooner or later, taking the bus/train home.
I understand that you will have the limits for cars otherwise, I just wanna say that 110 km/h is considerably faster than 80 km/h (which you can make with a trailer).

Cadde wrote:In Germany there's a limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) for trucks over 3,500 kg.
Also, in Germany, trucks over 3,500 kg are required to have a built-in speed limiter for a maximum speed of 90 km/h (56 mph).
It's the same in many other countries in Europe.
I actually not quite understand when I see such restrictions on a signs, because I don't actually know the weight of my truck. How can I find it out in a game? Is it more than 3500 or not? :oops: Thanks for clarification anyway!

Cadde wrote:Besides, in Russia the maximum speed you can go with a truck is 90 Km/h. I can't find if it differs with or without a trailer but why would you want to drive faster? The max speed limit for cars is 110 Km/h anyways, it's not like those 20 Km/h more is going to make a big difference besides your fuel economy.
How often do you bobtail anyways?
Sometimes I drive between cities without a cargo if I want to get to the specific one. I'm looking for a way cargo first, and if I don't find any I go empty.
Or I can take a cargo from some city, which is near to the one I'm in, to the needed one. In that case I also go empty to that near city, and I also should arrive there in-time to have an ability to take that cargo. ;)

In Russia the roads are themselves a speed limiter... :lol:
Max
SCS Software

#16 Post by Max » 26 Nov 2015 11:28

in game, if you have set adviser on "truck speed limit" (see option/gameplay) then you will have displayed maximum legal speed for your truck on given place always.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
EvgenKo423

#17 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Nov 2015 11:37

So, the "truck limit" is some thing that isn't depend on a total weight or handleability of a vehicle+trailer pair, it's just for trucks and nothing matters? Because without a trailer my acceleration / braking / turning intensity is almost like usual cars have. :oops:
Max
SCS Software

#18 Post by Max » 26 Nov 2015 11:39

yes it is. different trucks may have different limits.
adviser gps tells you limit for your truck (or at least your truck class).
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
EvgenKo423

#19 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Nov 2015 11:43

Thanks Max, now I got it.
cosm1c gam3r

#20 Post by cosm1c gam3r » 27 Nov 2015 09:17

jarvik79 wrote:Might or might not be a feature, but it would make sense to be limited, if you think about it, when the ultimate aim of Contracts is functionally multiplayer. It takes "cheating" on the time to complete contract out of scope for all players.

Yup that is reasonable thinking the same I am using so I agree :)

So answering to that resolved topic I would say that it would be uberly silly that one player would use no speed limit and got better score or whatever than player that goes with realism approach that would use speed limit option SO scs did good thoughts about that and decided that this in game option would be disabled to make equal challenge for everybody. It is very logical thing.

Return to “Bugs 1.22”