ATS Multiplayer Discussion.

genbrien

Re: ATS Multiplayer Discussion.

#161 Post by genbrien » 15 May 2021 20:27

I dont care how MP will work, but the only thing I want is the possibility to have mods enabled.
bryntrollian

#162 Post by bryntrollian » 16 May 2021 00:13

That's a good point as well.
leo.arevalo12ss

#163 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 16 May 2021 03:23

Initially it might be vanilla multiplayer but i think once the game updates, mods will eventually become compatible with multiplayer
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
Drive Safely

#164 Post by Drive Safely » 16 May 2021 03:49

I'm guessing there will be a system where you can only join the lobby if you have the same mods and game version enabled. Probably will start with Steam Workshop mod support
flight50

#165 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2021 05:47

^ This is what I think. Mods have to be the same....updates have to be same versions. I find it hard to believe no mod support for MP.
FalleN_KinG

#166 Post by FalleN_KinG » 16 May 2021 11:20

^ I think the same but the question I'm asking is will sound mods work and if so how will they work for instance maybe you can have the mod and hear it but the friend you are with hears the default sound if he does not have it installed ?
Marcello Julio

#167 Post by Marcello Julio » 16 May 2021 11:39

I wouldn't expect support for mods at an first stage. I believe that they will first work on all the elements so that they can support the mods in the future. Especially in the Open Beta where it will be useful mainly to test the servers capacity.
Dood

#168 Post by Dood » 16 May 2021 12:22

Marcello Julio wrote: 14 May 2021 11:59 An approach to an MMO system requires much more resources than the approach to creating a private lobby system. In an MMO style you need dedicated people to always be observe if a problem will happen, more server capacity, among other things.
jarryed wrote: 14 May 2021 12:30
Texshi wrote: 14 May 2021 11:02 Kind of bummed they didn't go with a MMO approach exactly as TruckersMP I don't have pals that play this! :? But it's awesome they are doing multi as i've always wanted it in ATS because I do prefer vanilla over modded anything but mods in multi make a whole world difference such as longer frames and things that never make it to vanilla like more lights options all that good stuff without weird save edits or something so perhaps this will allow mods unlike TMP.
Except that SCS does not have the time, nor the staff to deal with the trolls that will always show up in an MMO style multiplayer. Really don't think they want to babysit a bunch of people.

I would rather have this limited to your friends that you invite only. Even if mods are not supported it is still a great step forward to where I won't ever need to use a hackjob again.
An underage teenager managed to do all this and a big developer studio that frequently gets on to the Steam bestseller lists cannot?
They are no longer a small studio with a handful of people, they grew quite a bit. They can now release DLCs for ATS and ETS on a regular basis, working on them simultaneously.

At the very least if they decide they don't want to spend their money on the moderation team and big MMO servers, they should allow an option to do it for others.
HammerlaneHippie

#169 Post by HammerlaneHippie » 16 May 2021 13:26

A private lobby system would be fine for VTCs but not too good for meeting new friends which, IMHO, is a major reason for having MP in the first place. Some people would resort to sending friend requests through the forum if they wanted to participate at all and many people, myself included, do not like "random friend requests". Anyone who has ever played a multiplayer game can testify to getting unwanted friend requests from hackers and jerks. Speaking strictly for myself, I have no real life friends that play ATS/ETS2 so I would have to try to befriend someone by other means just to get into any private lobby. Maybe the ultimate solution is a combination of the two systems.
The bigger they are, the harder they haul!
Marcello Julio

#170 Post by Marcello Julio » 16 May 2021 14:13

Dood wrote: 16 May 2021 12:22 An underage teenager managed to do all this and a big developer studio that frequently gets on to the Steam bestseller lists cannot?
They are no longer a small studio with a handful of people, they grew quite a bit. They can now release DLCs for ATS and ETS on a regular basis, working on them simultaneously.

At the very least if they decide they don't want to spend their money on the moderation team and big MMO servers, they should allow an option to do it for others.
The big difference is an official version of an SCS MMO for Truckers MP is to support all game features, including AI, all while keeping gameplay stable both in game performance and connection stability, outside, have a large team dedicated only to this area. Yes, Truckers MP was part of that, but they are still very limited.

Return to “General discussion about the game”