Montana Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#341 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Sep 2021 17:23

@Ceco Well MST is the same as PDT during the summer when the game takes place, so effectively they are not in Mountain but in Pacific time.

I've never really noticed, does the game do this correctly? When you cross into New Mexico or Utah the time should jump forward an hour. And when you are in the Navajo Nation, so Kayenta for example is in MDT during the summer.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
rbsanford

#342 Post by rbsanford » 16 Sep 2021 17:31

Maybe MT 200 is small in width and recognition, but it's the longest state highway in the country (fun fact: it's part of a string of continuous state highways numbered 200 that reach as far east as Minnesota). MT 200 would really come in handy for connecting Lewistown to Glendive; it also runs directly between Missoula and Great Falls, bypassing Helena, and also has a direct route between Missoula and Sandpoint, via ID 200. The Lewistown-Glendive connection is the least that should be done, but it shouldn't be considered a low-priority road, IMO (not that it should take top priority, of course).

About Butte: I really hope we get all the crossings of the Great Divide around it. I-90 crosses via Homestake Pass (the highest point of the longest Interstate), and I-15 crosses twice: Deer Lodge Pass to the south, and Elk Park Pass to the north. Homestake and Elk Park are very scenic and have nice grades, but I really hope we get Deer Lodge. Along with Monida Pass at the ID/MT line, I-15 crosses the Great Divide three times, more than any other Interstate; I think that's pretty interesting, and a quirk of the road worthy of being in-game.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
55sixxx

#343 Post by 55sixxx » 16 Sep 2021 18:54

Don't know if it will happen, but i would like to see the whole I-15 with Montana. Since the most southern point is included the game (San Diego), it's only fair that we get the most northern point as well (That could be either Sunburst or Sweet Grass).
oldmanclippy

#344 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Sep 2021 19:26

@rbsanford I think we could see part of ND-200 to get to oil fields north of Dickinson as well. I think we could get it all the way across ND as it's a good halfway point between I-94 and US-2 but we'll see. For Montana, I'd like to see as much of MT-200 as possible. If you want to feel like you're truly in the middle of nowhere in ATS, MT-200 is your road. If WY-450 is ever extended to Newcastle then that would be in the running as well. I've never gone so long without seeing another car before.

MT-200 is really high on my priority list, I'm just not super confident that SCS will see it the same way. You never know though, we did get a decent number of state routes in Wyoming.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Trucker Nik

#345 Post by Trucker Nik » 16 Sep 2021 19:51

@oldmanclippy Yes it's happening, you don't have to worry, I'm very focused on time zones, that's the first thing I've noticed in ETS2 and ATS since they were introduced when I come to the new map extension (DLC)
@55sixxx Yes, we get the whole I-15 with Montana
flight50

#346 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2021 19:52

MT-200 is equal to the US-14 from YS to Sheridan in the Wyoming thread. That would be a huge miss and the same gap that in Wyoming without US-14. I'm with rbsandord. It should be a day one planned road. Lewiston to Glendive is in the same boat. Except we don't need a marked town in between. Too much land for both without a route to access. Wasted space imho.

[ external image ]
rbsanford

#347 Post by rbsanford » 16 Sep 2021 20:58

The 200 also goes through some good badlands.

There's another thing to look forward to in Montana. Eastern Montana may be in the plains, but these are rugged plains, with a lot of banded badlands. I-90 east of Billings and US 212 also go through some of this terrain. There really isn't any boring scenery in Montana, pretty much the whole state has great landscapes.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#348 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2021 22:09

Montana is going to be boringly good with the Great Plains. If you want space and lots of it in remote areas and still be in one state, Montana is your meal ticket. It will be Colorado's US-385 EVERYWHERE East of I-15. Look at all this nothing around this truck. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7825868 ... 6656?hl=en. Lots of space and prairies to look at and drive thru.

We'll have it and Wyoming for awhile though. It should take a minute before the Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas join. But Texas and Oklahoma will be on the menu much sooner. Most people seem to have either wanted Montana or they wanted Texas. I'm team Montana. Its vast lands of beauty. Texas will have its benefits but since I'm in Texas and a city boy, I'm more interested in the wide open wilderness. I'm so happy SCS developed rock formations way back with Utah. They've gotten better and better as time goes on. Montana will benefit from all that. Extending Idaho into Montana will be nice with US-2, US-93, US-12 and I-90. Those I am sure we get guaranteed. From CDA to Missoula, we get 165 miles of goodness. If that can be featured like I-70 in Colorado, I-90 will be awesome scenery with nothing to break the scenery by carving out a city. With only a little scenic going on like Wallace or St. Regis , there is nothing to really break up that stretch of road. We get the Clark Fork River for a good portion along with green rocky cliffs.
angrybirdseller

#349 Post by angrybirdseller » 16 Sep 2021 22:39

Rugged plains will carry into North Dakota west of Dickerson on I-94 can drive around buttes and and canyon till your into Montana. Sure will get nice bodies of water in Montana and buttes and CD canyons as well.
oldmanclippy

#350 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Sep 2021 22:44

Heck even I-94 in MT has some badlands before getting to the main attraction at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Eastern Montana is not what I'd call flat. The Dakotas east of the Missouri River are flat. I-94 in Minnesota is flat. I-90 and I-94 in Montana are rugged.

Return to “General discussion about the game”