How realistic is it?

SmokeyWolf

Re: How realistic is it?

#11 Post by SmokeyWolf » 21 May 2021 03:39

It works just like real life. When we get the red light we have to pull in. Normally we get the bypass lane and don't have to stop to ger weighed.

Some scales red light everyone while others will depend on company safety record, etc. Really depends on the scale masters mood.
luibee

#12 Post by luibee » 21 May 2021 03:57

thank you for your info @Larry71490
xTHANATOPSISx

#13 Post by xTHANATOPSISx » 21 May 2021 22:20

@luibee IRL not all trucks have one of the bypass transponders. It's a opt-in system with a monthly fee. If you don't have a bypass device or if you do but it doesn't give you a direction (system is off at that scale, random error, broken device) then you go by the posted OPEN/CLOSED sign before the scale. Enter if open, don't if closed. Also when I drive I always followed the sign first and foremost. If the sign said CLOSED I wouldn't enter the scale regardless of the bypass device.

Another complication is if you're hauling certain types of loads. Mostly oversize loads or anything classed as HAZMAT. Those loads always have to enter the scales last I knew. They were talking about making some ways to make exceptions for some of that as well around the time I got out of the industry but I haven't kept up to see if anything changed.

Florida also had started the bypass systems at their agriculture checkpoints around the time I quit. I don't remember the rules for any exceptions there, if there were any.

You could also get a combined device that allowed you to use your bypass service and some electronic tolling services with a single transponder.
luibee

#14 Post by luibee » 22 May 2021 03:15

thank you @xTHANATOPSISx

You guys are nice and amazing.

Guess many of you are/were truck drivers in real life? I wonder what a truckie life is like? Any movie/book about it, would love to see your recommendation.

Being in the game is all nice and relax, but I cant imagine how reality turns out.
granitesquare

#15 Post by granitesquare » 20 Sep 2021 15:41

I have set up a single driver virtual trucking company with four different trucks each with slightly different specs. and a couple of trailers. I use rw "average" expense and income data as a baseline. All my jobs are recorded by an automated logging program and recorded on a separate spreadsheet . My objective is to, more realistically, assess the P/L of my VTC. The main item I like to track is the profit/loss per ton per load. It has been interesting to see how variables such as speed, topography, load weight and engine/transmission combinations affect the profit per ton. And yes, as previously stated the this income is drastically less than the game income.
Comfysauce

#16 Post by Comfysauce » 21 Sep 2021 12:51

I realize this post is a little dated, but as a North American Truck driver, I can probably lend some input. As others have said, no. The prices are inflated considerably. If you look at the pay- per- mile, most of the default jobs pay in excess of $50-$80/ mile. The average for an owner operator is much closer to $2-$3/ mile. For example, my current load, which is 580 miles/ 934km pays $ 1,560. That's a little over $2.50/ mile. Hope this helps!
Sora

#17 Post by Sora » 21 Sep 2021 20:30

MT269 wrote: 16 May 2021 15:13 Would you be ok with paying $4000 for a week's shopping, as an example?
If I'm still making $120k for a single round of hauling cabbages from Albuquerque to Salem, I still come out ahead, I think?
luibee

#18 Post by luibee » 23 Sep 2021 02:47

Comfysauce wrote: 21 Sep 2021 12:51 I realize this post is a little dated, but as a North American Truck driver, I can probably lend some input. As others have said, no. The prices are inflated considerably. If you look at the pay- per- mile, most of the default jobs pay in excess of $50-$80/ mile. The average for an owner operator is much closer to $2-$3/ mile. For example, my current load, which is 580 miles/ 934km pays $ 1,560. That's a little over $2.50/ mile. Hope this helps!
thank you very much for your info.

Couple more questions if you dont mind, sir:

1. Besides driving, is there anything else that interests you? Your favorite stops for food, friends...? Are you allowed to take hitchhikers for money?

2. How long does it take to complete a delivery, for instance with your current load 580 miles? After delivery, you have to drive all the way back empty load?

3. You take jobs to all over America or just some particular areas?

Forgive me if it's too personal. Im not an American and one's truck life makes me very curious.
Comfysauce

#19 Post by Comfysauce » 26 Apr 2022 19:35

luibee wrote: 23 Sep 2021 02:47
Comfysauce wrote: 21 Sep 2021 12:51 I realize this post is a little dated, but as a North American Truck driver, I can probably lend some input. As others have said, no. The prices are inflated considerably. If you look at the pay- per- mile, most of the default jobs pay in excess of $50-$80/ mile. The average for an owner operator is much closer to $2-$3/ mile. For example, my current load, which is 580 miles/ 934km pays $ 1,560. That's a little over $2.50/ mile. Hope this helps!
thank you very much for your info.

Couple more questions if you dont mind, sir:

1. Besides driving, is there anything else that interests you? Your favorite stops for food, friends...? Are you allowed to take hitchhikers for money?

2. How long does it take to complete a delivery, for instance with your current load 580 miles? After delivery, you have to drive all the way back empty load?

3. You take jobs to all over America or just some particular areas?

Forgive me if it's too personal. Im not an American and one's truck life makes me very curious.

It's not a problem at all!

1. I'm big into airsoft and music, and gaming of course :p I like to stop at the Bossleman Truck Center in Nebraska, they have the best mozzarella sticks. And I personally am not allowed to pick up hitchhikers, though that might be different for other companies.

2. 580 miles would (on a good day) take only one day. Sometimes I may deliver on the morning of the second day. If things are planned correctly, I will never go home empty. But sometimes it happens, it can depend on how much freight is available in my area.

3. I've been to every U.S. state except Hawaii, and almost every Canadian province, thanks to trucking. So I take jobs all over. :p

Hope this helps!
VTXcnME

#20 Post by VTXcnME » 27 Apr 2022 18:17

Holy resurrected thread batman.

Return to “General discussion about the game”