General AI Discussion

J.Random

Re: General AI Discussion

#181 Post by J.Random » 09 Sep 2021 03:36

clifflandmark wrote: 17 Aug 2021 03:10 AI has disturbing moves, but it's not bad enough to cause AI to be made from zero.
It is. Maybe not from zero, but the root cause of all AI issues seems to be deep in the code. Their AI is, in essence, a finite state machine. The main problem is that the state change isn't atomic/instant but is treated as such. Lane change is one of those. AI checks if anything prevents it from performing the maneuver, then executes it. First of all, update frequency is way too low, meaning there may be _something_ preventing the maneuver by the time AI starts executing it, second - there is NO checks during the maneuver. This issue will not be solved by lengthening the lane change animation - if anything, it will make it worse.
GinXeng

#182 Post by GinXeng » 09 Sep 2021 10:06

The AI needs a complete rebuild
lamar326g

#183 Post by lamar326g » 11 Sep 2021 04:28

I originally brought up the topic of ai parked rigs at truck stops via the 1.41 Discussion Thread as this change occurred during 1.41. My comment was regarding the representation of ai trucks parked at truck stops which currently only include: Peterbilt 579, Kenworth T680, W900, and Volvo VNL. @TruckerDog has confirmed my theory about the current state of parked rigs at truck stops—the current lack of other brand/model representation is due to game performance issues, so SCS has removed the models. I also wouldn't be surprised if an adjustment was made to the current ai truck traffic on roads as well—I noticed an overall decrease in ai truck traffic volume and a lack of high roof T680s and Freightliner New Cascadia's. Another thing to point out, you may notice that the wheel textures on KW T680s now flicker between the white 2 hole wheel and polished aluminum stainless steel wheel.

Parked rigs at truck stops, in my opinion, play just as important a role as ai trucks on the roads—both contribute to the real-life immersion of trucking, with an emphasis on brand/model diversity. Some updates ago, SCS spent a lot of attention revamping ATS' truck stops. Overall, truck stops are more robust (though there's still lots of room for improvement), and ATS has 10 truck models, 6 of which are not currently reflected when you visit truck stops. If SCS can achieve the spawn ratio of trucks on the road and at truck stops as they did in 1.40 (a very good update chapter for this)—I strongly believe ATS will be in good shape again!

I want to get this in front of everyone's eyes because the community values seeing ATS' new rigs in-game (on roads and parked) and I also want to keep the developers' eyes on this so that it's not forgotten about once they've finished making the necessary improvements to the game engine so that it can support this feature.

And for those that are not familiar with my original comment about the above, you can read my report here: viewtopic.php?f=280&t=302529
Trucker Nik

#184 Post by Trucker Nik » 13 Sep 2021 10:30

The overhaul of Al traffic should be done in one update, one that would bring ONLY the fix of Al traffic, nothing else
Tristman

#185 Post by Tristman » 13 Sep 2021 10:41

Why? They might as well bring other features that are ready.
Trucker Nik

#186 Post by Trucker Nik » 13 Sep 2021 11:32

That is actually true, too
BatteryDrinker

Traffic AI needs tweaking

#187 Post by BatteryDrinker » 22 Sep 2021 23:55

First complaint, and the worst offender. Those oncoming cars/imbeciles stopping for me while I'm waiting/slowing down to take a left turn in an no light regulated intersection, or exit.. arghh
It's obviously added in by a developer to handhold the impatient players, but I'd argue it's counter intuitive.
I could understand it if the AI was so advanced that it could sense that the traffic was packed and moving slowly, and one driver wanted to help me out. But not this.. Every car stopping like some good Samaritan, even if he's the only car coming! It's ridiculous, and often wastes more time than if the car had just driven normally by.
So it really does not help gameplay, is not realistic, and infuriates anyone who tries to play realistic.
The worst thing about it, the AI will sometimes start driving again if I decided to take that turn he offered, and then goes ahead ramming into me.. .. SERIOUSLY JUST REMOVE THAT FRIGGEN FEATURE!!!! (pls :D )
Anyways.. whoever dev added that "feature" should be flogged ;)

And what's with the traffic density. I drive on some supposedly busy highway through a big city and there are barely any cars to be seen. Then when I'm at some godforsaken village in the middle of nowhere, the AI decides to pack the one country road with cars :roll:
It's like the AI use the same amount of cars to spawn, no matter the location or road size. (I am sure it's not like this, but it sure feels and looks like it)
THIS NEEDS TWEAKING! Highways through cities --> spawn many many cars around the player. Villages/wilderness --> spawn few cars :idea:

Also, AI vehicles overly use the right lane on multilane roads in towns. Often one lane can be totally congested, while the other one has barely any cars driving on it --and no they're not all preparing for a right turn exit.

Yes I know I am moaning, but many players are trying to play as realistic as possible, not just pedal to the metal ramming their way to their destination type gameplay. It's a sim after all --and yes it's bloody brilliant, but there's always room for improvement.
nautofon

Re: Traffic AI needs tweaking

#188 Post by nautofon » 23 Sep 2021 03:00

Of course you're right.

But evidently, addressing these issues is harder than it sounds. None of them are new, and they've been discussed many times before, in this thread and elsewhere.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Freeze338

#189 Post by Freeze338 » 23 Sep 2021 13:04

@Reignman no you are not doing anything wrong. In ETS2 some of the A.I. vehicles slam the heck out of you in roundabouts no matter what you do. A.I. needs to be fixed for both games.

On highways tho, ATS looks more problematic I agree. I'm wondering is it happening because of the speed gap between trucks and vehicles are different in both games or some sort of coding issue?
J.Random

#190 Post by J.Random » 24 Sep 2021 05:42

It's both. And it's actually worse in ETS2, where you have to worry about speed difference not just near ramps but in general. On highways, highest speed difference for ATS is what, 15 mph? In ETS2, trucks drive 80 while cars may go up to 140, I think (if not higher). That's ~40 mph difference and it means that when you change lanes the idiot far behind you may decide to accelerate and maybe slow down at the very last moment, just in time to get clipped by the very rear of your trailer (or literally slamming into the rear of your trailer) - even if you had your turn signal on.
AI detection range is too short and decision-making time is too long - that's the code part which has to be optimized or rewritten.

Return to “General discussion about the game”