Total votes: 502

interstate trav

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5451 Post by interstate trav » 25 Sep 2021 04:54

Please bring Montana afrter Texas, I the map needs to be that way
clifflandmark

#5452 Post by clifflandmark » 25 Sep 2021 06:55

I agree with what Vinnie said. There's a logarithmic development in Flight Simulator.MSFS2020 was beyond our expectations and Its OK at 1:1. Aircrafts are fast and they don't have to follow roads.I'm not sure which route is the longest for flights.LAX to Australia may be ? It takes almost 13 hours afaik.
flight50 wrote: 22 Sep 2021 17:33 I like 1:20 though. I know I can sit and complete a job in x amount of time and not have play 2-3 sessions to complete a job.
And how long 3000 miles should take ? I could do 1000 miles in a session but I prefer 500 miles nowadays.even 1:20 is too much on computer chair.
Vinnie Terranova

#5453 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 25 Sep 2021 07:18

Personally speaking, for me the most important thing about ATS is driving. So the job distance is totally irrelevant for me. If I can do a job in one session or in several sessions, I don't care, as for me the main purpose of ATS is driving.
flight50

#5454 Post by flight50 » 25 Sep 2021 13:14

Once a person is above level 30, the grind isn't bad at all. There is nothing to work towards once all your skill points are maxed out. So wanting to get to the next job isn't so bad for some. Still, I don't want to drive several sessions and still be on the same job. I do that on occasions only because I don't have time to sit longer than 1.5-2 hrs before I get tired, sleepy or need to do something else. Lately I've been doing a lot more contract jobs. If you run out of time, you late. I've been taking a lot of late penalties this year alone than I've had the entire previous years of owning ATS. Just not enough time to play anymore but its my love so I have to put some type of time in it. I tend to stick with 300-800 mile jobs myself. Even that depends on how much time I spend.
Bob123412

#5455 Post by Bob123412 » 25 Sep 2021 19:17

I find the map is really good at the scale, and it really captures the essence of long haul trucking in the US, however it really lacks the feeling of being an urban truck driver which is also a large portion of trucking in the US especially on the east coast where it's practically on big sprawling city. I think it would be nice to see a few cities 1:1 maybe just take some of the most iconic cities in America. Or the cities with the largest amount of industrial. Just so that if players want to get a feel for the other side of the industry they can. Adding this wouldn't make much sense until multi drop is added as the majority of city driving is multi drop cargo.
oldmanclippy

#5456 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Sep 2021 23:01

I think it would be an interesting experiment (and exercise) for SCS to release a separate truck simulator game (when the tech improves) that recreates an entire city in 1:2. 1:1 is tricky for cities because you pretty much have to either a) recreate almost every building or b) use generic buildings for all but the important ones. Either way it's gonna be difficult to suspend the player's disbelief at 1:1. But 1:2 or maybe 1:1.5 would work. Not every road would be usable obviously but the main ones would be. It could let their city mappers really develop their skills and let their modellers go to town. Dive deep into a single city and explore all the main trucking routes and industrial areas. It'd be a fascinating change of pace from what they've been doing.

This could also be part of a hypothetical "Truck Simulator Anthology" type of game that Pavel has discussed before, where one minute you can be trucking in Canada, the next in Indonesia, the next in New York City, etc.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Bob123412

#5457 Post by Bob123412 » 27 Sep 2021 00:03

A lot of cities are very copy paste as it is and you can go for blocks and only see one or two house/building designs. Of course over the course of a whole city even with one model every few blocks that is still a huge amount of models. Generic buildings would probably be better anyway. It would be hard to get licensing agreements from all the thousands of different businesses to allow there logos to be used.

The real question would be, would it be possible to create an AI that could just pull the data from google street view and then dump it out as a 3d Playable map, in a similar way flight simulator used satellites to create the majority of their map.
angrybirdseller

#5458 Post by angrybirdseller » 27 Sep 2021 01:06

Newer map DLC so not see click and paste towns like I did with very early maps made in ATS. Yes, they reuse assets but new assets mix them around make it look unique. The housing stock it's very hard to make distinct as generic styles will be sufficient.

The flight simulator based technology for scenery has its problems at ground level looks horrible at 30,000 ft looks realistic, but even VFR flying at 2000 ft agl the world looks horrible as building don't align with ground texture all the flickering on the ground at far distance.

Fly 737 vs 152 Cessna you can see downside auto generated scenery all more.

The east coast 10 years away to even start on Maryland all the up to Massscuttes. Northeast has lots of tolls roads and ways to bypass New York City.
Tristman

#5459 Post by Tristman » 27 Sep 2021 05:15

oldmanclippy wrote: 26 Sep 2021 23:01 I think it would be an interesting experiment (and exercise) for SCS to release a separate truck simulator game (when the tech improves) that recreates an entire city in 1:2. 1:1 is tricky for cities because you pretty much have to either a) recreate almost every building or b) use generic buildings for all but the important ones. Either way it's gonna be difficult to suspend the player's disbelief at 1:1. But 1:2 or maybe 1:1.5 would work. Not every road would be usable obviously but the main ones would be. It could let their city mappers really develop their skills and let their modellers go to town. Dive deep into a single city and explore all the main trucking routes and industrial areas. It'd be a fascinating change of pace from what they've been doing.

This could also be part of a hypothetical "Truck Simulator Anthology" type of game that Pavel has discussed before, where one minute you can be trucking in Canada, the next in Indonesia, the next in New York City, etc.
This would be very cool indeed. They could do a huge city or a metropolitan area made out of several big cities close to each other. In combination with rigids or other more city-friendly trucks and downtown drop-off points, this could satisfy a lot of wishes on the forums that are highly unlikely to be fulfilled in ATS.
Madkine
Global moderator

#5460 Post by Madkine » 27 Sep 2021 08:38

A single city at 1:2 would probably take their entire current mapping teams 5 years or more to build.
If you were going to do this, you'd release a small portion of the city up front and extra area's would be DLC.
And I think you'd be better off at 1:5 rather than 1:2. 1:2 is still too close to real life (modelling every second building), whereas 1:5 is different enough to be able to recognise individual buildings but not expect every building to be in the game.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “General discussion about the game”