ATS 1.43 speculation thread

Wacky Geek

Re: ATS 1.43 speculation thread

#41 Post by Wacky Geek » 26 Oct 2021 09:12

I would like to also know who he is :D
Seasons is something I would love to have from bottom of my fluffy heart! And the moon!
#BestCommunityEver I lough a lot every time I see that. Maybe it was once upon a time, but not anymore
flight50

#42 Post by flight50 » 26 Oct 2021 12:33

I think Paul as in Squirrel.
oldmanclippy

#43 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Oct 2021 13:25

Paul is a typo for Pavel surely, Pavel has mentioned seasons before as a long-term wishlist (but nothing to be confirmed at the moment) sort of thing.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
flight50

#44 Post by flight50 » 26 Oct 2021 13:39

^Ahh. Didn't think about Pavel, lol. Could be a typo. Yeah it was the 2018 June stream when Pavel acknowledged that at some point, they have to add seasons. It was one stream when he said they hired a person to look into it (I can't recall if it was the same June 2018 stream though) but not to long ago, he said he didn't have a person working it. Perhaps someone is back on it, perhaps not. But the issue was not implementing it, it was implementing it to be realistic. Dynamic is what Pavel wants. He mentioned they could do quest/mission with static weather though. I think seasons would be the biggest game changer to date though. Seasons is like playing a totally different game. One day, we just might get it.
Trucker Nik

#45 Post by Trucker Nik » 26 Oct 2021 13:56

Yes, my mistake, it was supposed to be Pavel, not Paul, I fixed the mistake, I use a google translator for communication, he translated the word Pavel on Paul
oldmanclippy

#46 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Oct 2021 19:47

Lucky for us we have Grimes' excellent winter weather mods which work really well for certain areas of the game, although green shines through on other areas where SCS uses a specific paintbrushing-green-grass-onto-the-ground technique.
flight50

#47 Post by flight50 » 26 Oct 2021 21:12

I wish for the xmas events, SCS would winterize the map if its a static change and simple enough. That would get even more support to play during the event.
oldmanclippy

#48 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Oct 2021 17:08

All they'd have to do is fix their annoying green paint thing I mentioned and contract Grimes and they're good to go. Easier said then done on all fronts of course :lol:

Yes, seasons are a big challenge and a massive undertaking, but if a modder can do it on their own free time and reasonably keep pace with SCS's updates, then SCS could do it. It's just about to what extent they want to do it. Do they have 4 static seasons and call it a day? Do they make it more dynamic, with gradual weather changes based on the day of the year? Some years snow could come early, others it could come late. Some weeks would be very wet, others would be very dry. Give the player a slider that they can set all parameters, from cloud cover to precipitation to temperature to wind. That seems more difficult to implement but possibly less upkeep in the long run if snow was dynamic and not just texture and model replacements. Of course model replacements will be necessary unless they go all out and make every tree in the game dynamic, but that seems extreme.

All the road closure barriers sitting unused in Wyoming is too enticing and teasing. Yes, I know that means nothing for whether or not seasons are coming someday, but at least it's one less thing SCS would have to add. They'd just have to make them functional and add the detour roads.

I will definitely be switching to my winter profiles the first day it snows at my home. Which could be anywhere from next week to December knowing the volatility of Minnesota weather. Grimes' winter mods improve the base map so much because they hide the poor textures, leaving only the unrealistic road networks and city designs behind.
dkasper00

#49 Post by dkasper00 » 27 Oct 2021 18:48

I want season in game really badly, BUT I want it to be regional accurate for example no snow in places that will never see any kind of snowfall. Some places green up during the winter months.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
flight50

#50 Post by flight50 » 27 Oct 2021 21:32

^And that is the hard part I bet. Making it realistic enough to make it feel right. If they can solve that, dynamic weather would be great. Otherwise, static works. If at least static was giving to start, then SCS just has to work out the kinks to get it dynamic. Events can be set up static wise. Seasons won't be perfect I'm sure and I bet that is what Pavel is worried about. As long as they make a valid effort, I bet it could turn out pretty reasonable. Just like everything else, it can get tweaked over time to better perfection if possible.

Return to “General discussion about the game”