Evil gas stations and you

room217au

Re: Evil gas stations and you

#11 Post by room217au » 14 Feb 2016 23:17

Murph wrote:You would have to do some highly unusual routes to not come across easy refuelling opportunities many times within 1500 miles.
"Plan your trip" eh?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Lexx

#12 Post by Lexx » 14 Feb 2016 23:24

Belan wrote:Actually trucks don't pull into small gas stations like that. They usually go for stations that have dedicated diesel pumps. Realistically speaking of course.
Depends on the country, probably. You can see anything in our gas stations:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
Jackrabbit_v6

#13 Post by Jackrabbit_v6 » 15 Feb 2016 01:08

ancienthighway wrote:I've found the the turn in doesn't need to be quite as extreme as in the video. I've actually had more problems recently from trying to enter with a "right direction" approach. :lol:

I do agree with Murph, once you have your own truck, it's easy to plan trips so that fuel stops become a rare occurrence while on a job.
yea i might have exaggerated a little here, but the purpose was to clearly show the "take the space you need, all of it", which is a principle that does not only apply to gas stations but to many maneuvers you might face while trucking... Thats really all the video is, a very quick rundown to get an idea how you can get around things :)

and yes, it would be wiser to take care about fuel before the run or plan the route accordingly... but still, one day one might need to go to such a station :)

oh yes...the "right direction" approach can be a bit tricky as well, depending on the vicinity of the station ...might try a wide Z course
Bug Lyfe

#14 Post by Bug Lyfe » 15 Feb 2016 02:09

yes these fuel stations are something you would never see driving a truck irl. there are smaller ones, but they will still have large bays with nozzles on both sides for big trucks. even in LA some of the truck places are pretty small, they aren't this small. you will have room to maneuver with a trailer or be able to pull through.
nater6540

#15 Post by nater6540 » 04 Aug 2021 20:21

I found a solution to that problem, disconnect the tractor (after finding somewhere large enough to drop the trailer or whole trailer combination without it blocking up the flow of traffic), drive up to the gas station, refuel the tractor, then reconnect your trailer and leave. I don’t know why it took me until 400 gameplay hours later to realize that was possible, I’m an idiot.
Last edited by nater6540 on 25 Mar 2022 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
J. Ritter

#16 Post by J. Ritter » 05 Aug 2021 13:08

I worked at small station like this in Alabama when I was 22 (back in 2001). Though it was rare, we did occasionally get a big rig pulling through to use the diesel pumps. It happens. Of course, the station was near an Army base and in a pretty industrial-based town, so I am sure that helped "up" the occurrences.
hangman005

#17 Post by hangman005 » 06 Aug 2021 04:34

The biggest thing I've got through this thread is holy necrobump batman lol. That said I have been known detach trailers if to fill up if there was not other option available to me.
ATS HQ: Las Vegas, NV
ETS HQ: Innsbruck, Austria
Promods Euro HQ: Reykjavik, Iceland
EllieODaire

#18 Post by EllieODaire » 09 Aug 2021 01:50

So, fun thing, I have filled a semi at a pump like this IRL. They can be somewhat common in really rural areas (Canada apparently has a lot like this but I encountered it in Idaho and Montana). Really small towns often only have one fuel station that is designed mainly with cars in mind, but typically the pump at the very end of the row will have a high-flow diesel nozzle with a really long hose so semis and farm equipment can pull up and fill there. You can only fill one tank at a time, but the hose is long enough that you can fuel both sides without having to turn around. I even managed to fill a reefer fuel tank having pulled in the wrong way by crawling under the trailer with the nozzle.

Real life ones usually have more space between the pumps and the road though, so it isn't too difficult to get the truck into the pump with the most complicated maneuver involving having to drive behind the gas station to line up with the pump without leaving the trailer blocking an exit.

Return to “General discussion about the game”